Bunsy's Little Guide To Ports and the Like

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

MrBunsy
level5
level5

Bunsy's Little Guide To Ports and the Like

Postby MrBunsy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:38 pm

Right, there's a huge amount of confusion on how to correctly configer your home network / modem / router or whatever in order to get Defcon to work. Here is my attempt to clear things up a little. If it sounds patronising, I apologise, if I've missed anything out, got anything wrong, please post and say so.

Definitions

IP Address: computer 'name'. Two main types: Internal and External. Internal addresses will generally start 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x (or 172.16.x.x to 172.31.x.x) Internal address aren't visable from the internet, which is why it requires some tinkering to get things to communicate easily.

Router: Box between the internet and an internal network. Normally uses Network Address Translation, meaning all your internal computers will have an internal IP each and share one external IP address.

Port: From my understanding, each programme sends data across the internet on different 'ports'. HTTP runs on port 80, FTP on port 21, etc. If anyone's got a good analagy, I'd be happy to hear it.

Local Area Network: (LAN) Name says it all really, small local network.

Modem: Connects [device] to internet, can be used in conjunction with a router or simply a single PC.

Hub / Switch: links PCs together, has no effect on Defcon. Chances are you won't have one of these unless you know what you're doing though.

Firewall: In this case I'm pretty sure the only ones we'll need to worry about are software. These are programmes which monitor all network / internet traffic and stop anything which it thinks shouldn't be there, generally this will include Defcon unless they're told otherwise.

What to do to get Defcon to work

If you have a router: In theory (I think) you shouldn't need to do anything to get defcon to connect to other games, but this will definatly be needed to host and may solve other problems.

For another computer out on the internet using Defcon to communicate with your internal computer you will have to 'forward' ports through the router to a single computer on the internal LAN. This means that if another computer out on the internet sends your external IP data on any of the defcon ports, it will be recieved by your actual computer because the router passes it on to it.

To forward ports your computer will preferably need a static internal IP address, otherwise you'll have to re-configer the router's port forwarding most times you reboot as by default your IP will change. For specific details for each individual router, PortForward.com is generally very useful. However to sum it up, you'll need to log into your routers admin/config page and find 'Applications or Games' (linksys routers), 'Virtual Servers', 'Port Forwarding', etc etc. Put in the port number, UDP or TCP, and the internal IP which it will be forwarded to.

The Defcon ports are 5008, 5009, 5010 and 5011 (all UDP).

Once you've done this, you'll need to go into Defcon, Options -> Network and set Port Forwarding to 'enabled'

If you have a software firewall (if not, why not? they're vital in this day and age unless you're behind a woping great big hardware firewall) It will hopefully ask you if you want to let defcon through the first time you run Defcon. This will normally be a pop up window or thing in the taskbar. If it doesn't come up then you'll have to open up the config page for the firewall, and either allow Defcon.exe or the above ports through. I'm afraid there are a lot of different firewalls out there, and I can't find a nice site explaining how to configer them all, if anyone knows of such a site, please let me know!

If you've got Norton Firewall and Defcon doesn't work... you're up the creak without a paddle. Norton is a peice of rotten dung and should be externimated. It loves to throw it's stupid little hammer in the works. /rant over.

If Defcon still doesn't work it might well be the server's fault, or the metaserver's lag issue. Have a go at hosting and see if people can join. If not, just post somewhere and I'm sure people'll answer provided you give enough detail.

Hopefully this will answer some of the questions people have, please give me some feedback either way, ie; useful, load of rubbish, 'can't understand a word of what you just wrote', etc. Thankyou.
DpNo1
level0

Postby DpNo1 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:29 pm

thank you.
PhantomTa2
level2
level2

Re: Bunsy's Little Guide To Ports and the Like

Postby PhantomTa2 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:43 pm

MrBunsy wrote:The Defcon ports are 5008, 5009, 5010 and 5011 (all UDP).

It should be noted that the default ports were 5000 and 5001 instead of 5008 and 5009, or at least they were when I configured mine on the day of release
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:45 pm

You sure? in the FAQ it only says 5008-5011, and I can host pretty hunky-dory with just those open.
Dru Lee Parsec
level1
level1

Postby Dru Lee Parsec » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:50 pm

OK, I opened Defcon in my Windows Firewall, and then I opened the 4 ports as UDP in my firewall.

I can now connect to games that other people have set up, but they cannot connect to games that I have set up. This same syptom occurs on my LAN. I can set up a game on my 2nd computer (Call it Machine B) and I can connect to it with my main computer (Machine A). But if I set it up with Machine A then Machine B can't connect to it.
Dru Lee Parsec
level1
level1

Postby Dru Lee Parsec » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:55 pm

Found it! My Dell Computer came with PC Chillin Security on it. That firewall was blocking the ports.
PhantomTa2
level2
level2

Postby PhantomTa2 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:07 pm

MrBunsy wrote:You sure? in the FAQ it only says 5008-5011, and I can host pretty hunky-dory with just those open.

Yeah, pretty sure, as I configured my router with the page opened so I wouldn't make a mistake with which ports to forward....I might change mine to the new ones to make sure, in case they updated the options through the server or something
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:16 pm

PhantomTa2 wrote:
MrBunsy wrote:You sure? in the FAQ it only says 5008-5011, and I can host pretty hunky-dory with just those open.

Yeah, pretty sure, as I configured my router with the page opened so I wouldn't make a mistake with which ports to forward....I might change mine to the new ones to make sure, in case they updated the options through the server or something
You can change the default ports withing the menu, so mabye it was that?

Dru Lee Parsec wrote:Found it! My Dell Computer came with PC Chillin Security on it. That firewall was blocking the ports.
hehe, typical. At least it's fixed though.
jungletek
level1
level1

Postby jungletek » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:17 pm

Dru Lee Parsec wrote:Found it! My Dell Computer came with PC Chillin Security on it. That firewall was blocking the ports.

Lol PC-Chillin'. Your computer was chillin' so much, it wasn't letting the traffic through... :lol:

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”