'unknown'

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

parrot of doom
level2
level2

'unknown'

Postby parrot of doom » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:35 pm

Right. When is this bug going to be fixed? I am sick and tired of connecting to servers and being known as 'unknown' with no player slot. Then reconnecting, only to find the server full.

And no, theres nothing wrong with my firewall or anything else. Its a bug with the game, and needs fixing. It happens every single night I try and play, probably on about 20% of servers I try and connect to.

No whiteboards, no mods, nothing else. Can you just fix these simple bugs please?
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:41 pm

I thought that was caused by the server's connection. I may be wrong though.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:07 pm

Is there anything interesting in your debug.txt when this is happening? Perhaps too many people try to join at once and the server gets _too_ full?

Anybody else seeing this?

And have particular steps to reproduce?

(If it could be of any help, I know that it's possible to run multiple defcons on the same computer in windowed mode. Of course, only one defcon will run with a particular key and the other copies of defcon should/will run in demo)

EDIT: BTW, even obvious bugs, if not reported won't necessarily get fixed, the Devs don't necessarily use the bugged feature or the problem doesn't necessarily affects all setups.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
parrot of doom
level2
level2

Postby parrot of doom » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:16 am

Everyone I've spoken to has experienced this ingame.

You log on, your name doesn't appear in the list of 6 players, but you can chat with other people. They don't see your name, just a gray 'unknown' and whatever you've typed.

Its extremely annoying, most times a 6 player server appears the slots are full in less than a minute and you don't get a chance to get back in.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:33 pm

And when you join as 'unknown' is there already 6 players on the server? Or is there other people joining right after you have joined (like a couple of seconds after you)?

Also check my previous post for the other questions I have for you ;)
parrot of doom
level2
level2

Postby parrot of doom » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:53 am

Particular steps to reproduce - start steam. Start Defcon. Try to enter a server. Encounter random fault. Throw keyboard through window.

Its got nothing to do with the number of players on a server. Or other people joining.

I'm astounded nobody has heard of this bug. Everyone I play against knows about it.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:40 am

frenchfrog wrote:And when you join as 'unknown' is there already 6 players on the server? Or is there other people joining right after you have joined (like a couple of seconds after you)?

Also check my previous post for the other questions I have for you ;)

This has happened to me in the past. I can recall joining a server with 5 open slots, plus the host, nobody else joining for a few more minutes afterwards. I always leave and reconnect. It has happened at least twice when joining as a spectator before the game gets started.

Never looked at any of the files.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:07 pm

/Signed.

Happens to me rarely. Reconnecting solves it. However, if you don't reconnect, you can spectate the game even if the host has set Max Spectators to zero.
Weps
level3
level3

Postby Weps » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:21 am

And it gets even worse when some asshole joins and thinks you like to cheat. This dude is private messaging me locations of nme forces and no-one else (since i'm the host) knows he joined (no one can see him):

I think specs get a +10 ID, right? So the game thinks he's a player.

It should be addressed in a next patch imho.
Last edited by Weps on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parrot of doom
level2
level2

Postby parrot of doom » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:47 pm

7 times tonight. I haven't been able to join a single game because of this stupid bug. I get in, but I'm unknown. Reconnect, same. Reconnect, same again. Reconnect, oops the server is full. Sorry, try somewhere else - only I can't because I'm unknown there too.

I'm rapidly losing patience. I can put up with the odd bug here and there, but when the programmers favour new features over fixing the most basic issues with the game, I don't see any reason why I should bother to continue playing, or even buying any more Introversion games.

Is it really too much to expect a response from anybody at Introversion, on their own forums? Looks like it.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:22 pm

parrot of doom wrote:7 times tonight. I haven't been able to join a single game because of this stupid bug. I get in, but I'm unknown. Reconnect, same. Reconnect, same again. Reconnect, oops the server is full. Sorry, try somewhere else - only I can't because I'm unknown there too.

The problem with this bug is that only three people have reported it, and it's not something that one is able to replicate in controlled conditions.

parrot of doom wrote:I'm rapidly losing patience. I can put up with the odd bug here and there, but when the programmers favour new features over fixing the most basic issues with the game, I don't see any reason why I should bother to continue playing, or even buying any more Introversion games.

Bugs like this are not easy to fix without cooperation. This kind of attitude will do nothing to fixing the bug. What kind of network card do you have? What about routers? ISP? Who are you connecting to? Does it happen to any game? Does that include LAN games? Have you tried anything to fix the bug? etc, etc.

I also fail to see what you're referring to when you talk about new features. The only thing that has been "added" recently is the maths lib for cross platform compatible code. Not a new feature.

parrot of doom wrote:Is it really too much to expect a response from anybody at Introversion, on their own forums? Looks like it.

No, frenchfrog works for IV. I administer the forums. Who else do you want to reply to this? John? Chris? Gary? Steven? Miah? Tom? Mark? Vic? Are you planning to collect the full set? Should I also go fetch James and the ASW lot?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but you're getting support and ignoring it, instead taking the time to bitch at us because we can't replicate this obscure bug. Tell us some info, help us track down the bug or it'll never get fixed.

NeoThermic
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:16 am

It has happened to me as well. I joined just as it was launching. I was never given a name, or even had any indication of joining. There was one other spec, I believe it was radient. But i did not even appear on the spec list. I could still talk, but i was "unknown". Radient may have some screens.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:30 am

Perhaps you could supply some of the information which NeoThermic alluded to in the previous post?
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:31 am

only happened once.
parrot of doom
level2
level2

Postby parrot of doom » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:35 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Bugs like this are not easy to fix without cooperation. This kind of attitude will do nothing to fixing the bug. What kind of network card do you have? What about routers? ISP? Who are you connecting to? Does it happen to any game? Does that include LAN games? Have you tried anything to fix the bug? etc, etc.

Network card - no idea, its on the motherboard which is an Asus A7N8X deluxe revision 2.

No router

ISP - NTL 4Mb cable

Who am I connecting to - anybody

Happens all the time, completely randomly

Don't play on LAN games, don't have a LAN

Tried to fix the bug? Yes, closed all manner of other programmes but it make no odds. FWIW I'm running XP, with Nod32, windows firewall, and peerguardian 2 (disabled for steam)

NeoThermic wrote:I also fail to see what you're referring to when you talk about new features. The only thing that has been "added" recently is the maths lib for cross platform compatible code. Not a new feature.

Mods, whiteboard, etc etc

NeoThermic wrote:No, frenchfrog works for IV. I administer the forums. Who else do you want to reply to this? John? Chris? Gary? Steven? Miah? Tom? Mark? Vic? Are you planning to collect the full set? Should I also go fetch James and the ASW lot?

Fair enough, I didn't know that so apologies to all. It would help if his/her avatar or signature gave mention of that, some people don't spend all day on forums.

NeoThermic wrote:I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but you're getting support and ignoring it, instead taking the time to bitch at us because we can't replicate this obscure bug. Tell us some info, help us track down the bug or it'll never get fixed.

I've answered all the questions put to me except the debug.txt, I wouldn't even know what that is or what would be interesting in it. A computer, to me, is mostly just a white metal box for working on, browsing the internet, and playing games.

And FWIW, I do not have any connection problems whatsoever with any other games, UT2004, any online HL1/2 mod, Farcry.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”