Homegrown Dedicated Server: DedCon 1.6.0_svn1038

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:31 pm

Ed: that doesn't look like it could be a general solution (people will want different keys for different servers to run in parallel), so until others replicate your indefinite problem, forgive me if I don't adopt it :)

keger: cool.

Since there seem to be enough default servers for now, I switched my main one to ToallyRandom city distribution and more cities so you can (and have to) milk the territories for points over a longer period of time.
=dB=Ed
level1
level1

Postby =dB=Ed » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:48 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Ed: that doesn't look like it could be a general solution (people will want different keys for different servers to run in parallel), so until others replicate your indefinite problem, forgive me if I don't adopt it :)

keger: cool.

Since there seem to be enough default servers for now, I switched my main one to ToallyRandom city distribution and more cities so you can (and have to) milk the territories for points over a longer period of time.

Definitly, I do feel whatever the problem is in the configuration it is limited to just my server. I have the =dB= server set to game defaults pretty much with random territories and non demo because a demo player apparently messd up the very first attempt at a game on the server when I first got it up yesterday and I feel that it is a very fair price to pay for the game and we should do all that we can to encourage demo players to buy. Again thanks for everything!
Navigator
level2
level2

Postby Navigator » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:31 pm

I keep getting that error.

DedCon is installed in C:\Program Files\DedCon

The only two files I modified were authkey.txt and ConfigFile1.txt.

ConfigFile1.txt looks like this:

Code: Select all

Include authkey.txt
Include ConfigVersion-1.43-beta1.txt
# put your configuration below this line

ServerName <server name>

ServerPassword <password>

ScoreMode 1

RandomTerritories 1

My Defcon install version is 1.42, if that also matters.

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:03 am

If you're talking about the "illegal absolute path" arror, it's almost exactly what it says: absolute paths are illegal. It seems also that relative paths are illegal, and the only configuration files that can be loaded are ones in the same directory as the DedCon executable. Of course, I'm using the Linux version, but I see no reason for there to be much different behaviour. :)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:27 am

shinygerbil wrote:If you're talking about the "illegal absolute path" arror, it's almost exactly what it says: absolute paths are illegal. It seems also that relative paths are illegal, and the only configuration files that can be loaded are ones in the same directory as the DedCon executable. Of course, I'm using the Linux version, but I see no reason for there to be much different behaviour. :)

It's an issue Bert commented on a few pages ago. He implemented this as a security measure. Keep your config files for the server (including the authkey) in the same directory as the server executables That should do the trick.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:16 am

Whoops, fell into my own trap there :) To work around it, you need to edit the start menu entries. Click Start -> (All Programs if you're on XP) -> DedCon -> Right click on the server start menu entry, select properties. There, change "C:\Program Files\DedCon\ConfigFile1.txt" to just "ConfigFile1.txt". Or just start the server from a console window with this sequence:

c:\
cd "C:\Program Files\DedCon"
.\serverloop.bat ConfigFile1.txt
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:36 am

Is there a way to force the server to use a particular IP?

I have two IP's aliased to the same interface, but the second IP should really only be used for my SMTP server (echelon.gov-fbi.net , heh :P ).
Naturally the server started on the wrong IP.

And after I tried using ServerLanIP I'm getting:

Metaserver IP: 80.175.29.66
Server key authentication failed.

I had my server running fine (AND authenticated) seconds ago!! :shock: I know, since I was able to connect to it. Not sure of why it says this all of a sudden :?
(obviously I have ServerKey <key> set. The only changes I made after my server proved to be running fine was add an WaitGameStart & Say Good luck!!! to my general Say section, and try to use the ServerLanIP <correctIP> parameters. I don't think those can interfere with my key. I've tested with my own copy of defcon and it's not like my key got revoked milliseconds after launching the server either :lol: Oh yeah and there is no trailing whitespace either.)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:08 pm

torig wrote:Is there a way to force the server to use a particular IP?
Not yet, I added it to the todo list. The server should actually listen to all interfaces right now, already, but only one IP is reported to the metaserver, and which one depends on the route the packets take from the server to the metaserver. If you can influence the route (UDP packets from local port 5010 to remote port 5008), you can influence the IP your server will be known by.

torig wrote:And after I tried using ServerLanIP I'm getting:

Metaserver IP: 80.175.29.66
Server key authentication failed.
Odd, ServerLANIP should have no effect on the server operation whatsoever. It's just there because that is the IP a client will connect to if the metaserver determines client and server are on the same LAN, which will never happen in your scenario anyway. Does it work again when you remove ServerLANIP? (also note that settings are case sensitive). 0.6 will have better authentication failure diagnostic messages, the message in 0.5 can mean just about anything.
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:28 pm

Well, I commented ServerLanIP back out immediately after, but still no dice.

