Land Units

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

belkheiri
level1
level1

Land Units

Postby belkheiri » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:23 pm

Is it possible to make land units like Tanks, Humvee's, nuclear MLRS et cetera...
Because naval units are boring me a little...
denzil
level2
level2

Postby denzil » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:48 pm

I do not believe it to be possible at this version of Defcon, should Introversion decide to allow additonal gameplay, such as you have suggested, then sure, but not at this stage.
xander
level5
level5

Re: Land Units

Postby xander » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:19 pm

belkheiri wrote:Is it possible to make land units like Tanks, Humvee's, nuclear MLRS et cetera...

No. Unless you set the entire world to sailable, then your sea units can cross the land.

belkheiri wrote:Because naval units are boring me a little...

I certainly understand that. I am a bit bored with only only white and black pieces in Go.

xander
denzil
level2
level2

Re: Land Units

Postby denzil » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:09 pm

xander wrote:No. Unless you set the entire world to sailable, then your sea units can cross the land.

Saying that, you can make sailable the same as land (blanking the oceanic parts) and alter the fleet graphics to be vehicles, would need to change the text in the language folder also so it doesn't say "Submarine" with the picture of an APC or something... but yeh only way I can think of it working at current
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:17 pm

Doesn't work, I tried. You wont be able to place land units and you wont have any cities. The game uses the mask of the inverse of sailable and territory in order to determine where land is.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
denzil
level2
level2

Postby denzil » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:22 pm

Me and zanzer were just talking, if you made roads then it seems possible, have the vehicles follow nodes on the roads, with them set as water, the rest land so cities and buildings can be placed, structures shouldn't be built on roads anyway :p
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:23 pm

I've got an idea for "land" units:

Make the map have roads (as sailable terrain), that way you can have your land units "drive" on these roads. With intersections and everything, that'd work like bottleneck'ing land units, increasing your chance of avoiding those SCUD launchers from ever getting in range :)

EDIT: Yeah denzil, just steal all the credit, that's fine :P (kidding :D)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:44 pm

denzil wrote:Me and zanzer were just talking, if you made roads then it seems possible, have the vehicles follow nodes on the roads, with them set as water, the rest land so cities and buildings can be placed, structures shouldn't be built on roads anyway :p

How does that work with the 22 node limit that I have heard about?

xander
denzil
level2
level2

Postby denzil » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:46 pm

There's a limit of 22? Not heard that one before. If so that will guage the size and number of roads!
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:25 pm

I've heard it too...

Well, it just puts a limit on how many roads you can have, I suppose ...
LutjeKabal
level1
level1

Postby LutjeKabal » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:46 am

Why dont you just draw a "terrain" road on the coast lines. You could make the whole map into sea and then draw 2 water borders next to each other at the coasts and make the space inside this 2 lines into terrain/ground. That way the "floating" ground units would not be able to reach the sea. Or is this not possible?
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:57 am

This is a bad Idea
extremejon
level2
level2

Postby extremejon » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:10 am

Besides, what tactical value would land units have?
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:13 am

Kuth wrote:This is a bad Idea
I don't think anyone would enjoy 'Land units' on the standard world map, no.
Of course, it would ruin the game if actual land units were introduced as the game is by default.

But pseudo-land units on a map designed for it? I've gotta say the idea sounds interesting at some point. Though it would gameplay-wise be no different from a game with rivers and lakes, it'd be a shame to block the creativity to spawn a mod showing 'pseudo-land-units' put to good use.

I say as long as people know what they're dealing with (and not asking to 'fix stuff' or 'make stuff more realistic'), there's no end to the creative possibilities in this game ~ But that's just me, anyway
extremejon
level2
level2

Postby extremejon » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:20 am

zanzer7 wrote:
Kuth wrote:This is a bad Idea
I don't think anyone would enjoy 'Land units' on the standard world map, no.
Of course, it would ruin the game if actual land units were introduced as the game is by default.

But pseudo-land units on a map designed for it? I've gotta say the idea sounds interesting at some point. Though it would gameplay-wise be no different from a game with rivers and lakes, it'd be a shame to block the creativity to spawn a mod showing 'pseudo-land-units' put to good use.

I say as long as people know what they're dealing with (and not asking to 'fix stuff' or 'make stuff more realistic'), there's no end to the creative possibilities in this game ~ But that's just me, anyway

Aggred in every way.

Return to “Mod Projects”