Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

gerph
level1
level1

Strange AI behaviour (1.4 PC)

Postby gerph » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:01 pm

Hiya,

I was just spectating a game with 1.4 PC and noticed some very strange behaviour from one of the CPU players. Ceige has a group of 6 subs in the sea off africa. It has a number of cities targetted by these subs. But it never launches. By keeping the mouse floating over one of the subs, it's clear that the AI is continually retargetting the subs at the same cities, and then clearing and starting again. I first noticed the subs surfaced when the victory timer read about 80 minutes. It wasn't until about 60 minutes that I realised that they still hadn't launched and paid more attention. I took a number of screenshots, just to prove that I'm not actually insane and this is really happening.

http://usenet.gerph.org/Defcon/2/ holds a collection of grabbed screenshots (converted to JPEGs) to show that I'm not making this up :-)

I've never seen this happen with the 1.3 or earlier versions.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:00 pm

I believe that this has something to do with the low population of those cities.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
gerph
level1
level1

Postby gerph » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:44 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:I believe that this has something to do with the low population of those cities.

Even still, I'd have thought that since those populations weren't changing it wouldn't re-target. Seems very bad - obviously makes those subs an easy target if they're just sitting surfaced for 80 minutes or so.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”