Corrupt Graphics [All Introversion Games Effected] [Steam]

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

anubis2591
level0

Corrupt Graphics [All Introversion Games Effected] [Steam]

Postby anubis2591 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:17 am

I am completely unable to play DEFCON since when I start the game, the graphics are completely corrupt. I attempted to get a screenshot of this but it turned out normally. The interesting thing is the exact same thing happens if I try to Alt-Tab out of Uplink. When returning to Uplink the exact same graphical corruption happens. This isn't a problem since Uplink is completely playable but in DEFCON this graphical corruption happens every time I start the game. I can't even see an options menu to try to fiddle with the resolution or figure out what's causing this.

My Specs:
Windows 7 (64bit)
AMD A10-4600M
Radeon HD 7660G + HD 7600M Dual Graphics
6Gb RAM

DirectX and my AMD drivers are up to date.

Interestingly, this post on Steam reports the same problem with a similar graphics setup. When seeing that I suspected that the hybrid graphics might be to blame, but disabling them did not fix my issue.

Edit: Just tried out Prison Architect, exact same thing. Starting in safe mode is fine, changing the resolution back to 1920x1080 fullscreen brings the graphical corruptions back. This is really perplexing how this is happening in almost all of the Introversion games I've tried.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Re: Corrupt Graphics [All Introversion Games Effected] [Stea

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:08 am

Must be on your end, I do all of the folowing you mentioned above and never had a problem. Alt - tab I do at least 40 times each game fiddling with my YouTube playlist durring game play. Lol ik I didnt help much.
anubis2591
level0

Postby anubis2591 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:18 am

Yes it is for sure on my end, dependent on my graphics hardware. As it turns out, I have the same issue with Prison Architect. I filled out a bug report on the PA bug tracker but that hasn't gotten any attention yet sadly. I do believe this is something only the developers can fix, thus the bug report. It's just quite odd that all of Introversion's 2D games have this problem on my hardware (their 3D game, Darwinia. works just fine).

Also I will say I've never had any problems with 2D games, it's limited to specifically Introversion 2D titles. Weird.

Edit: Link to the bug tracker report: http://bugs.introversion.co.uk/view.php?id=7199
zouhair
level1
level1

Postby zouhair » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:46 pm

Try this, go to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Defcon

Open preferences.txt

In the first and second line change them to a lower resolution, like if your max res is 1920x1080 change it to 1600x900 and don't forget to turn Window mode on by changing ScreenWindowed option to 1

ScreenWidth = 1600
ScreenHeight = 900
ScreenWindowed = 1

Save and restart the game

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”