0 Servers Found.

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

EazyCurrE
level0

0 Servers Found.

Postby EazyCurrE » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:32 am

I obviously have internet, but Idk what the problem is. Heres a screenshot. http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6278/def ... 02424h.png
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:55 am

Check your firewall settings. Defcon communicates with the metaserver with UDP and uses ports 5011 and 5009 locally. The metaserver IP is 67.159.43.240 (metaserver.introversion.co.uk) and it uses UDP port 5008. If things are not working, it's best to instruct your firewall to allow all incoming traffic from that IP and that port.

Or, if our firewall is Norton, uninstall it, stake it, burn it, bury it.
EazyCurrE
level0

Postby EazyCurrE » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:52 pm

I'll look into it, but if it's between Defcon and Norton, I'm getting rid of Defcon ;)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:44 pm

You have Norton :shock: My condolences. Try explicitly unlocking the ports then. But know this about the way Norton Firewall works:
All incoming connections are blocked by default. Then, when Defcon makes an outgoing connection to the metaserver (or any game server for that matter), a separate process detects that and unblocks the port used by the server for response. This happens in a separate process. In the best case, this means the unblocking comes a tad late for the first response packets to come through. In the case you're experiencing, the unblocking never happens. In other words, it is broken by design. It simply does not reliably allow outbound UDP 'connections'. It can basically strike any game that uses UDP.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:15 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:You have Norton ... it is broken by design.

Fix'd. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
EazyCurrE
level0

Postby EazyCurrE » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:29 pm

I turned off my Norton completley and I still can't get any servers.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:35 pm

Then there's something else blocking the connection. Another firewall, perhaps (you have at least one other, the one that comes with Windows, although that generally is unproblematic unless you explicitly tell it to block stuff), or a misconfigured router. (And I have the sneaking suspicion that Norton even does stuff in the 'off' state. Yes, I really like that product this much.)
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:28 pm

A hint to track down the prob can be the fact, that your key is accepted, thus a connection to the metaserver has been sucssesfully established.
I myself dont know how these 2 connections vary. Maybe one is tcp other udp or they use different ports or just outbound connection needed for authentification.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:54 pm

trickser wrote:A hint to track down the prob can be the fact, that your key is accepted, thus a connection to the metaserver has been sucssesfully established.
I myself dont know how these 2 connections vary. Maybe one is tcp other udp or they use different ports or just outbound connection needed for authentification.
They're both UDP, but use the two different local source ports. Can't remember which was 5011 and which 5009, though.
EazyCurrE
level0

Postby EazyCurrE » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:20 am

Thanks for all your help, you seem like nice people, but I think I'm gonna give up on this game. I might revisit Defcon whenever it's online service gets fixed, because I honestly don't have this kind of trouble with other games.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:56 am

The "online services" are not a problem. I play Defcon online every day, as does quite a few people from all around the world. So that there is proof enough the online reliability is just fine. You might not have searched well enough into the solutions suggested by the other members, or there is something else wrong with your connection/computer.

Also, (someone correct me if I'm wrong), But you can not turn Norton completely off unless it's uninstalled.

Try entering in a server manually by click the "All Games" tab and selecting "Enter IP Manually", from the Server List screen. Here is one you can try.

IP- 72.167.144.25
Port- 5010

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”