explosion.bmp mod, my first strike!

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

stesan73
level0

explosion.bmp mod, my first strike!

Postby stesan73 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:05 pm

Hello, i'm a new forum member.
I am writing from italy, specifically from Rome, and this is my first mod.
I hope you like it. Greetings to all!!!
Please do not send nuke on my city!:lol:

Download: http://www.fileshack.us/get_file.php?id=414072&file=Pretty+Explosion.zip

preview: http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/6462/screenshotmf3.jpg

p.s.: Thanks for the help xander
I edited the post and I entered a preview, but I did before your edit! :oops:
Sorry for my poor English!
Last edited by stesan73 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:21 pm

While it is a pretty explosion sprite, it is not exactly a mod. In order for it to be a mod, it should be packaged up like a mod. In order to do that, do the following:
  1. Create a directory, and call is something simple that relates to the name of your mod (i.e. if you mod is called the "Super Duper Explosion of Doom Mod", call your directory "Super Explosion/" or something like that). In that directory, create another directory called "data/".
  2. In that directory, create several sub-directories. The exact sub-directories that you need will depend upon what you are trying to change in DEFCON. For instance, if you are adding a new explosion, you will need a sub-directory called "graphics/". The directory structure should be identical to that in main.dat. You can extract main.dat using something like WinRAR (main.dat is a RAR archive).
  3. Create your mod. The files should go in their appropriate places in the data/ directory. In your case, this is a very simple mod, so you can put your explosion .bmp in data/graphics/, and you are almost done.
  4. Polish the mod. A proper mod has a screenshot and a description. Both of these belong at the root level of your mod's directory structure (in the example above, in Super Explosion/). The description is called "mod.txt", which needs to be a plain text document, formatted as below. The screenshot needs to be named "screenshot.bmp", should be a Windows bitmap image, and should be 210x118 pixels (or thereabouts).

Once you have done all of the above, you have a complete and polished mod.

FORMAT FOR MOD.TXT:

Code: Select all

Name        *[complete mod mame]
Version     *[version number]
Author      [your name]
Website     [your website -- the place where you can download the mod]
Comment     [a description of the mod -- should probably be less than 100 words]

Those items marked with an asterisk are really important. They are used by DEFCON to determine if your mod is the same as others are using, which can be important if it is a "required mod" (i.e. a mod that changes the map or other aspects of the game that would make it incompatible with other mods).

xander

EDIT: Here you are. I have packaged it up for you as described above. The file that is linked is ready to be extracted, and moved to your DEFCON mods/ directory. Have a look at it, and it should help you make mods in the future. ;)

Return to “Mod Projects”