Trouble starting Defcon (resolution/screen issue)

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Defcon_Wycombe
level0

Trouble starting Defcon (resolution/screen issue)

Postby Defcon_Wycombe » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:02 pm

Hi guys,

I'd appreciate any help or advice you could give me - please bear with my description of the problem, but I'm stumped.

I'm experiencing the same issue on both me Windows 7 (64-bit) system, and my Mac OSX 10.8.1 system.

I recently bought a new computer and tried to install my retail version of Defcon onto it. This was a boxed retail version of the game, compatible with Windows that I installed onto my Windows computer. Although the install appeared to work correctly, when I launched the game, it opened up "offset" - ie. the screen was cut off at the top and right hand side - I could only see the bottom left of the launch/home screen. In addition my mouse pointer wouldn't track all over the available screen - my mouse pointer would hit an invisible wall halfway down the screen and Windows thought I was at the start menu / system tray.

I thought this was odd, tried changing various resolutions and selecting 'open in windowed mode' but nothing helped.

So I decided to download (and buy!) a new copy of the game, from Steam on my Mac system. Despite being a completely different system, and bought through steam (which correctly plays my other games) I had the exact same issue.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks guys,

Andy
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:40 pm

My first thought was resolution, but you seem to have ruled that out. Can we get a screenshot of what you are actually seeing?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Defcon_Wycombe
level0

Postby Defcon_Wycombe » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:43 pm

Sure, thanks for offering to help out with some advice, let me grab one -hang on.
Defcon_Wycombe
level0

Postby Defcon_Wycombe » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Thats what I'm still seeing on Windows, but miraculously, the Mac version has decided to start working perfectly! Weird... Any ideas?[/img]
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:25 pm

I think you can set the screen resolution in the config file. I don't remember if that's the name, but it's a text file where you can change the start-up resolution and windowed mode. I'd try that, setting it to something smaller than your screens max + windowed.

Other options:

1. Update drivers for your graphics.
2. Is 1.42 the latest Defcon patch? I thought it was 1.6. Make sure you have the latest patch.

I don't remember seeing this issue in the past. Thankfully, there are others who are much smarter than I and can probably point you in the correct direction.
Defcon_Wycombe
level0

Postby Defcon_Wycombe » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:03 pm

Yeah, graphics drivers are fully up to date - haven't tried messing with the config files though (wouldn't know where to start!)
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Ah, it's preferences.txt. I am at work now, so I don't know the path, but I think it's

C:\Program Files (x86)\Defcon

It will be different for Steam.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”