Modern Day Nuclear Scenario

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

ZEMUFFINMAN
level0

Modern Day Nuclear Scenario

Postby ZEMUFFINMAN » Wed May 27, 2015 1:19 am

So recently I was thinking abot how unrealistic DEFCON really is. A perfect example of this is the fact that the United States and Russia on have 100 warheads each. Now, I understand this if for balancing reasons but I've always wondered what a Nuclear War would look like if it were to happen in the next 10 minutes. This why I'm wondering if any one could make a mod using all the real world territories and numbers. I understand it wouldn't be a fun multiplayer mod but it would be very fun to watch NPC's duke it out. Unfortunately I'm new to the PC gaming master race and know nothing of moding or the sorts. I was thinking it could be all the real world Nato countries with there combined nukes against Russia and China with there combined nukes. If anyone is interested please get back to me.

Thanks,
ZEMUFFINMAN
TEXAS
level1
level1

Re: Modern Day Nuclear Scenario

Postby TEXAS » Thu May 28, 2015 1:32 am

This has been said countless times on this forum, DEFCON is not a nuclear war simulator. It is a strategy game. You use what the game has given you rather than trying to play a realistic nuclear war. People have made MIRV mods and mods that make the game more "realistic". If you look around on the forum I am sure you can find some.

Also on a side note, the CPU is a horrible DEFCON player and almost everything taught in the tutorial is wrong if you want to win against good players or almost any human player for that matter.

TEXAS
ZEMUFFINMAN
level0

Postby ZEMUFFINMAN » Thu May 28, 2015 1:48 am

When I mentioned the CPU I simply meant for a simulation. I know defcon is a strategy game but is there a way we could make a mod for a simulation.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Thu May 28, 2015 2:26 am

ZEMUFFINMAN wrote:So recently I was thinking abot how unrealistic DEFCON really is. A perfect example of this is the fact that the United States and Russia on have 100 warheads each.

Well, 232 nukes each.

ZEMUFFINMAN wrote:Now, I understand this if for balancing reasons but I've always wondered what a Nuclear War would look like if it were to happen in the next 10 minutes. This why I'm wondering if any one could make a mod using all the real world territories and numbers. I understand it wouldn't be a fun multiplayer mod but it would be very fun to watch NPC's duke it out. Unfortunately I'm new to the PC gaming master race and know nothing of moding or the sorts. I was thinking it could be all the real world Nato countries with there combined nukes against Russia and China with there combined nukes. If anyone is interested please get back to me.

Thanks,
ZEMUFFINMAN

Well the problems with making a simulation from the Defcon game engine are more than merely altering the territories and increasing the available nukes. We also have to correct the speed and range of the planes and ships. Ship and plane classes, sizes, and capabilities would need to be dramatically increased. We'd have to generate an oblate spheroid map instead of a cylinder. Missile trajectories would also need to change as a result. Splash damage would have to be revamped. Nuclear detonations would have to completely revamped. Realistic maps and locations of cities and continents would have to be integrated. Anti-air and anti-missile defense probabilities would have to be changed. And this is just what I know about the real world vs Defcon. It might be easier to to mod Kerbal Space Program's engine to accomplish what you're looking to do.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Thu May 28, 2015 3:16 am

There are many many ways to move the nuke count up or down.. lol
ZEMUFFINMAN
level0

Postby ZEMUFFINMAN » Thu May 28, 2015 5:21 am

What I'm saying is have an accurate nukes carrier aircraft count and have an accurate representation of population centers. and then maybe making the territories to accurately represent their real life counter parts
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Thu May 28, 2015 7:32 am

ZEMUFFINMAN wrote:What I'm saying is have an accurate nukes carrier aircraft count and have an accurate representation of population centers. and then maybe making the territories to accurately represent their real life counter parts

So not a simulation, just a few tweaks to throw off the game's balance
ZEMUFFINMAN
level0

Postby ZEMUFFINMAN » Thu May 28, 2015 9:15 am

Well kud after reading you're first post I figured that for a simulation you'd have to change so much you may as well make a new game but I would be content with just accurate numbers and territories.
cjx3
level0

Postby cjx3 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:32 pm

Well,I agree with tou.I wonder why all the countries have nuclear submarines.Actually there is no country
in the SouthAmerica have nuclear Submarines.In addition,few countries have the technology to make parted
missiles.I hope there will be a mod more realistic that we can choose more areas.Will there be Defcon2?
TEXAS
level1
level1

Postby TEXAS » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:40 pm

As I said before, this is a strategy game not a simulator. The reason for everyone having subs is for balancing. If the game was realistic NA and RU would have a huge advantage over the other territories. There are some unbalanced parts of the game, such as southern advantage, but it is certainly more fair then it would be if it was realistic.

TEXAS
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:37 am

cjx3 wrote:Will there be Defcon2?

Mikeldiablo
level2
level2

Postby Mikeldiablo » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:33 pm

TEXAS wrote:If the game was realistic NA and RU would have a huge advantage over the other territories. There are some unbalanced parts of the game, such as southern advantage, but it is certainly more fair then it would be if it was realistic.
TEXAS

That and there would only be a few countries with nukes. And the UK would only have nukes on submarines. Also, France would not be able to place nuclear silos.
Intnop
level0

Postby Intnop » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:06 am

TEXAS wrote:This has been said countless times on this forum, but DEFCON is not a nuclear war simulator. It is a strategy game.

So what? That's what mods are for, modifying the game to something it's not.

ZEMUFFINMAN wrote:I'm wondering if any one could make a mod using all the real world territories and numbers.

Making an immensely realistic mod for a game that's not meant to be is hard, but I can look into it.

Return to “Mod Projects”