Game crashes at startup - sound problem?

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Aerothorn
level0

Game crashes at startup - sound problem?

Postby Aerothorn » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:03 am

So I installed Defcon, and was delighted to see that it defaulted to 1680x1050 - thanks for putting that in, guys:)

So I went to options and started adjusting things. Adjusted some sound stuff, hit apply, and the game crashed.

I decided to go back in and try and figure out what it was - changed the htz and it was fine, and channels, but when I tried testing it on 8 channels (just out of curiousity) it crashed again.

This time, though, it wouldn't let me back in - it crashes and I get an error message when I try to start the game, even after restarting my machine.

I use a Creative X-Fi. I tried disabling all background stuff, and switching X-Fi modes and changing settings, and nothing works. I have the latest drivers for Windows, my sound card, and my graphics card. Any ideas?
Swabie
level0

Postby Swabie » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:11 am

We must have posted at nearly the same time.... Does your error look like this?

Interestingly enough... I am also running and LCD at 1650 x 1050 AND i've got a Creative Soundblaster Live card. Might come down to one of those two things.

I've tried running at lower resolutions w/ same effect. Also tried lowering sound channels, etc. to no avail.
Steven
level2
level2

Re: Game crashes at startup - sound problem?

Postby Steven » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:04 am

Aerothorn wrote:I decided to go back in and try and figure out what it was - changed the htz and it was fine, and channels, but when I tried testing it on 8 channels (just out of curiousity) it crashed again.

I'm aware of the cause for this. We fixed this in the Linux code, so I suppose I'll re-hunt the error down in Windows and send a patch to Chris.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”