How much can we actually mod?

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Defunker
level0

How much can we actually mod?

Postby Defunker » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:22 pm

I'm finding myself lost. How much do we actually have the ability to mod?

So far all I've seen are new maps, new graphics for the same units, and a few interface changes here and there. Is that all we're allowed to do? Myself, I'd like to do a total conversion mod; I want to make something so different that it'll be close to being it's own game. Of course that will require a boatload of learning on my part, I already know this, I'm willing to put forth the effort.

So my question is - Is there a way to add completely new units to the game? Can we go and overhaul and replace the basic game mechanics? Can I hack out all those DEFCON countdown timers and replace them with my own inventions? Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:32 pm

Unfortunately, none of that is possible as of yet. New maps and gfx etc. are all we can muster. But in time you can hope there will be easier and more powerful modding abilities.
Defunker
level0

Postby Defunker » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:39 pm

Defunker then progresses to turn an odd shade of green. He begins to break everything surrounding him.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:50 am

Is there a way to add completely new units to the game?

Um...get in line. You're not the first one to ask this (and I doubt the last one, either).

However... nobody has done a complete graphical change (That I know of) that's within our power- that is to say, new unit icons, new maps, new UI icons, and New Sounds.

Someday I hope to accomplish this (or bring my STC mod up to this level)- but I would need to find a free and accessable sound bank to pull files from.
samdude9
level1
level1

Postby samdude9 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:59 am

I think the main problem is that all this stuff is in the main .exe sadly :(:(:(:(:(:(:( :x

Return to “Mod Projects”