Thanks for the routing suggestion. It's not a big deal really, but sometimes I pull certain statistics based on IP addresses, so it's purely for administrative purposes I want it to run on another IP ;)

edit: Fixed!
<
I removed "WaitStart" and "Say Good Luck!!" (which I don't think will have an influence) BUT also commented TotalBandwith <value> back. Then it worked.
Just tested again and TotalBandwith wasn't it. It actually was due to WaitStart. I had placed it in the Say section of ConfigFile.sample and if I do that again, the auth fails for some reason.
Perhaps this info is usefull to you Bert ;)
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:39 pm

I presume that every command after the WaitStart is not executed until the game actually starts. If so, then that's your problem! ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:41 pm

Ah, heh, yes it is. I'll move the Say section further down and add a big, fat warning :) The WaitStart stalls ALL commands that come after it. If you want to have things executed in parallel, use Fork.
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:17 pm

Well, I was setting it up quickly, just going through the big ConfigFile.sample and activiting and tweaking as I saw fit.
It made sense in my mind to group all Say commands, and have on after a WaitStart.

I'll make a cleaner version of my file later today ; for now I want to see if the server is running fine ;)

What? Fork? Fork you right back :roll: :twisted: (I know it's lame; but I just couldn't resist :oops: )

edit: Bert, can we possibly see your todo list somewhere?
It would be nice if you could implement a /help which would at least print out the names of variables that can be passed to set ;)
(not that I want to dictate your agenda!!)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:57 pm

torig wrote:edit: Bert, can we possibly see your todo list somewhere?
Sure, it's in the NEWS file at the bottom. A reasonably current version (from the last release) can be found here: http://moosnet.homelinux.net/~manuel/de ... n/NEWS.txt

torig wrote:It would be nice if you could implement a /help which would at least print out the names of variables that can be passed to set ;)
That could become a long list, how about splitting it into sections like in the sample config?
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:54 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:
torig wrote:edit: Bert, can we possibly see your todo list somewhere?
Sure, it's in the NEWS file at the bottom. A reasonably current version (from the last release) can be found here: http://moosnet.homelinux.net/~manuel/de ... n/NEWS.txt

torig wrote:It would be nice if you could implement a /help which would at least print out the names of variables that can be passed to set ;)
That could become a long list, how about splitting it into sections like in the sample config?

Thanks for the link. I'll go through it in a few moments ;)
Well, I thought of that. Perhaps only a minimal amount of variables should be reported, like for instance MinTeams, PopulationPerTerritory.
Some of those are obvious just from playing (such as PermitDefection and PopulationPerTerritory, those I didn't even need to look up). But MinTeams is something I wasn't sure of off the bat ;)
Navigator
level2
level2

Postby Navigator » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:29 pm

torig wrote:
shinygerbil wrote:If you're talking about the "illegal absolute path" arror, it's almost exactly what it says: absolute paths are illegal. It seems also that relative paths are illegal, and the only configuration files that can be loaded are ones in the same directory as the DedCon executable. Of course, I'm using the Linux version, but I see no reason for there to be much different behaviour. :)

It's an issue Bert commented on a few pages ago. He implemented this as a security measure. Keep your config files for the server (including the authkey) in the same directory as the server executables That should do the trick.

Actually, I did have the config files in the same directory. It was my fault for not stating that in my post.

bert_the_turtle wrote:Whoops, fell into my own trap there :) To work around it, you need to edit the start menu entries. Click Start -> (All Programs if you're on XP) -> DedCon -> Right click on the server start menu entry, select properties. There, change "C:\Program Files\DedCon\ConfigFile1.txt" to just "ConfigFile1.txt". Or just start the server from a console window with this sequence:

c:\
cd "C:\Program Files\DedCon"
.\serverloop.bat ConfigFile1.txt

Thanks! That fixed the problem.

Return to “Mod Projects”