Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Taedal
level2
level2

Steam: Authentification status : key revoked

Postby Taedal » Wed May 09, 2007 10:45 pm

Hi

WHen i auth in defcon it says key revoked. My only option is to select play as demo.

I have paid for the game but this has happened since the last update.

I'm guessing steam checked my exe when updating, found it to be unofficial (i moved the beta 1.41 exe into steamapps to play it couple of weeks back) and then flagged my auth as revoked because it failed a parity check - presumeably as an anti hacking measure at a guess. In effect I have "unbought" defcon as far as i can tell.

Please help me. I can give you my key here if need be or however it is best sorted...
Lastof
level2
level2

Postby Lastof » Thu May 10, 2007 12:22 am

I'd delete the copy you have in steamapps and redownload the steam version (I believe you can do that).

Steam seems to change the keys their users have once a month, so, this is hopefully what is messing you up.

Next time, install the other version separately, and then copy the auth-key across.
Taedal
level2
level2

Postby Taedal » Thu May 10, 2007 12:28 am

I tried reinstalling but when I put in my auth key it it says key revoked.. :(
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Thu May 10, 2007 1:05 am

Taedal wrote:I tried reinstalling but when I put in my auth key it it says key revoked.. :(

Eh, why do you need to enter your auth key?

Simply delete the authkey file and let Steam generate a new one?
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
Montyphy
level5
level5

Re: Steam: Authentification status : key revoked

Postby Montyphy » Thu May 10, 2007 8:50 am

Taedal wrote:i moved the beta 1.41 exe into steamapps to play it couple of weeks back

Why would you do something silly like that? Wherever the patch is advertised it says not compatible with Steam. Not only that but when Chris posts betas he normally mentions what Steam users have to do if they want to try the beta.

Finally, there are better ways to play Defcon without Steam.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Bongwater
level0

Postby Bongwater » Fri May 11, 2007 3:58 am

I have the same issue. I've tried reinstalling Steam, clearing out the Defcon directory. I assume the metaserver sees my SteamID and then issues an authentication based on it (provided my status is PAID, which it is). But here's my debug:

Defcon 1.42 steam built May 3 2007
Parsing archive main.dat...DONE
Client listening on port 5011
Parsing Coastline data (1776 islands) : 43ms
Parsing International data (2753 islands) : 19ms
Parsing City data (2745 cities) : 29ms
Parsing archive sounds.dat...DONE
Failed to load AuthKey : 'authkey'
Authentication key set : 'authkey not found'
Connection established to MetaServer, listening on Port 5009
Steam Authentication Initiated
Steam Authentication : Starting Steam
Steam Authentication : Starting Steam API
Requesting data from MetaServer : LatestVersion
Requesting data from MetaServer : MOTD
Steam Authentication : Logging On To Steam
Received data from MetaServer : LatestVersion
Received data from MetaServer : MOTD
Steam Authentication : Getting Steam Id
Steam Authentication : SteamID = (my Steam ID removed for public posting)
Steam Authentication : Getting Encryption Details
Received Authentication : authkey not found : (keyID -1) : Key invalid
Key failed basic check : authkey not found (result=Key invalid)
Requesting data from MetaServer : UpdateURL
Received data from MetaServer : UpdateURL
Requesting data from MetaServer : sb
Received data from MetaServer : sb
Steam Authentication FAILED
CLIENT : Disconnected
Disconnected from MetaServer

So, I'm not sure who to go to now. :(
ceenda
level0

Postby ceenda » Fri May 11, 2007 1:47 pm

Yup, same here.

It has a good long think about "Getting encryption details" and then refuses to validate a key.

I've done the usual stuff, check port forwarding etc. etc. and now I'm of the opinion it's more fannying about on Valve's side. Usually I'm quite patient, but it's getting close to "refund" time. It's just getting so tiresome now. It's almost like being punished for paying. :(

I've submitted a support request to valve (probably being processed sometime in June... 2009...) but I don't expect them to do anything, so I'm hoping people here might have some ideas.

Real shame, now it's out on Mac, I have a group of friends who really want to play this... but I can't join in. :oops:
MrBongo
level1
level1

Postby MrBongo » Fri May 11, 2007 2:20 pm

ceenda wrote:It has a good long think about "Getting encryption details" and then refuses to validate a key.

I'm having the exact same problem, and I just purchased the game May 10th, 2007. I have the receipt of purchase, and according to Steam I do in fact own the full version of the game - yet the program itself seems unable to authenticate me as anything but a DEMO user. I too submitted a complaint to Valve, but do not expect a reply for quite a while judging from the experiences of others... : /

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Here is the debug.txt file...

