PSG Defcon Icons

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

domox
level0

Postby domox » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:52 am

You will be needing 7-zip (can be found at 7-zip.org) to extract the files, it is a free fast no bs archive handler, does zip, rar, and a zillion others.... and its free and open source... sorry for any confusion. =} Thanks for the reviews, I may be doing a revision soon, keeping in mind your concerns. About the size, I may change fighter size, but I kept things minimal so the map looks less like a jigsaw puzzle with huge blocks moving around on high unit count maps... Again, Thanks for the interest!
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:56 am

love the fleets.
glcanon
level1
level1

Postby glcanon » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:05 am

Navigator,

Love what you're trying to do here... nice look. I've been playing with it a little, hope you don't mind. You'll see a few little icons I've added to your screenshot.

Someone said your fleet icons were too small. They seem about right to me. If anything, I'd prefer your battleship icon be a bit smaller, about the size of the purple one I've drawn. But I really like your Aegis-class cruiser icon. EXCELLENT!

I thought your fighters were a bit small. But I see what you're going for. In truth, you wouldn't send out a single figher, more like a flight of several. So I drew a couple small planes in formation, small, to represent what you were going for. I like the B-2 stealth bomber as well.

Can't say I really like the silo, radar, or SAM icons though. The airport icon is much along the lines as I was thinking myself, ie, to try to make it look like the airbase icons in the movie WarGames.

I'd like to make my silo a little more stylized, a little oval in the terra firma with an MX missile rising out of it (this oval leaves something to be desired though).

I added stylized fleet icons below yours, borrowing from Mil Std icons, but creating my own stylized sub icon.

Lastly, I've been looking for different fonts as well, and included a coulpe different ones in your screen.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by glcanon on Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glcanon
level1
level1

Some ideas for Fonts

Postby glcanon » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:07 am

Anyone like any of these fonts? Just a few ideas... I was trying to find a font which matched that used in the movie WarGames, ie, "ALASKAN AIR DEFENSE ZONE" but I haven't been able to find a close match yet. Like any of these?

Navigator
level2
level2

Postby Navigator » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:20 pm

glcanon wrote:Navigator,

Love what you're trying to do here...

Actually it's domox's mod. All I did was try it out and post a screen when someone asked for one.
USE YOUR MACHINE GUN ARM
domox
level0

Postby domox » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:35 am

Thanks for the suggestions, as far as the battleships go I was thinking about putting another frigate type up instead of a battle ship, and the AA launchers, well, I used PAC3 launchers because in the game they spend more time shooting down missiles, which is what PAC3s do. =) Good idea on the fighter groups though! Feel free to post on psyphon's site any thoughts and ideas and keep an eye on the thread, if there is an update that is where I will post it. Thanks guys!
Kuth
level4
level4

Re: Some ideas for Fonts

Postby Kuth » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:22 am

glcanon wrote:Anyone like any of these fonts? Just a few ideas... I was trying to find a font which matched that used in the movie WarGames, ie, "ALASKAN AIR DEFENSE ZONE" but I haven't been able to find a close match yet. Like any of these?

Where did you get these fonts?
glcanon
level1
level1

Fonts

Postby glcanon » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:02 pm

I don't really recall where I got all my fonts. I've been collecting fonts on the internet since about 1999 or 2000. Each time I think I'm going to have to pay for one, someone on the net directs me to a website that is offering it for free. I'll bet I have close to 8,000 fonts. Unfortunately, Windows doesn't like it if you have too many fonts. So I keep them distributed on three different computers. When I'm looking for a font, I will often have to get onto each comuter and run down the list. Guess I need to invest in some kind of font manager software as that really is a chore. Appreciate any suggests about managing fonts.

I've started a new post [MOD] WarGames Mod under the mod section. I will post any ideas, updates, lessons learned there, etc..

CHEERS!
xander
level5
level5

Re: Fonts

Postby xander » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:48 pm

glcanon wrote:I don't really recall where I got all my fonts. I've been collecting fonts on the internet since about 1999 or 2000. Each time I think I'm going to have to pay for one, someone on the net directs me to a website that is offering it for free. I'll bet I have close to 8,000 fonts. Unfortunately, Windows doesn't like it if you have too many fonts. So I keep them distributed on three different computers. When I'm looking for a font, I will often have to get onto each comuter and run down the list. Guess I need to invest in some kind of font manager software as that really is a chore. Appreciate any suggests about managing fonts.

I've started a new post [MOD] WarGames Mod under the mod section. I will post any ideas, updates, lessons learned there, etc..

CHEERS!

Um... get a Mac? :P

/me ducks the hail of bricks being lobbed his way.

Seriously, Macs do a pretty damn good job of keeping track of fonts since OS X. You can categorize them as you wish, and have one font appear in multiple font libraries. I don't have nearly as many fonts running around as you -- I am somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000, but I have found Apple's Font Book.app to be a rather useful program. :)

xander

Return to “Mod Projects”