Stealing Focus?

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Wasgood
level5
level5

Stealing Focus?

Postby Wasgood » Sun May 02, 2010 2:36 am

I launch Defcon, and Defcon doesn't demand focus, and another program steals it. So basically is flickers and switches from Defcon, desktop and Defcon with my taskbar, I have Windows 7, I have no problems with any other games. But I suspect my computer somehow...
Vavrek
level0

Postby Vavrek » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:47 am

Until just now, I was having the same problem: When Defcon launches, it has focus, but it is as though the program is struggling to not be on top. After a moment, it starts to flash black, and eventually finds itself sitting underneath the taskbar or another window I have open. I got it to settle down only long enough to paste in my authkey--I think that had something to do with typing in the code box. I'm running Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit. I didn't have these problems in WinXP Pro, but they persist whether or not I set the compatibility options to XP, Vista, etc. I even tried running it as Administrator. I wrote that description, then went back to look at the compatibility options one more time, and I found the solution.

Solution:
I managed to make Defcon work by going into the Compatibility options (Right-click, Properties, Compatibility, for those who aren't familiar) and, under Settings, clicking "Disable desktop composition". It resets my desktop to Windows Classic while Defcon is running, which makes my screen flash a lot when I'm turning the game on and off, but it allows Defcon to hold focus. Obviously, this should only be an interim fix and I hope the problem is investigated soon, but it's good enough to let me play.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”