Spectacular Video Card Crash

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

LutjeKabal
level1
level1

Postby LutjeKabal » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:17 pm

What is the recommended maximum heat a ATI graphic card can take?
hamburerfranz
level0

Postby hamburerfranz » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:04 am

Notebook headed back to HP tomorrow - video card is toast. Careful.
ajohn505
level0

Postby ajohn505 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:05 am

xander wrote:Would you like me to photocopy you some graduate level statistic texts that define risk? I do, in fact, know what I am talking about. The "risk" that you describe probably less than 1 in 1,000, and I have yet to see any conclusive evidence that this rate is higher than the background failure rate of ATi cards. I could state that correlation does not indicate causation, but you have yet to even demonstrate correlation.

I have no problems with other games, I have a problem with this game.

Don't crowd out the people with problems ON A TROUBLESHOOTING FORUM by trying to convince people that they're not having a problem. kthxbye
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:27 am

LutjeKabal wrote:What is the recommended maximum heat a ATI graphic card can take?

That depends on the model, but as a rule of thumb it's best to never let it get over about 60c.

NeoThermic
LutjeKabal
level1
level1

Postby LutjeKabal » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:07 pm

Well, my radeon RX800XT goes straight up to 70-72 and stays there when playing Defcon.. I can play Doom 3,Silent Hunter 3, Warhammer:Dawn Of War and all my other games on full settings on my PC without any lag or overheating my video card. This is a serious issue... :evil: I want play this game again untill this is fixed... And why arent Introversion responding on this issue in the forum?? :evil:
LutjeKabal
level1
level1

Postby LutjeKabal » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:13 am

Get This... My Graphic Card goes From 50 To Above 60(probaly 72, aint patient enough to watch my card fry) Degrees C In The Fucking Main Menu. This Game Must Be Fucking Rigged...
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:42 am

LutjeKabal wrote:Well, my radeon RX800XT goes straight up to 70-72 and stays there when playing Defcon.. I can play Doom 3,Silent Hunter 3, Warhammer:Dawn Of War and all my other games on full settings on my PC without any lag or overheating my video card. This is a serious issue... :evil: I want play this game again untill this is fixed... And why arent Introversion responding on this issue in the forum?? :evil:

Ok, for a X800XT, the maximum operating temperature is 125°C, but maximum before you start to do damage is 105°C

NeoThermic
LutjeKabal
level1
level1

Postby LutjeKabal » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:55 am

Thanks Neothermic, that was very usefull information for me :D
Gloeing Freak
level1
level1

Video card fried

Postby Gloeing Freak » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:19 pm

Well I found a comp to try out my radon 9000 pro in and...... same damn problem.
The card is fried.

Called ATI filed a support ticket, called DELL and I'm outta warrenty.

Well, this sucks...
DarkArc
level0

Postby DarkArc » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:31 pm

Based on the screenshots earlier in this thread I have seen (and fixed) at least one of these problems previously...

Update your motherboard BIOS, the AGP implementation is at fault and after a while (not sure what) it starts sending the wrong data. I got through three top of the range ATI graphics cards cards at the time when a particular game came out that seemed to have ever worsening problems before getting an updated bios from nvidia (nforce3). Subsequently all the 'faulty' cards started working, but I had switched to Nvidia for the fourth one before contacting my motherboard manufacturer (IWill) for them to get Nvidia to get the issue sorted!

The textures are usually stored on the card initially so they aren't corrupt. Those weird triangles, squares and the subsequent 2d graphics problems are the coords (and then 2d frames) being corrupted on the AGP bus when being sent to the card. The card should work in another (totally different) machine if it's the same thing and may work if you completely unplug the computer for a while and then plug it back in (as in kettle lead out for a minute so the bios doesn't remain powered up).

If you suddenly sent a new texture it would also be corrupted. If you try to free memory then it won't free on the card (see the planetside screenshot, the card thinks the memory is in use). If you redraw the triangles (which any game does every frame) they will instantly flicker between one of two locations (possibly the correct shape). A screenshot doesn't capture this spectacular flickering though obviously but it'll be jumping like mad.

Hope this helps!
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby John » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:16 pm

Hi guys

Thanks for your posts, we're keen to resolve these issues if it is at all in our power.

For those of you with full-on hard crashes, particularly if you think it might be graphics related, please could you email us (support at introversion co uk) with the subject line "Graphics Hard Crash" including the following information:
  • Operating System version
  • Motherboard brand and model
  • CPU brand and model
  • RAM brand model and size
  • Harddisk brand and model
  • Drivers versions installed (for graphics driver, chipset).
  • Graphics card (exact brand and model and any identifying marks such as serial number so that we might identify whether these are all in the same batch).
  • Sound card (exact brand and model)
  • Any software that you have installed.
  • Whether you have overclocked any of the components in your system.
  • How long you played Defcon for before noticing a problem.
We can then use this information to set up a test rig to try and replicate and further investigate these problems.

Thanks for your patience,

John
hamburerfranz
level0

Postby hamburerfranz » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:08 pm

Notebook just came back with a new system board, heatsink, fan.
Sylverhawk
level0

card go bye bye

Postby Sylverhawk » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:45 pm

so after only two crashes before first coming to this forum my board still died completely experiancing multiple system lockups in any 3d games, so it is progressive. might be heat related but again my system was very very cooled so it would have to be raising the tempature a whole lot

that being said the new 7600 GT is in the mail so i guess thats a good thing.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”