The global view

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

furtim
level2
level2

Postby furtim » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:43 pm

DrFreedom wrote:you seem to be of the mindset that 'defcon' IS a world that is without poles.

I certainly don't see any bloody poles when I play Defcon! So I think that's the proper mindset, yeah?

You seem to be of the mindset that the world of Defcon is the world that we live in. That's kinda weird, mate. You might want to have that checked.
Leonaken
level3
level3

Postby Leonaken » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:22 pm

Spinny-globe DEFCON? I'd hit it. I'm a dollar menu guy.
s1w
level0

Postby s1w » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:33 am

Enough bullshit about sphere world? ..... defcon rocks without 3D globe and straight trajectories. We all fell in love in this game becouse its unique climate. I believe that if Introversion Software will someday make a sequel, then - to happiness of all defcon funs - it will be fully 3D Nuke Globe Doom RTS Simulator for 64 players a game, where one match will last over 4 hours.
djdemo
level1
level1

Postby djdemo » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:08 am

GeneticFreak wrote:there were already round sphere games about wars and they honestly suck cause it gets overcomplicated / confusing/ dizzying
Examples: Superpower 2, M.A.D.

X-Com didn't suck... and that a spinny world.

AGAIN, if people want a spinning globe then let them, if you want to play DEFCON as it is out of the box - why the hell are on the modding forum?

And why are there so many self-styled 'MOD-POLICE'??? (not to be confused with the real UK MOD Police)

Just seems really stuck-up and spoilt to jump into threads and tell people their ideas suck...

Personally, I think either changing to a polar projection, or having a globe would appeal to those who have studied stratgic warfare, or were employed on such things in the cold war, or who simply want to move the game closer to a simulation with a simple mod.

Even in Wargames - a flat projection, the missiles go over the pole in inverted U-shape arcs...
hellcatv
level2
level2

Postby hellcatv » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:58 pm

I agree djdemo---we just need someone to step up and figure out how to use the mod tools to make the polar projection
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
s1w
level0

Postby s1w » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:06 pm

There is no possibility to make sphere by mod! you would have to get the source code and be a real programmist. Mod creators are just script-kiddies (no-offence). I really propose to wait on a sequel, cuz modifying the source code so much would make all different game while there is even more followers of the flat world than followers of radical changes. Whats more, Defcon symbol would lose its meaning.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:58 pm

djdemo wrote:
GeneticFreak wrote:there were already round sphere games about wars and they honestly suck cause it gets overcomplicated / confusing/ dizzying
Examples: Superpower 2, M.A.D.

X-Com didn't suck... and that a spinny world.

AGAIN, if people want a spinning globe then let them, if you want to play DEFCON as it is out of the box - why the hell are on the modding forum?

And why are there so many self-styled 'MOD-POLICE'??? (not to be confused with the real UK MOD Police)

Just seems really stuck-up and spoilt to jump into threads and tell people their ideas suck...

Personally, I think either changing to a polar projection, or having a globe would appeal to those who have studied stratgic warfare, or were employed on such things in the cold war, or who simply want to move the game closer to a simulation with a simple mod.

Even in Wargames - a flat projection, the missiles go over the pole in inverted U-shape arcs...

Rather than telling everyone to give everyone everything they want, why don't you try creating a globe for Defcon? Go for it. See if you can do it. Because I have actually pulled apart the files and looked at them, and have been playing with them for months now, I can tell you with some degree of certainty that a globe is simply not possible for a modder to create. You would need access to the source code.

As for a polar projection, that would be quite easy. Why don't you download zanzer7's modding suite, and give it a go?

xander
furtim
level2
level2

Postby furtim » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:26 pm

Because that would take work!@!@

Or maybe it's like the Discovery Institute. Sphere modders/intelligent design researchers could be doing great work if not for all the haters! You get them down and then they're all depressed and can't do anything. Damn you, xander! Why do you hate freedom so much?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:29 pm

furtim wrote:Why do you hate freedom so much?

Q: How many Bush Administration officials does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; it's conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effect. Why do you hate freedom?

xander
furtim
level2
level2

Postby furtim » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:31 pm

Or, for my personal favourite non sequitur argument: If you doubt the global view is possible, then how is it there are PYGMIES + DWARFS???
Chrono_Tata
level1
level1

Postby Chrono_Tata » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:25 pm

furtim wrote:Or, for my personal favourite non sequitur argument: If you doubt the global view is possible, then how is it there are PYGMIES + DWARFS???

Pinkoski reference = win
Star*Dagger
level2
level2

Postby Star*Dagger » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:33 pm

I dont care if it was titled "GOP MILF Orgies flavored 3d global DEfcon"

If its got 3d globe, im there.

Yours in G.W.Bush's hot daughter's Plasma,
Star*Dagger

edit: IV screwed the pooch not making this on a 3d globe, would have REALLY made a splash in the Computer Gaming mags.
"The Way of the Warrior is resolute acceptence of death" Musashi
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:12 pm

Star*Dagger wrote:IV screwed the pooch not making this on a 3d globe, would have REALLY made a splash in the Computer Gaming mags.
Yes, alongside Call of Duty 28 and Battlefield 40,000.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
stas
level1
level1

DrFreedom speaks the truth

Postby stas » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:57 am

Xander, you can't honestly tell me that if tactical units moved faster near the
poles, then the gameplay would be affected so significantly to turn it into a
whole new game. You probably wouldn't even notice right away!

DrFreedom is absolutely right, from a gameplay/strategy perspective, it
shouldn't matter what projection you're using to look at the game -- a flat
Mercator projection, or a dynamic 3D projection (which is obviously a lot
cooler, but, granted, more difficult to implement).

I could certainly see the availability of both a 3D view and a flat projection
view useful for planning tactics, allowing both a flat birds-eye overview of
everything and a proportionally accurate spherical map. I am still not
rationally convinced by any of your arguments by which you assert that such
innovation would destroy the essence of the game, rather than enhance it.

P.S. I believe the request for nukes to curve the other way when south of the
equator, is a common piece of feedback among Defcon players. In part, I'm
certain, this is because the game would appear more natural (in aesthetic
terms, I would call it balanced) that way. And, of course, a nice side effect
is that this behavior corresponds to the geometry of the real world.
xander
level5
level5

Re: DrFreedom speaks the truth

Postby xander » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:38 pm

stas wrote:Xander, you can't honestly tell me that if tactical units moved faster near the
poles, then the gameplay would be affected so significantly to turn it into a
whole new game. You probably wouldn't even notice right away!

It is spelt with a lowercase "x", and yes, I can honestly tell you that gameplay would change dramatically. Right now, it takes about half the game for Soviet fleets to get into a position where they can nuke North America from the Artic Ocean. If you were to use a more realistic model, it would happen much, much faster. Right now, you can look at the map, select two points, and have some idea of how long it will take units to get from one point to the other. There is a very obvious correlation between the distance between two points, and how long it will take a unit to get there. This makes it very easy to coordinate, say, bomber strikes. Change it, and bombers sent from the southern tip of South America will take off, launch their nukes, and be back before bombers from Mexico are even halfway across the Atlantic.

So, yes, I am certain that I would notice.

A game of global thermonuclear war played on a spherical map would be a neat game. I might even buy it. However, it would not be Defcon. It would be something else.

xander

Return to “Mod Projects”