can this be done?

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Defcon_one
level1
level1

can this be done?

Postby Defcon_one » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:38 am

Hi! im a long time player of defcon and recently dreamed my own RTS the other day. I have written a short design brief on it. Since i have little experience in making games (a little with simple game maker" and game maker isnt RTS ready i decided to mod defcon as my game, because its more like defcon then any RTS i have played before. I jumped on here and found a mod guide and was dissapointed when i realised you cant add units. so, obviously i cnat use defcon. I come here to ask for help, If my mod can be made with defcon, tell me how or, if you know of a way i can it do please tell me. I'm sorry if this isnt the place to post this. this is the only place i know ><

Domination

The land is divided into around 30 territories; you start with one and must capture 80% to win the game while your opponent does the same. to capture a territory, simply move a unit (that can capture territory) into no man’s land and wait. To capture a territory controlled by the enemy simply destroy any enemy forces in the territory and wait. Before you can capture it you will need to de-capture it from the enemy. Similar to control points in FPS games (battlefield, battlefront, frontlines, unreal tournament ect). To capture a territory it must connected to one of your existing territories unless you’re capturing it with a special ops team.

Once a territory is captured you may build a building in it (free of UP)

Buildings
Each territory has room for one buildings, choose wisely.
Radar:
Without radar, you can see the occupants of adjacent territories only. The radar with further this and allow you to see the occupants of territories one space ahead. Further more, he Radar will detect camouflaged units within its own and adjacent territories.
R= radar, t = territory, T=owned territory, X=Fog of war
Rttx
Ttxx
Airbase
Air bases are used to deploy bombers and fighters, they also return to the closest airbase once their mission has been complete.
Warbase
Warbase’s are used to deploy ground based armies
Naval base
Naval base’s can only be built on shores; they are used to deploy transport ships and destroyers
Defensive enplanement
Will automatically target hostiles, three modes. Surface-to-surface; Surface-to-air and Surface-to-sea. Can only be in one at a time and needs to be changed manually.

AT the start of the game you have a preset among of UP (i haven't worked that out yet though) to spend on units. Once a unit is destroyed you slowly remake its costs back in UP.

Units
Units can only target enemies within the same territory unless otherwise said.
Infantry battalion:
Then infantry battalion is the fastest ground unit in the game. Armed with assault rifles they can take enemy out tank hunter squads, Spec ops teams and close snipers with ease, However they have trouble attacking armored vehicles. They can capture territories.

Tank hunter squad:
The tank hunter squads only little slower then infantry battalions. They excel at taking out tanks, AA trucks and buildings but have little effect on all manner of infantry. They can capture territories.
Armored tank division
Armored tank divisions are the slowest of ground units on the battlefield, but are un rivaled in attack and HP. They can take out buildings, AA trucks and infantry battalions with ease, But are near defenseless when faced with bombers or tank hunters. They can capture territories.
Sniper teams
A two man sniper team is one of the three units that can attack enemies in an adjacent territory. They are slow, and have low HP but are camouflaged from radar and preying eye until they fire or their territory is moved into by an enemy. Sniper teams cannot capture territories but can move into no man’s land and enemy territory’s to get a shot. They are unprecedented in taking out all manner of infantry, but cant attack armored targets. If the territory they are occupying has an enemy move into it they will be immediately seen and probably killed. SO keep an eye on them to keep them alive.
AA trucks
AA, like the name suggest, are trucks fitted with anti-air guns . They are able to fire heat seeking missiles that will follow a target until it is hit or destroyed. They are able to fire on enemy bombers and fighters. On top of that they come with a AA Gatling cannon for shooting down any enemy missiles, so they make a excellent retreating point for allied aircraft. (They can only be in one mode at a time, AA, or anti-missile. Default is AA, but can be manually change at any time) They cannot capture territories and cannot fire on ground targets. They can attack aircraft in adjacent territory.
Fighters
Fighters are the scouts of the game; they can fly long distances very fast. They are the fastest unit, able to out run an AA missile except when turning or attacking. They are able to detect enemy, bombers, sniper teams and SpecOps teams even when they are camouflaged and will automatically attack those targets.