Defcon 1.42 steam built May 3 2007
Parsing archive main.dat...DONE
Client listening on port 5011
Parsing Coastline data (1776 islands) : 67ms
Parsing International data (2753 islands) : 30ms
Parsing City data (2745 cities) : 46ms
Parsing archive sounds.dat...DONE
Failed to load AuthKey : 'authkey'
Authentication key set : 'authkey not found'
Connection established to MetaServer, listening on Port 5009
Steam Authentication Initiated
Steam Authentication : Starting Steam
Steam Authentication : Starting Steam API
Requesting data from MetaServer : LatestVersion
Requesting data from MetaServer : MOTD
Steam Authentication : Logging On To Steam
Received data from MetaServer : LatestVersion
Received data from MetaServer : MOTD
Steam Authentication : Getting Steam Id
Steam Authentication : SteamID = (I have removed this for public posting)
Steam Authentication : Getting Encryption Details
Received Authentication : authkey not found : (keyID -1) : Key invalid
Key failed basic check : authkey not found (result=Key invalid)
Requesting data from MetaServer : UpdateURL
Received data from MetaServer : UpdateURL
Requesting data from MetaServer : sb
Received data from MetaServer : sb
Steam Authentication FAILED
CLIENT : Disconnected
Disconnected from MetaServer
Taedal
level2
level2

Postby Taedal » Fri May 11, 2007 4:20 pm

Monty it said no such thing and there were no instructions. So don't give me a hard time for trying to help IV by testing beta patches. (just to try and make yourself look clever). Check the general forum right now there's a beta with no mention of steam right there.

IT would be NICE to hear from staff given I have paid for this game but am now unable to play it for some time.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri May 11, 2007 4:30 pm

To IV's credit (and defense), Chris nearly always states that beta patches are not compatible with Steam.

Also...
ceenda
level0

Postby ceenda » Fri May 11, 2007 4:38 pm

FWIW, I've never installed a patch. I'm working with clean versions downloaded via Steam.

It's entirely possible that those who haven't had a problem yet may do so when the key runs out and needs to be re-authenticated.

The worry is that it's due to Valve's internal procedures which means a complete void of service and customer support.

I wonder if IV would offer a "crossgrade" to Steam owners... :lol:
Taedal
level2
level2

Postby Taedal » Fri May 11, 2007 5:15 pm

"Chris nearly always states that beta patches are not compatible with Steam. "

Nearly always doesn't help if on the occasion I have been testing the beta's it wasn't mentioned. As said there is a sticky as we speak which doesn't mention it.

Thanks for the jpg but clearly I let steam update the official patches for me, i was beta'ing - so it's irrelevant.

Moreover I don't even know if this .exe swapping is what has caused the issue - it is simply a hypothesis I form without any official feedback - despite this thread being top of the forum for 3 or so days.

I'm not looking for the likes of you and Monty to come and tell me that it's my fault. I'm looking for a solution.

I'm a consumer, I payed good money for a game - a game which I now can't play. Those are the facts that matter here.

edit. I should add that you can beta with steam as I did. The problem appears to have only occurred after the latest update. For all I know it has nothing to do with what version I was currently running.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri May 11, 2007 5:23 pm

Only trying to help :wink:

Question: Did you follow frenchfrog's suggestion above? (there's no reply to it).
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Taedal
level2
level2

Postby Taedal » Fri May 11, 2007 5:33 pm

well that is more helpful as I missed his post. Unfortunately it doesn't work - it just says it has failed to authenticate me and that I can play the demo version. Sob.
MrBongo
level1
level1

Postby MrBongo » Fri May 11, 2007 5:35 pm

I've followed the tips provided by FrenchFrog relating to the wiping of the authorization code- as well as the deletion of the file itself from the folder -but without any success. Secondly, I wouldn't be "blaming" Taedal for what he has come looking for help on, considering that myself and others are also suffering from the same problem and did not follow the same procedure or suspect the same source of error that he has. I myself, for example, never moved or altered my .exe file, yet I still suffer from the same authentication error.

I'm pretty sure that at this point the problem stems from the Valve system, not the fault of the users. As for the excuse that "beta patches" aren't compatible with Steam, you should know that Steam automatically downloads the most recently patched version of the game (in this case V 1.42) without the consent of the Steam user. The patches are in fact compatible with Steam (I am able to play the DEMO version of the game quite well), but I cannot comment as to the effect these patches have on whether or not one may authenticate a purchased version of the game to the "Full Version" status.

Hence the need for an official response from an Introversion Software staff member?

Thanks.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”