Game not working properly

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

SniFFer
level0

Game not working properly

Postby SniFFer » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:12 pm

Hi! I have a problem with the game. Everytime I click New Game, Tutorial or Demo I get nothing. Tutorial is loading endlessly etc. I read the threads on this forum with the same problem but found no solution. I forwarded the ports, disabled firewall, ... no effect. Than I tryed the game on my brother's PC and It works. The computers are in the same local network!

What to do?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:06 pm

Have you checked local firewall settings? Both Windows Firewall and third party?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
mibias
level5
level5

Re: Game not working properly

Postby mibias » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:36 pm

SniFFer wrote:Hi! I have a problem with the game. Everytime I click New Game, Tutorial or Demo I get nothing. Tutorial is loading endlessly etc. I read the threads on this forum with the same problem but found no solution. I forwarded the ports, disabled firewall, ... no effect. Than I tryed the game on my brother's PC and It works. The computers are in the same local network!

What to do?
jungletek
level1
level1

Postby jungletek » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:59 pm

Delete your preferences file/re-install.
Necromagus
level0

Postby Necromagus » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:49 pm

I have a similar problem. I've set Windows Firewall to accept both the game and the ports it uses, and I've opened the ports on my routers too. Even after setting my LAN IP as a DMZ, the game still won't work. Trying to delete the config file didn't work.
SniFFer
level0

Postby SniFFer » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:05 pm

Ok, after a few hours of comparing debug logs etc. I finally figured it out. The problem was that the game wasn't connecting to MY local IP but some other strange IP (0.2.0.4?!). I checked my network connections and found out that the game was using my firewire connection instead of LAN. I disabled that interface and it began to work. So Necro, check your network connections! If that doesn't work I'm all out of ideas :?
Necromagus
level0

Postby Necromagus » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:37 pm

Thanks for the hint, it seems I have the same problem as you. However, the extra network connection I have can't be disabled. I get the following error:
It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated by another user or the System account.
The device is labeled 'Microsoft TV/Video Connection'.

~edit: Turns out it was related to a generic webcam I had plugged in. Rebooting fixed the problem.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”