Modify Countries

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

dolin
level0

Modify Countries

Postby dolin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:57 pm

Hi,

I would like to modify the countries in game, like the areas where you can put your subs and ships, and to include some unused territories (such as Greenland)
Note that i'm not using the default DefCon map, but it shouldn't be a problem

This is my first attempt at modding, so can anyone help me?

Thanks very much for any effort!
Eagle1_Division
level0

Postby Eagle1_Division » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:10 pm

1. First, you need to unzip the main.dat, that contains all the game data, just copy it and rename the copy main.rar and you can unzip it.

2. Second, create a "mods" folder in the same location as defcon.exe

3. To make a mod, put a folder in the "mods" folder and rename the folder to whatever you want the mod's name to be.

4. Then add a folder called "data" in your mod's folder, and that will act as the main.dat for your mod.

5. After backing up your main.rar, modify whatever files you like, then put them in the data folder as if it were the main.dat (i.e., if it's location used to be main.dat/graphics/blur.bmp, then it's new directory will be /[your mod folder]/data/graphics/blur.bmp.

That's preatty much it. Don't hesitate to ask me to clarify anything. You should find countries preatty quickly, they're under the folder called earth. You can't use standard win7 .bmp compression, though, simply checking the file size will tell you if it's the wrong compression of bmp. If you're having problems with that then I'd suggest using gimp, it's how I solved the problem.
Oh, and land is pure white (RGB: 255, 255, 255) and naval area where you place ships and such is grey (RGB: 155, 155, 155)
dolin
level0

Postby dolin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:32 pm

Eagle1_Division wrote:1. First, you need to unzip the main.dat, that contains all the game data, just copy it and rename the copy main.rar and you can unzip it.

2. Second, create a "mods" folder in the same location as defcon.exe

3. To make a mod, put a folder in the "mods" folder and rename the folder to whatever you want the mod's name to be.

4. Then add a folder called "data" in your mod's folder, and that will act as the main.dat for your mod.

5. After backing up your main.rar, modify whatever files you like, then put them in the data folder as if it were the main.dat (i.e., if it's location used to be main.dat/graphics/blur.bmp, then it's new directory will be /[your mod folder]/data/graphics/blur.bmp.

That's preatty much it. Don't hesitate to ask me to clarify anything. You should find countries preatty quickly, they're under the folder called earth. You can't use standard win7 .bmp compression, though, simply checking the file size will tell you if it's the wrong compression of bmp. If you're having problems with that then I'd suggest using gimp, it's how I solved the problem.
Oh, and land is pure white (RGB: 255, 255, 255) and naval area where you place ships and such is grey (RGB: 155, 155, 155)

Thanks for the fast reply, i have a few questions.
Which program do you suggest for modifying the .bmp?
Also, is there a way to overlap the countries files (main\data\earth\russia.bmp for instance) with the map file (main\data\graphics\map.bmp), to aligh the borders of the usable territory with the map lines? That would make life so much easier for me

Thanks again!
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:25 pm

dolin wrote:Also, is there a way to overlap the countries files (main\data\earth\russia.bmp for instance) with the map file (main\data\graphics\map.bmp), to aligh the borders of the usable territory with the map lines? That would make life so much easier for me

Thanks again!

See here. You can more or less draw borders using a picture template of anything.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:10 am

I love that zach's programs are still being mentioned. You will like this program if you try it out. I would also love to see updates and screenshots when you get it underway.

Return to “Mod Projects”