Node rote size mismatch!

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Node rote size mismatch!

Postby Spacemonkey » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:54 pm

This guy is just out to get me, no matter what I do I keep getting this error.

I think we need to compile a list, of everything the node map needs and what it doesn't need.

22 nodes, is that the limit? I know it can work with less, can it work with more?

800x400 or 512x285, why is it bigger? and of a different ratio, does changing the size help?

How close can the nodes be to the coast?

Do the nodes need to be in the territories?

Theses are the questions that need answering.
Last edited by Spacemonkey on Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:59 pm

1) less than or equal to 22 nodes being used.
2) placed somewhere that is sailable i.e in the white area of sailable.bmp.

The problem lies within the different aspect ratio of sailable.bmp and travel_nodes.bmp
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:04 pm

• No isolated nodes (or isolated groups of nodes) ~ ie. you must be able to travel from any node to any other node through nodes.
  • Nodes can't be on land, or too close to land. "Land" is specified as the black areas of 'sailable.bmp'
  • Any node must have a direct path (not crossing or nearly crossing "land") to at least one other node
  • No more than 22 nodes in total
  • A node is a single pixel with the colour value 255,255,255 (decimals) or #ffffff (hexadecimals) or 1,1,1 (floating point number colour intensity)

I think that's about all there is to it ... ne? :roll:

EDIT: Montyphy, if I recall correctly, the difference in aspect ratio is 512x284 vs 512x285, is this correct? I believe you're thinking of ai_markers.bmp, which according to my memory is 800x400 ... Correct me if I'm wrong, please. ~ I stand corrected.
Last edited by zach on Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:12 pm

ai_markers is 512x285

travel_nodes is 800x400
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:29 pm

I figured out the problem, this is the map i'm working on at the moment, I had nodes on both the east and the west, however the east and west nodes were separated by the land in the middle of the map (Mexico, central America etc), I assumed the nodes would 'wrap' around at the edges of the map, thus ensuring all the node would be connected.

However, it doesn't work this way, the nodes can't wrap around, I had to make a gap in the land so that two nodes could 'see' each other, and now the map runs fine, although now ships can pass over a small part of the land.

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:39 pm

Are you sure it has nothing to do with the several nodes that are in the black bands on either side of the map?

xander
denzil
level2
level2

Postby denzil » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:56 pm

If you still get problems then I will take a real close look, am quite seasoned in these annoying node and marker graphics now lol
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:05 pm

na, it runs okay now, just have have a gap between SA and Central America
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:06 pm

PANAMA CANAL!
hellcatv
level2
level2

Postby hellcatv » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:43 pm

I must have read through this forum a dozen times---I can't figure out what's wrong with my 22 node map...I've traced every node to every other node with the line tool and all seem to stay far away from land...
could *someone* with modding experience look at this polar mod I made? people have been requesting it for ages and I'm mostly doing this as a public service ;-)

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/users ... /polar.zip

I have a feeling that my node map and ai_marker map match properly--but to be honest I could have done something dumb
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
denzil
level2
level2

Postby denzil » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:33 pm

I haven't had a chance to look at the files, but make sure you have the pixels the right size, they are the correct colours, you are using an Indexed colour depth image, the image is the correct size, you have the land in the correct place (and scaled up accordingly), an entire fleet can fit through the land gaps (also needs to be scaled up to check that they fit, brush size 18 or something in photoshop)
antidotos
level1
level1

Postby antidotos » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:57 am

Hi all.
I need some advice....
I m finishing a mod which needs tinkering with sailable.bmp and travel nodes.
I have edited the travl_nodes with exactly the same number of points (not tinkering with the palette or the mode, I had horrible catastrophes previously....)but when I save the file (using GIMP) it weighs less than 40 ko while the original is 150 ko ! Any opinion ?
How do you prepare your travel nodes bmp ? Is the size mandatory (using 800*444 would suit scaled sailable.... but it seems it failed so I reverted to 800*400)?
When I use my own sailable bmp with the basic travel_nodes the game interface launches but after asking for a new game I get a (normal) size node error.
When I use both my own sailable and travel-nodes the game does not launch at all and I get a C++ error : reading bitmap (bitmap.cpp line 238 or so....).
I do not know if this is due to a mismatch between sailable and travel-nodes or a corrupt travel-nodes.
I m rather disappointed because the rest of the mod runs well (with the fleets going on some land unfortunately and some land being unconstructable due to this sobering travel node issue).
I do not know if ai-markers need editing also.
I think I need to understand the scaling logic of the travel nodes (compared to what....?).
Any information highly welcome.
Thanks.
Antidotos.
Remember the Mahabarhata.
hellcatv
level2
level2

Postby hellcatv » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:01 pm

Here's how I did travel nodes

a) find a section of clear sea (hopefully fairly obvious)
b) open up the default travel_nodes.bmp
c) add 22 nodes all in the clear sea
d) turn on RenderNodes = 1 (read the 1.2 beta TWO post)
e) run it...make sure the nodes appear
f) start placing more nodes one by one, making sure they appear in game upon each run...I did this by using the rolling demo to start games QUICKLY so that I could test them individually
it may help to have a very dim copy of the stretched map put into the 800x400 image while you are editing them.... remember to use sailable... it *seemed* to crop off the top of the nodes... like 22 pixels on either side of the map-- maybe it's so fleets of six can make it to edge nodes? but I could be mistaken

as you slowly add nodes you should be able to expand your travel network untilit covers the map
Vega Strike Lead Developer

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
antidotos
level1
level1

Postby antidotos » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:28 pm

thanks Hellcatv for the info,
the new RenderNodes did the trick (and I also noticed that Gimp had changed my bit depth....).
Begins to look nice now.
Thanks again and hurrah for the 1.2 !
Antidotos.

Remember the Mahabarhata.

Return to “Mod Projects”