Is there a way?

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

torq
level3
level3

Is there a way?

Postby torq » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:43 am

I've been thinking about mod where ICBM silos and AA sites are separate.
In order to do this I need somehow to make a user deploy empty silos (AA) and full silos (with ICBMs) separately.
I know that using dedcon I can forbid placement of any kind of units, but is there a way to place empty silo right at defcon 5?

The general idea is to have separate units for launching ICBMs and AA fire. If a ICBM silo launches all nukes it is either destroyed or removed from the map.

I doubt I can do this even with dedcon, but if there is a way I would be willing to listen to any suggestion.
NMO
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:24 pm

I am pretty sure that this cannot be done. Sorry.

xander
jamo
level2
level2

Postby jamo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:32 pm

You could combine the silo and sam into one building. download tactical strike, see what i mean.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:35 pm

Isnt that the default? And wasnt he asking to seperate them, which is the opposite of combining? :lol:

A cubersome way came to my mind, its not practical but maybe possible:
You can mod the territory files to allow placing ships on land, so unmovble subs would be your silos. And by adding the silo (the real ones) positions to the naval blacklist after they have been placed, you could disallow changing their mode. But i dont know if naval blacklist can be changed while the game is running or how to retrieve silo postions.
So its just a vage theoretical possibility, and most likely would requiere a code change to dedcon, and bert cant (shouldnt) be bothered for this.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:10 pm

Naval blacklists can be changed any time, but they only affect navy movement. They won't do anything against silo mode switches.

In theory, Dedcon could track silo placements and just prevent inappropriate mode switches, so single silos could be locked to either ICBM or AA mode. It's a big "In Theory", though. it would need to know much more about the gamestate than I care to implement for a feature I consider a bad idea gameplay wise.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:31 pm

Ah, ok, i thought of Naval Blacklist more like a general prohibition to send any commands regarding a specific postion.
Good to know it can be changed during game, cant think of a use for that now, but good to know.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:55 pm

trickser wrote:cant think of a use for that now, but good to know.

Maybe (and this is again just in theory) you can allow the movement onto land for battleships, then lock them at a certain defcon level from moving anymore.

It might be an extra "AA" for fighters and bombers.

Return to “Mod Projects”