Defcon crashing when joining online games

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Sovetskeey
level0

Defcon crashing when joining online games

Postby Sovetskeey » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:49 pm

I tried reinstalling and it didn't fix the problem. When I join an online game, the little box with the yellow bar pops up and then the game crashes.

Any ideas what's wrong with it?

This is the details from the box that pops up when things crash:
Steven
level2
level2

Postby Steven » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:57 pm

I looked up winsflt.dll on Google. Apparently, it's a Winsock LSP called the "PureSight Internet Content Filter", which perfectly explains the problem. Uninstalling the parental control software will solve the problem.

If you have no parental control software, then it could be a different winsflt.dll.
Serathii
level2
level2

Postby Serathii » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:10 am

AppName: defcon.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.1 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00064ed1

I got a crash containing this. Any ideas?
Dave2
level4
level4

Postby Dave2 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:15 am

This appears to be a duplicate report of this topic, so I'd recommend posting/watching there.
Don't think about The Game.
Steven
level2
level2

Postby Steven » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:24 am

Dave2 wrote:This appears to be a duplicate report of this topic, so I'd recommend posting/watching there.

It's not quite a dupe. 0xc0000005 can happen in many places, and I wouldn't be surprised if these were separate issues.

Serathii wrote:AppName: defcon.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.1 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00064ed1

I got a crash containing this. Any ideas?

I'm afraid that provides us with too little information. All we can glean from that is that there was a crash in ntdll.dll. If we had a stack trace, that'd be handy. The thread Dave2 mentions does contain an example of such a stack trace, but I'm not sure we'd get that level of detail in a Windows crash.
Sovetskeey
level0

Postby Sovetskeey » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:16 pm

My antivirus suite has a parental control feature but it's completely disabled. I also unload my antivirus before I play any game.

Winsock is for creating internet connections though. It's not specific to just parental controls. I really doubt parental controls could cause a problem like this.
Steven
level2
level2

Postby Steven » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:50 pm

Sovetskeey wrote:My antivirus suite has a parental control feature but it's completely disabled. I also unload my antivirus before I play any game.

Winsock LSPs will stay loaded whether or not your antivirus or parental control is disabled.

Sovetskeey wrote:Winsock is for creating internet connections though.

Correct.

Sovetskeey wrote:It's not specific to just parental controls. I really doubt parental controls could cause a problem like this.

Your mistake is thinking that I am saying Winsock itself is at fault. it's not. Winsock LSPs are "Layered Service Providers". In the case of your parental control software, the way that it blocks sites is by denying connections vis a vis Winsock itself. It intercepts outgoing connections.

And if you look at the error yourself, you will see that the error is taking place inside the Winsock LSP, so think what you will, but the parental control software is what is at fault.
Mizer
level2
level2

Postby Mizer » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:51 pm

It tells you the failing module is winsflt.dll - as Steven said, it is a component of PureSight Internet Content Filter, and this is what is causing the crash.

I have not tried these steps as I do not have the problem, but here is what is supposed to cure it:

1. Download and run: LSPFix.exe - http://www.cexx.org/LSPFix.exe
2. Check 'I know what I'm doing'.
3. Select 'winsflt.dll'.
4. Click the right-pointing arrow.
5. Click 'Finished'.
6. Restart your computer.

Try again.
Sovetskeey
level0

Postby Sovetskeey » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:52 am

Mizer wrote:It tells you the failing module is winsflt.dll - as Steven said, it is a component of PureSight Internet Content Filter, and this is what is causing the crash.

I have not tried these steps as I do not have the problem, but here is what is supposed to cure it:

1. Download and run: LSPFix.exe - http://www.cexx.org/LSPFix.exe
2. Check 'I know what I'm doing'.
3. Select 'winsflt.dll'.
4. Click the right-pointing arrow.
5. Click 'Finished'.
6. Restart your computer.

Try again.

Finally somebody gives me an actual answer. It worked, I can join game lobbies without crashing but now my game won't authenticate. My game used to be authenticated before I used LSPFix.

Edit:
Woot. I closed Steam, deleted the authkey file and restarted Steam and Defcon authenticated.
Pvt.Petey
level0

Postby Pvt.Petey » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:17 pm

could this please get stickied if its a potential temporary fix?.

It will probably require more testing first however to confirm it.
Pvt.Petey
level0

Postby Pvt.Petey » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:09 pm

Ok this works for me.

Seems to be a simple fix.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”