The Mars Mod

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

calculon000
level1
level1
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol system, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way, This Universe

The Mars Mod

Postby calculon000 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:48 pm

What if Mars had water? What if it had human civilization on it? What if that human civilization did what human civilization does best and rigged the planet to explode?

This:

What I made up:
  • The sea level.
  • The countries.

What is real:
  • The location and name of every city is shared by a real geological feature actually on Mars. The exception being that some cities on the coasts are not in the same location as their respective geological features as those features are underwater.
  • The topography of Mars is the real deal. If Mars had the sea level I gave it, this is what the continents would actually look like.

It took me several hours to find locations off of Google Mars for all 285 geological features which I used. I put a dot and a name using Photoshop for each one onto the map of Mars which I had, then I used DEFCON ModSuite to place each city, and then I painstakingly traced each pixel of the maps water to make the coasts. Then I used notepad to adjust the populations of the cities.

There are six countries, each have 50 cities with the exception of Xanthe due to it's relatively small territory, which has 35.

There are a total of 285 cities:
The name of each city can be found here:
http://calculon000.no-ip.info/notwebsite/files/Mods/Defcon/Mars/citynamemap.png

A couple of bugs that I can't really help:
  • If a nuke is flying across the edge of the map where it wraps around at the latitude of -180 and 180, it may "bounce" and act real wonky.
  • In the territory view, the name of the player who is playing on the Noachis territory is in the wrong location. I suspect that this is because the territory wraps around the edge of the map.
  • I had to put a small strip of sailable across the Eunostos peninsula because it kept giving me a stupid node size error otherwise for no good reason. Because of this, ship could possibly sail across the land there, but only rarely. (fixed)

Each country is named after it's capital, which is it's largest city. I figure that if six colonies were founded on Mars the first cities founded would be the base of operations for every settlement that followed, which would keep the populations of the capitals disproportionately high.

I would like to extend special thanks to zanzer7 for his DEFCON ModSuite tool which made placing the cities, coasts, and borders about 8.3 billion times easier. I recommend playing the mod on a world scale of less than 100 due to the large land area of each country and the fact that Mars has about one quarter of the surface area of Earth. I'll check back here occasionally to see if there's any bugs that I can fix.

The mod can be found here:
Version 1.3 (zanzer7's server)
Or if that location got nuked, you can get it here:
Version 1.3 (Be gentle my server sucks.)

The current version is 1.3.

Update 1.1:
-Fixed the AI navigation nodes and there is no longer a strip of sailable across the Eunostos peninsula.

Update 1.2:
-Forgot to delete strip of sailable across the Eunostos peninsula.

Update 1.3:
-Forgot to draw the coastlines for a few islands in the smaller large sea.
Last edited by calculon000 on Mon May 10, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Re: The Mars Mod

Postby Montyphy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:04 pm

Nice work. :)

calculon000 wrote:[*]I had to put a small strip of sailable across the Eunostos peninsula because it kept giving me a stupid node size error otherwise for no good reason. Because of this, ship could possibly sail across the land there, but only rarely.

Did you try setting RenderNodes = 1 in your preferences.txt? Doing this should show you where the nodes are without crashing the game.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
calculon000
level1
level1
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol system, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way, This Universe

Postby calculon000 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:26 pm

Ok, this is weird.

This is my travel_nodes.bmp file, yet this is the result?

Is the fact that I'm using 1024*512 screwing with the game somehow?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:53 pm

calculon000 wrote:Ok, this is weird.

This is my travel_nodes.bmp file, yet this is the result?

Is the fact that I'm using 1024*512 screwing with the game somehow?

That could be entirely possible depending on how Defcon handles the image. If it decides to scale the image back down to 800x400 its possible that it loses a pixel/node or two in doing so. Try an 800x400 and see what happens.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Joshonovich
level1
level1

Postby Joshonovich » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:26 pm

Calculon start posting on nma again, we miss the gif master!
KungFuAlex
level2
level2

Postby KungFuAlex » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:58 pm

Nice! I liked the name Cimmeria ;) "The land of barbarians" :P
calculon000
level1
level1

Postby calculon000 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:22 pm

Ok, I remade the travel_nodes.bmp file using 800x400 and the ai_markers.bmp using 512x285. Everything looks good and I updated the zip file to version 1.1. Thanks Montyphy. :D

Joshonovich wrote:Calculon start posting on nma again, we miss the gif master!

Oh hey, maybe I will.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:50 pm

Hello there!
Awesome mod, I can't believe you did all this. Very real, too! Great, great job.

I've added this to the modlist, and uploaded it to the server (to take load off of yours):
mars.zip ~825 KB
calculon000
level1
level1

Postby calculon000 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:37 am

Thanks for the hosting. :)

I tried to really go for quality with this mod.

EDIT:
The picture links in the mod list for the Mars mod are 404's.

I've noticed that I forgot to delete the strip of sailable across the Eunostos peninsula. Could you update the file on your server to the 1.2 version?

I made some screenshots for the Modlist.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:42 am

Sorry about the four-oh-fours. Should be fixed now, I've just used those 4 images instead, thanks :)
calculon000
level1
level1

Postby calculon000 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:13 pm

I updated the mod to version 1.3. I forgot to draw the borders for a few islands that are in the sea that is surrounded by Sirenum and Noachis.
croujdane
level0

Postby croujdane » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:01 am

I was thinking about doing a Mars mod myself, but with mars as it is now and the possible future war.

The factions would probably be NASA, ESA, Japan/China, Russia.

I was thinking of having nuke armed large rovers (based on opertunity type rover) to replace bombers and
small rovers based on sojourn to replace fighters.

Carriers / Subs posed a problem as I was not intending to have water. I was thinking of turning the subs into an orbiting nuke platform. Carriers would probably be a manned buggy capable of deploying rovers.

Never got beyond the idea stage..
thindigital
level1
level1

Postby thindigital » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:46 pm

bump for a great mod - does anyone want to play Mars online ???
Mariano
level0

Postby Mariano » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:37 am

Great mod, great job

Return to “Mod Projects”