Mod: Worldcon

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

N0ught
level3
level3

Mod: Worldcon

Postby N0ught » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:49 am

I liked the Satcon mod's map and water texture (made by asurin), but I thought the style had a bit too much contrast, so I made this camouflage style to go with it - it really compliments the game's native graphics. I also preferred the original Defcon sprites, and have included them instead of asurin's custom sprites.

The connection between the original defcon style and Wargames is classic, but I find Worldcon to have a more modern appeal - satellite imagery, with more basic symbols to represent military units, and a forest/desert camouflage color scheme.

Here is my Defcon website, showcasing a few screenshots and the download for "Worldcon":

http://www.freewebs.com/defc0nf1ve/Index.htm
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:53 am

nICE MOD, BUT YOU SHOULD RETHInK YOUR DESIGn-CHOICES; ALL-CAPS WITH LOWER-CASE n IS EXTREMELY AnnOYInG TO READ.
AnD LEET-SPEAK CEASED TO BE COOL AGES AGO.
extremejon
level2
level2

Postby extremejon » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:09 am

Yeah...What do the ns represent?
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:36 am

It all looks fine if you have the "Kremlin" font installed:

http://www.dafont.com/alpha.php?lettre=k&page=25

And as far as "leet-speak" goes, I used numbers as letters on the site name to make sure I could get that name. Who harasses people about their website names? Seriously...

And I use a zero in my name because it's my (SIC). I couldn't care less what you think about that.

Try the mod or shut it. :twisted:
GarethEvans
level0

Postby GarethEvans » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:17 am

It's a very nice mod, I like it.

The case sensitivity of the website is a bit odd though (the vast majority of people wouldn't have kremlin as an installed font)
Xan
level1
level1

Postby Xan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:13 am

have any one been having a.. hmm.. how to say it.. lags? when the defcon is starting up when this mod is activated?
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:19 am

'data\earth\blur.bmp'

Filesize: 41.7 MB
Dimensions: 5120 x 2850
Depth: 24 bit

I think that explains the lag ... And yes, most (if not all) computers will lag when applying such a texture!
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:23 pm

Yeah sorry about the long load time - the blur.bmp image is apparently the texture map the game uses when you zoom in.

I tried using smaller images, but this led to less detail when zoomed in, which I thought was detrimental to the ambience - so I'm leaving it in. ;)

At least the download is only 11MB. :lol:

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! I hope lots of people use this mod - I know I do and I love it.
Mattu
level1
level1

Postby Mattu » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:23 pm

Just a little thing I noticed...

It says "Massively Multiplayer" on the top of the website. Last time I checked, 6 people in one game isn't exactly the definition of massive. Might want to edit that... and the caps...
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:11 pm

What I meant by "Massively Multiplayer" is that hundreds are playing the same game at the same time - you could just as easily argue that Diablo 2 Battlenet is not massively multiplayer, because only 8 people can be in a game at the same time. But you would be wrong.

And the caps are so it all shows up correctly using the Kremlin font - were I to write it out correctly it would be gibberish in that font. Kremlin has strange lower-case letters. This way, the text is at least readable with both fonts. :)
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:21 pm

N0ught wrote:you could just as easily argue that Diablo 2 Battlenet is not massively multiplayer, because only 8 people can be in a game at the same time. But you would be wrong.
Uhm, actually you wouldn't.

Wikipedia wrote:A massively multiplayer online game (MMOG) is a type of computer game that enables hundreds or thousands of players to simultaneously interact in a game world they are connected to via the Internet.
... And even if you don't trust Wikipedia (you shouldn't always), you can trust me on this:
Massively Multiplayer means a lot of people simultaneously interact. No, Battlefield 1942 isn't an MMOFPS, either (and that even has 64 players interacting simultaneously).

Luckily, I have the Kremlin font installed, so your site looks just fine for me. I suggest you change the text to propercase though - It will look ugly to the 98% who haven't got Kremlin installed.
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:25 pm

Bah, I say.
captainfred
level1
level1

Postby captainfred » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:50 pm

Great mod N0ught :) I just love it how people change the scope of the topic and pick on trivial stuff. :roll: Oh! and the stock Defcon game has Kremlin font anyway.
yokken
level2
level2

Postby yokken » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:53 pm

Hey N0ught, awesome mod man. Don't listen to zanzer, he's just mad that he didn't think of such a cool idea. Seriously man, this mod is sweet. And that's an awesome website you got there too. It doesn't matter if they don't have the Kremlin font.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:18 am

Don't get me wrong, I like this mod/style. I don't care whether it says Hello Kitty Dinosaur Playground, as long as it plays fine :P

Just didn't want to let people go unaware of the actual definition of MMO.

~ As I've already said, your site looks just fine for me, and changing it was only meant as advice. (Interesting site, seems you've done mods for other games as well)

Return to “Mod Projects”