Defcon Modern Warfare (yeah, sue me)

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:21 pm

nuclear cocaine wrote:I love the North American Alaskan navy birth ! I think the mod is incomplete south America and australia should be added into the game ......Cant you make 8 territories that only 6 can be chosen?

I don't think so.
ChemicalRascal
level1
level1

Postby ChemicalRascal » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:26 am

Technically, you could create 28 variations, each one having two different nations excluded from the map. But you'd have to be mad to even consider that.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:31 pm

Synapse wrote:
nuclear cocaine wrote:I love the North American Alaskan navy birth ! I think the mod is incomplete south America and australia should be added into the game ......Cant you make 8 territories that only 6 can be chosen?

I don't think so.

As alluded to by ChemicalRascal, it is impossible to have more than 6 territories in the game. The game is hard coded to have exactly 6 territories. You can create mods with fewer than 6 territories, but then you can't select territories randomly. More than 6 territories is beyond the ability of modding.

xander
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:05 pm

ChemicalRascal wrote:Technically, you could create 28 variations, each one having two different nations excluded from the map. But you'd have to be mad to even consider that.

I considered it a while ago for 2v2 games with more variations. I would have Dedcon, the dedicated Defcon server, pick one of the variations at start randomly and force every joining player to automatic activation. But it still isnt handy enough for singleplayer and for multiplayer you would need a quiet big bunch of players willing to install a 28 mods pack.
nuclear cocaine
level4
level4

Postby nuclear cocaine » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:02 pm

cant you make australia part of asia ,north africa part of eu and sa part of the us?
Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:49 pm

nuclear cocaine wrote:cant you make australia part of asia ,north africa part of eu and sa part of the us?

I could but it is not the purpose of my mod. A scenario in which australia and South America are involved in launching nukes doesn't equate with my modern warfare mod. To be honest, I would scrap south africa if I was going to edit the factions, leaving it with only USA, China, Russia, Middle East and European Union. You might find the amount of empty space boring, but I want empty space. I think it is good that your bombers/fighters are flying over neutral territories before engaging with each other. I disliked the original defcon map for including nearly all countries in the conflict.

Other things I was considering editing within the factions are:
- Somalia or Egypt joins the Middle Eastern faction
- Ukraine leaves Europe becoming neutral
- Libya/West Africa is somehow incorporated into the game
- South Korea and Japan are somehow incorporated into the game

As always though your input is the best thing for helping me to shape version 2 of the mod, so thanks for the ideas.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:23 pm

Synapse wrote:- Ukraine leaves Europe becoming neutral

It's only fair, since Ukraine isn't in European Union and it's Constitution declares neutrality.
Admiral Yoshi
level3
level3

Postby Admiral Yoshi » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:30 pm

Synapse wrote:
nuclear cocaine wrote:cant you make australia part of asia ,north africa part of eu and sa part of the us?

I could but it is not the purpose of my mod. A scenario in which australia and South America are involved in launching nukes doesn't equate with my modern warfare mod. To be honest, I would scrap south africa if I was going to edit the factions, leaving it with only USA, China, Russia, Middle East and European Union. You might find the amount of empty space boring, but I want empty space. I think it is good that your bombers/fighters are flying over neutral territories before engaging with each other. I disliked the original defcon map for including nearly all countries in the conflict.

Other things I was considering editing within the factions are:
- Somalia or Egypt joins the Middle Eastern faction
- Ukraine leaves Europe becoming neutral
- Libya/West Africa is somehow incorporated into the game
- South Korea and Japan are somehow incorporated into the game

As always though your input is the best thing for helping me to shape version 2 of the mod, so thanks for the ideas.

Have you considered the options of adding India, Pakistan, Israel, and North and South Korea?
Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:59 pm

Admiral Yoshi wrote:
Have you considered the options of adding India, Pakistan, Israel, and North and South Korea?

You mean as invidiual nations? Pakistan, Israel and North Korea all feature on version 1 of my mod. India would have to be an invidiual nation the problem being that it neither has strong ties with China or the Middle East. South Korea would have to belong to the USA and so would Japan if I incorporated either of those.

The other alternative is to of course have India allied with britain, but that would mean getting rid of Europe and creating like a British commonwealth faction . As you can see I have quite a lot of things to juggle. The USA already has jerusalem as a radar advantage and I think fragmenting it to South Korean and Japanese cities (which are undefensible) would be really unfair.

I think the USA and Israel faction is complete, and I'm content with it. I am also content with China/North Korea, and Russia. So the factions that are 'up for debate' as it were are Europe, The Middle East and South Africa (which is my least preferred faction at the moment).

Yet another alternative would be to allow the US to spawn navies near to Japan and South Korea, as they are positioned today, but without incorporating the land territory. The danger is this would completely throw gameplay to the point where the USA has so many options of where to place its fleet that it is impossible to form a good strategy.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:54 am

With the overall reduced territory area and small fractions and because you aim for some realism, I suggest you propose your mod beeing played at 200% world scale.
Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:08 pm

trickser wrote:With the overall reduced territory area and small fractions and because you aim for some realism, I suggest you propose your mod beeing played at 200% world scale.

I didn't actually think about messing with the scale. I will try this and see how it affects gameplay.
Admiral Yoshi
level3
level3

Postby Admiral Yoshi » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:50 pm

Synapse wrote:
Admiral Yoshi wrote:

You mean as invidiual nations? Pakistan, Israel and North Korea all feature on version 1 of my mod. India would have to be an invidiual nation the problem being that it neither has strong ties with China or the Middle East. South Korea would have to belong to the USA and so would Japan if I incorporated either of those.

The other alternative is to of course have India allied with britain, but that would mean getting rid of Europe and creating like a British commonwealth faction . As you can see I have quite a lot of things to juggle. The USA already has jerusalem as a radar advantage and I think fragmenting it to South Korean and Japanese cities (which are undefensible) would be really unfair.

I think the USA and Israel faction is complete, and I'm content with it. I am also content with China/North Korea, and Russia. So the factions that are 'up for debate' as it were are Europe, The Middle East and South Africa (which is my least preferred faction at the moment).

Yet another alternative would be to allow the US to spawn navies near to Japan and South Korea, as they are positioned today, but without incorporating the land territory. The danger is this would completely throw gameplay to the point where the USA has so many options of where to place its fleet that it is impossible to form a good strategy.

1. Well, you can add more territories to the faction. I mean that you can add territories but only 6 players get to choose 6 out of how many nations and countries and allies you have.

2. The United States Navy has a big influence on the entire world. But it doesn't own the Japanese waters, so I say that you shouldn't include Japan.

3. India should be a separate nation. If you can, give India Nepal and all the Himalayan countries.
Tutteman19
level0

Postby Tutteman19 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:06 pm

The US might not own Japanese waters, but I believe it still has several military bases in the country. Even if not they could be using local facilities.

I think the main problem though would be the possible balance issues with giving USA all these places it can place units.
Synapse
level2
level2

Postby Synapse » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:25 pm

I really have some kind of psychological problem with making India a playable power, and I can't quite put my finger on why. It just doesn't seem right.
Admiral Yoshi
level3
level3

Postby Admiral Yoshi » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:41 pm

Synapse wrote:I really have some kind of psychological problem with making India a playable power, and I can't quite put my finger on why. It just doesn't seem right.

India has nukes to destroy Pakistan. I suggest you place in India.

Return to “Mod Projects”