'Cease fire' command not working?

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Morgy
level0

'Cease fire' command not working?

Postby Morgy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:10 pm

I seem to be having trouble getting the 'cease fire' command to work. Specifically, if I uncheck the cease fire box on an ally, my units still do not open fire automatically as described in the tooltip. I can get my units to cease fire on a 'non-ally', but apparently not the reverse.

I tested this against the AI, and here is a screenshot showing my units not attacking:

Although this is just against the AI, I am fairly sure this is still the case against human players, although I haven't been able to test for sure if this is the case or not.

It seems to me like a bug, but I'm sure that loads of people would have noticed it if that were the case. Could there be something wrong at my end, and if so, then what? I've tried a clean reinstall but that hasn't changed anything. Any help would be much appreciated.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:49 pm

I've been playing since just after release, and I don't think I've ever seen "remove cease fire" from an ally cause units to begin attacking.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Morgy
level0

Postby Morgy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:28 pm

Oh, well does cease fire have any function at all with regards to allies then? The second post by xander on this page (in particular the post that he quotes) suggests that it does: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon/viewtopic.php?t=3526&highlight=cease+fire#top

xander wrote:
poorsod wrote:It confuses me the way allies can turn off ceasefire without you knowing and then attack you without defecting. I think alliance and ceasefire should be tied, unless anyone can put forward a case for them not to be.

EDIT: that was unclear. I can understand why you would want a ceasefire without an alliance, but I don't like the way you can have an alliance without a ceasefire. Turning off ceasefire should be an automatic defection.

You have an ally. You do not trust said ally. You turn off ceasefire, and eliminate his units when they cross into your airspace, but still force him to suck down collateral if he nukes you. It is also a sneaky way to take out allied ships with your subs. Think of it this way -- in real life, an alliance is a mutal kind of thing -- both parties agree to ally. The alliance can be broken when one person decides to leave, or the other person decides to kick them out. However, in real life, you might attack an "ally" and make it look like an "enemy" did it in order to confuse them, or get them to attack the "enemy." Same thing works in Defcon. i.e. Holy shit! Russia just nuked your silo! You'd better go get him!

xander

However, you can manually force attack individual units of an ally regardless of whether cease fire is on or off, so I'm now quite confused about what it does when applied to an ally.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:30 pm

Ceasefire or not, you can always target your allies units. The only difference I'm aware of is that with ceasefire disabled, subs of allies get attacked once spotted (via active sonar or anti-sub mode of carriers).
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:33 pm

/me goes to test
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”