[MOD] DEFCON: The WarGames mod

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Tue May 01, 2007 4:08 pm

Those icons are awesome, RnSK!

We need to get the font perfected though. Probably with scanlines too, so it fits the rest? :)

I think we should just compile this stuff as "The WarGames Mod" and have it as such at the modlist (instead of the stuffs I mingled with by myself), neh?

Oh, and I'm glad you like my style! :D
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Wed May 02, 2007 12:19 am

Nice mod, but what's this about alternate/extra sound? Has this been implemented into the mod yet? I havn't noticed any. Also, I think the city text should be brightened some. It's hard to read unless you zoom in. I also find that allies on the blue team are really dark and hard to see.
RnSK
level1
level1

Latest version is now available...

Postby RnSK » Wed May 02, 2007 2:22 am

zanzer7 wrote:Those icons are awesome, RnSK!

We need to get the font perfected though. Probably with scanlines too, so it fits the rest? :)

I think we should just compile this stuff as "The WarGames Mod" and have it as such at the modlist (instead of the stuffs I mingled with by myself), neh?

Oh, and I'm glad you like my style! :D

I keep going back and forth on the scanlines; I have a High Def display so I can see it fine, but wasn't sure how this would be for other people (too dim maybe...but "better") so i took them out. I've put them back in.

The latest version is here: http://kaisakura.org/cheyenne/woprv6.zip.

I don't mind compiling/making a "definitive" version at all. I know the guys @ Ambrosia mentioned maybe "featuring" it when it was done.

heheh...I just caught the "neh?" lol...Until I read it out loud (in hepburn romaji its just ne) but yes, I agree ;)
Last edited by RnSK on Wed May 02, 2007 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
RnSK
level1
level1

Postby RnSK » Wed May 02, 2007 2:48 am

PsychicKid wrote:Nice mod, but what's this about alternate/extra sound? Has this been implemented into the mod yet? I havn't noticed any. Also, I think the city text should be brightened some. It's hard to read unless you zoom in. I also find that allies on the blue team are really dark and hard to see.

In the one I've done, WOPR there are *definitely* new sounds and chatter in there; zanzer7's doesn't seem to have them.

I want to mess with it a weeee bit more; the way audio works is a bit...weird to everyone but the lads @ introversion and ambrosia...so its a bit hit or miss :)

We'll figure out how to get them all in there nicely tho.

The latest version is online now.
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Wed May 02, 2007 3:53 am

Ahh yes, I love the sounds. The chatter seems a bit out of place, with "Confidence is high" being repeated a lot before nukes are fired, but beggars can't be choosers. Also, the missle impact noise seems to make this... staticy, computery, clicking sorta sound. It dulls out the *THUMP* that the missles would normally make in the movies. The DEFCON alarm also sounds very deep. Strangely enough, this one is much darker and harder to read than the other one! It's nice though, hopefully you can brighten it up a tad. :)

[Edit] I know what that strange noise is when a nuke impacts. It's the background music from the movie! Guess it's too hard to edit that out, but I can see why. Also, I listened to the guy saying "Confidence is high", and his other speech is muffled by the background music. Maybe making it a bit louder?

Hope I'm not being too critical, this is a great mod!
RnSK
level1
level1

Postby RnSK » Wed May 02, 2007 4:24 am

The nuke hit is a "compromise";

In the movie what happens is this:

nuke comes in ("wooosh") and hits (lfo "brrrmmm..brmmmm") noise.

now, I guesss to "raise tension, in the soundtrack, there is a sort of "whine" going on the whole time as well...its not music per se.

"To me" all of hat happening in tandem is what makes it so creepy, memorable and unique. I can do it over with just the wooosh-lfo rumble...but it would seem kind of "meh" :)

I have fixed it a bit so tht its not overdriven and clipping and made it one pulse long :)

If you re-download the mod, that sound will be better now. its here: http://kaisakura.org/cheyenne/woprv6.zip

Also, the way the sounds work is a bit of a mystery to me...i'm learning more as I go along, Since we re-recorded quite a lote of it we could cut it up, bounce chatter into the music samples, etc.

As for the klaxon...its irritating; the game seems to progressively slow that sound :/
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Wed May 02, 2007 9:18 am

Great work good sound.
zach
level5
level5

Re: Latest version is now available...

Postby zach » Wed May 02, 2007 9:48 am

RnSK wrote:heheh...I just caught the "neh?" lol...Until I read it out loud (in hepburn romaji its just ne) but yes, I agree ;)

Still pronounced 'neh?' though ;)

I'll have it up sometime later today
RnSK
level1
level1

Re: Latest version is now available...

Postby RnSK » Wed May 02, 2007 5:30 pm

zanzer7 wrote:
RnSK wrote:heheh...I just caught the "neh?" lol...Until I read it out loud (in hepburn romaji its just ne) but yes, I agree ;)

Still pronounced 'neh?' though ;)

I'll have it up sometime later today

"Hai" :)
RnSK
level1
level1

The MODLIST Site...

Postby RnSK » Wed May 02, 2007 5:32 pm

BTW, doesn't work very well with safari...

FYI...

:)
RnSK
level1
level1

Latest version, v7

Postby RnSK » Wed May 02, 2007 10:46 pm

PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Wed May 02, 2007 10:56 pm

Is there anyway to brighten the fonts and the city icons? They're incredibly hard to see against the black background unless I zoom in. I don't even have to be zoomed out at maximum for the city icons to disappear from sight. Anyway to fix this?
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Wed May 02, 2007 10:59 pm

RnSK wrote:As for the klaxon...its irritating; the game seems to progressively slow that sound :/

Look back in this thread for the changes in the sounds.txt i used to get it right. :-)
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Wed May 02, 2007 11:12 pm

Weps wrote:
RnSK wrote:As for the klaxon...its irritating; the game seems to progressively slow that sound :/

Look back in this thread for the changes in the sounds.txt i used to get it right. :-)

I tried that but it still doesn't work. *stabs DEFCON* Work darn you!
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Thu May 03, 2007 12:36 am

Now I got time:

Code: Select all

EVENT FirstLaunch         
      SOUNDNAME          enemylaunch2
      SOURCETYPE         0
      POSITIONTYPE       0
      INSTANCETYPE       0
      LOOPTYPE           0
      MINDISTANCE        100.00
      VOLUME             PARAMETER TypeFixedValue        8.97  UpdateConstantly
      FREQUENCY          PARAMETER TypeFixedValue        1.00  UpdateConstantly
   END

It's 1.00 you need in the last line. (I think. It solved it for me)

Return to “Mod Projects”