DEFCON CD Install - Corrupted Sounds.dat

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Darkchef
level0

DEFCON CD Install - Corrupted Sounds.dat

Postby Darkchef » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:23 pm

I purchased defcon earlier and have just tried to install it and the installer fails with the message:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Defcon\sounds.dat

An error occurred while trying to copy a file:
The Source file is corrupted."

Does this mean that the disk is corrupt and unusable?

I am currently trying to download the demo and enter the key to see if it will work that way.

Anybody have any ideas?
Darkchef
level0

Found The Fix...

Postby Darkchef » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:34 pm

Right seems like i've found a possible fix, you just simply copy the sounds.dat file manually from D:\gamefiles\sounds.dat to C:\Program Files (x86)\Defcon\sounds.dat.

I'm guessing this could be a 64bit issue...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:04 pm

First off, the files on the disk should not be corrupted, unless there is something physically wrong with the CD. That being said, the only difference between the demo version of Defcon, and the unlocked version, is that the unlocked version has an auth key. The best fix for the problem would be to download the game from IV, and install it. There is no physical media to be corrupted, and you will have the newest version of the game.

Additionally, assuming that the CD is in good condition, the message you got may be a result of Windows having a cow (Defcon and the installer were written for XP, and my not work quite as well under Vista or Win7, or on 64 bit machines), or a problem with permissions. You may need to run the installer on the CD in compatibility mode (or whatever it is that Win7 calls the XP emulating mode that it has).

But, again, your best option is to download the most recent version from IV.

xander
Darkchef
level0

Postby Darkchef » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:16 pm

xander wrote:First off, the files on the disk should not be corrupted, unless there is something physically wrong with the CD. That being said, the only difference between the demo version of Defcon, and the unlocked version, is that the unlocked version has an auth key. The best fix for the problem would be to download the game from IV, and install it. There is no physical media to be corrupted, and you will have the newest version of the game.

Additionally, assuming that the CD is in good condition, the message you got may be a result of Windows having a cow (Defcon and the installer were written for XP, and my not work quite as well under Vista or Win7, or on 64 bit machines), or a problem with permissions. You may need to run the installer on the CD in compatibility mode (or whatever it is that Win7 calls the XP emulating mode that it has).

But, again, your best option is to download the most recent version from IV.

xander

Thanks for the reply.

There is nothing physically wrong with the cd at all, no obvious damage to it to suggest the data has been corrupted.

I have also been having problems authenticating my key so it seems to be something to do with permissions.

I will try to run the installer in compatibility mode.

EDIT: It worked fine under compatibility mode, seems like it doesnt agree with windows 7 too well. Thanks.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”