Retail box missing authkey

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

themacmeister
level0

hehe

Postby themacmeister » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:05 am

You may all think they are great guys, but check out their response I received just this morning:

"The boxed copy of Darwinia does not require a authentication key. It is a
install from the cd.

Thanks for your support,

IV
London"

A bit short-staffed?

Hoping for more joy after they read my pithy reply!
themacmeister
level0

da-da

Postby themacmeister » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:11 am

...and here is the response from EB Games, which looks like a copy/paste job:

"CD keys are supplied by the distributor of a game. If a game is purchased without having a required CD key with it, we will return this back to the distributor. We will not sell the title again. Furthermore, online games and games that require activation online to play them are not able to be returned under our 7 day return policy."

hmmm.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Re: hehe

Postby ynbniar » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:19 am

themacmeister wrote:You may all think they are great guys, but check out their response I received just this morning:

install from the cd.

Thanks for your support,

IV
London"

A bit short-staffed?

Which IV staff member sent you that, out of interest?
Alq Veers
level0

Postby Alq Veers » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:50 am

LOL. That is the exact same reply I got from EB. I deleted it straight after reading as I don't care about their bs.
I wasn't even going to read the email but I thought I should, but they pass the blame along in complete bs fashion, they wont take it off the shelf. And the game, from my understanding needs the key to function fully.. the Demo is not the full game as they were selling.

In otherwords, I'm not buying from EB again. Better stores around that don't provide all their bs. And the stores aren't as packed.. EB has too much in too little space normally.

Sorry for the 'bs' everywhere.. I'm in a bad mood wit EB.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:03 pm

ynbniar wrote:
themacmeister wrote:You may all think they are great guys, but check out their response I received just this morning:

install from the cd.

Thanks for your support,

IV
London"

A bit short-staffed?

Which IV staff member sent you that, out of interest?
/me points out the message is talking about Darwinia, not Defcon. I don't know about the boxed copies, especially not those that made it to the stores, but it would not surprise me if Darwinia wouldn't require a key while Defcon most certainly does.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:27 pm

Yep, Darwinia doesn't require a key, it's a misunderstanding, so if your pithy reply doesn't highlight that the game in question is Defcon then make another ;)
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:33 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:
ynbniar wrote:Which IV staff member sent you that, out of interest?
/me points out the message is talking about Darwinia, not Defcon. I don't know about the boxed copies, especially not those that made it to the stores, but it would not surprise me if Darwinia wouldn't require a key while Defcon most certainly does.

I noticed the Darwinia/Defcon thing and only asked because I've only ever got emails from people at IV...seems strange to get one from unidentified, though perhaps not impossible...
themacmeister
level0

Finished

Postby themacmeister » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:32 am

I did have a name, but excluded it for his sake. I mentioned Defcon in the message subject, and 3 times throughout the email. I DID NOT mention any other games. For this person to confuse the issue was impossible.

I returned both games I got from EB, including Defcon (1 day to spare). After returning the games (the other game was HL2-Episode Pack btw), I got some more helpful support from IV, but unfortunately, had already returned the game.

Warning: HL2/ep1/ep2 etc. will not even INSTALL without Steam. This sucks b*lls.

I'm sure I will not have this problem buying directly from IV.

Cheers everyone.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”