Modding Capabilities

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

graphain
level1
level1

Modding Capabilities

Postby graphain » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:03 pm

So what is possible in Defcon beyond Text Changes, Sprite Replacements, Map Changes and Sound Changes?
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:07 pm

Not much as of yet. We're quite a few who are looking into it though ;)

EDIT: It's quite a nice idea, though ~ to gather our knowledge, I mean. You know, I'll try to keep a subsection updated so every other person won't have to find out everything for themselves!
graphain
level1
level1

Postby graphain » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:24 pm

Hmm so unless somehow more files become available/the exe is reverse engineered easily (probably a copyright infringement) there is no way to alter the gameplay even a little - only the theme can be altered.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:31 pm

By properly modifying the map (ie. making a completely new map), you're definitely changing the gameplay. I know what you're thinking of though, and ... Well, if there are any values that change gameplay in main.dat, I've yet to find them.

It should be possible though, if nothing else then with memory injection procedures ... *sigh*

~

On a side note, for all those new to modding; might I suggest having a look at the Modding guide over at defcongame.tk I just wrote? :)
Last edited by zach on Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:32 pm

graphain wrote:Hmm so unless somehow more files become available/the exe is reverse engineered easily (probably a copyright infringement) there is no way to alter the gameplay even a little - only the theme can be altered.

Only if you don't consider different maps to alter gameplay... The mechanics are different, but a different distribution of cities/countries/oceans could easily change the game on a fundamental level.

xander
graphain
level1
level1

Postby graphain » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:13 pm

Yeh perhaps I should rephrase what I meant. Gameplay mechanics can not be altered. Sure the gameplay will be different with different maps and this is a great start for modding crews but I'm talking of using the engine for some new gameplay or at the very least changing even the speed of fighters for instance.

//Edit Wicked guide, I was wondering when something like this would come up but wow it's even better quality and more comprehensive than I expected.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:28 pm

graphain wrote:Wicked guide, I was wondering when something like this would come up but wow it's even better quality and more comprehensive than I expected.
I'll take that as a compliment :)

As for engine modding, well, we'll see where it goes. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's impossible ... Ever since people started modding Defcon, new stuff to alter and shape has been discovered ... it was only this morning I posted screenshots of a new map, you know ;) (And I believe we were given a fictional deadline to have the first map mod ready in two weeks after release ... :P)
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:50 pm

zanzer7, I see in your modding guide that you cannot adjust sailable.bmp without a travel node mismatch error. All you have to do in theory is edit travel_nodes.bmp so that all the nodes are still in the 'sailable' region - at least that seems to work from my quick and dirty testing right now!
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:54 pm

I already tried that with no luck, believe me ... but then again, I just might've been out of luck at that time :P

I'll be sure to try some more when I have some time to spare.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:02 pm

Well, if you take the original file and simply add more white (sailable) space, the game doesn't complain. I also tried removing all the nodes, and I could then turn sailable.bmp into whatever shape I like :) However, I don't know what effect removing nodes would have on the game.

EDIT: On further investigation, it is entirely possible, and fairly easy, to make your own sets of travel nodes using Paint once you have a world map, but there can only be 22 nodes or less.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:22 pm

Thanks a lot for that information, shinygerbil!
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:23 pm

zanzer7, I have to disagree with your modding guide in regards to overwriting the sound files is better. Altering the sounds.txt from /data/ is a lot more effective, for example, just look at the version of the Khalath's original NoCry mod compared to mine. He's original mod was over 500KB in size whereas mine was 3KB.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:28 pm

Montyphy wrote:Altering the sounds.txt from /data/ is a lot more effective, for example, just look at the version of the Khalath's original NoCry mod compared to mine.
That is definitely true, though only for disabling sounds and music, right?
I'd better rewrite that part to be a bit more elaborate.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:33 pm

No, you can add your own sounds just by adding lines like:

Code: Select all

SAMPLE  kickassogg

into the SAMPLEGROUPS. kickassogg would then have to be an ogg that exists in your /data/sounds folder. I've been meaning to check if Defcon is actually limited to playing ogg files....
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:37 pm

That would make it more or less the exact same file size, I believe ... only the second one would either keep using the "old" sound files, or discard them whatsoever, whereas ...

Oh but well, changing sounds.txt gives you flexibility of file names, I'd say that's a reason to do it that way.

Return to “Mod Projects”