Bombers
Faster then a tank but not as quick as tank hunters the bombers are high flying camouflaged on approach. They can attack any target but are most effective on tanks, AA guns, naval transport and buildings. A moment before they have dropped their payload camouflage is turned off and not turned back on until they reach an air field. If detected by a fighter or radar they can be fired on by enemy fighters and AA guns
SpecOps team.
Spec ops team is camouflaged and can infiltrate behind enemy lines and perform a number of tasks. They can disable an enemy radar or air field. Though, they will need to stay in the territory to keep the building disable. They can hack into a enemy War base to gain information (number of territories controlled, Number/types of units active. Amount of UP)SpecOps team cannot attack units, they can however disable AA trucks And do not need to stay in the territory to do this. However the team isn’t camouflaged while planting the EMP charge on the truck. A spec ops team can capture an enemy territory with no buildings (Destroy a building with bombers and capture with spec ops)
Naval transport
Naval transports can carry ground units across water, they however cannot attack. They are camouflaged except when picking up/dropping off ground troops.
Destroyer
The destroyer is a naval fortress,. It is quite fast, and can attack anything. It has AA capabilities and doubles as an aircraft carrier for bombers and fighters to get fuel on long trips. Its biggest asset however is its ability to detect incoming transport. It can attack ground units close to the shore, but can’t reach far inland

There is no cities in this game, well, there is but it has no effect on game play. There is no nuclear weapons (but the planes drop bombs in the same way as defcon planes drop nukes). There are no levels of defcon. fighting can be done straight away, but you start far away from your opponent.

I hope it is makable, if so please tell me what program and any help would be appreciated. Thank you ^^
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:06 am

Well this has nothing to do with defcon, but u could of posted this in the Lounge. But it sounds like it would be very fun, but seems like u would need a lot of people to help u make this, its possible to make this with lots of help

:)
-Vic
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:20 am

Apart from missing bits (real time/turn based? You call it RTS, but territories and territory based combat ranges are usually used in turn based games. hexfield? square fields? irregular map?) this looks like a moderately solid design. So two steps to success:
1. Learn to program.
2. Do it yourself.
It's the nature of spare time game development that if you want to see something done, you have to do it yourself. It's possible to recruit help, but that rarely works if you have no tangible skills at development yourself. And the skill most needed for the development lead is coding. Everything else can be of lower quality, people are perfectly happy to play with stick men and sounds you make by saying 'pew! pew! boom!' in a microphone, as long as the game design and coding are solid.

You may have luck modding other games. Like Battle for Wesnoth or FreeCiv. At least FreeCiv can be modded quite extensively. If you can't find a game to mod and need to start from scratch, try Microsoft's XNA framework or Python combined with PyGame.
Scimitar
level0

Postby Scimitar » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Given the nature of the game - some of those additions would be a bit cumbersome maybe,

I used to play Nato Comander on the atari - back in the day.

It had a similar idea with armored columns - infantry battalions etc... and a single nuke release option for which you needed Command Authorization.
You could also use chemical weapons - but a nuke first strike and chemical weapons incurred political points which brought your overall score down.
The chem weapons plus political points could be a nice game mod for defcon though...

And a set number of Armored Columns and Infantry Battalions - with a single airlift option in-game could be interesting.
You could deploy them in allies territory - along borders to capture key cities post ICBM exchange...

Some rules could be that you can't directly nuke an Armored Column or Infantry Battalion - though they could get it, if they were in proximity to a city.
You can target them with silo chemical or anti-armor/personell options though, and as a strategic penalty the reset time period as is currently with the silos in ICBM/STA modes.

The one cultural/strategic building idea sounds good - eg. the whitehouse - the Kremlin - Buck Palace etc..

Scimitar.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:25 pm

Just a word of advice: if you are going to reply to someone, you might look to see when they last posted. The original poster in this topic is likely long gone, and will probably never read your reply.

xander

Return to “Mod Projects”