Won´t update..

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

GAMER1992
level1
level1

Won´t update..

Postby GAMER1992 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:41 am

I have just installed the Defcon yet again, but when i try to update the game it won´t work. It tries to replace the .exe file but i get error code 5. What should i do?
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:42 am

Are you certain that Defcon is closed when you try to update?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Rogviler
level2
level2

Postby Rogviler » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:21 am

I've had the same issue on two different computers, and before too many people start screaming about the game being open when you're trying to update (which it definitely wasn't for me, I'm almost smart enough to have figured that out on my own...), just boot into Safe Mode (turn the computer on and almost immediately hit F8 a bunch of times until it gives you a screen to select Safe Mode) and then install the patch. That's the only thing that has worked for me.

I suspect that it has something to do with previous patches combined with certain hardware/software conditions. It's semi-rare, but like I said I've had two completely different computers do it, so I doubt I'm just crazy.

Good luck!

-Rog
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:32 am

I have heard tell of Defcon still running in the Task Manager, but I'm sure that can't be the case, if it takes multiple restarts to fix it! Unless, every time you try to update, you've already run Defcon at least once ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Rogviler
level2
level2

Postby Rogviler » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:30 am

shinygerbil wrote:I have heard tell of Defcon still running in the Task Manager, but I'm sure that can't be the case, if it takes multiple restarts to fix it! Unless, every time you try to update, you've already run Defcon at least once ;)

Yeah, maybe that's the case for some people, but even after having turned the computer off for several minutes and then on again it still did the same thing for me. I tried everything before doing the Safe Mode deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's some minuscule bit of code or maybe even another program that's doing the conflicting... Who knows.

Obviously most people don't have the problem, and that's good.

But I can pretty much guarantee that we'll see the question again in a few weeks and that the first suggestion will be that they have the game still running. :P

-Rog
warpigg
level0

I got win vista, had same problem.error code 5

Postby warpigg » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:03 am

:idea: last ditch effort worked!
Uninstall game,then drop the defcon folder in trashcan,restart pc.
install game.
before you start the game right click on the defcon icon,check the (run as administrater),then hit the (compatability with xp service pack2).
DO NOT start game yet! :shock:
go to the download site from the start menu. NOT the ingame button!
download the patch.it worked for me :o
arbitterm
level0

I figured out the problem...

Postby arbitterm » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:00 pm

It happens if you try to get the patch from within the game. If you start the game, there's the little notification in the bottom left hand corner telling you there's a patch available. If you click this, then close the game, the ex remains active. To fix it, press ctrl+alt+delete and select the Processes tab. Near the top, you'll see defcon.exe End this process then patch. Works like a charm for me.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”