In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

AIRburst95
level3
level3

Postby AIRburst95 » Sat May 11, 2013 1:00 pm

Deadcows wrote:
AIRburst95 wrote:
Deadcows wrote:Panzer fleet - Ultra tightly packed fleet for maximum firepower and radar coverage around itself. I think thats the correct explanation.
Dosent work in diplo. It much worse than ungrouped fleet(only in diplo).

ahem... naval nukes.

And thats why you should ungroup your fleet at start of Defcon 1 or even little bit before. I thought this was common knowledge to expirienced players.

It really depends on the country, grouping is fine when facing a far off opponent but not a close one. For instance SA V USSR grouping is almost required to be able to fight without being lagged behind while parts of your fleet get attacked and others don't with ungrouping, however, there are certain aspects that can be tweaked to get the perfect combination between defense and offence for every scenario grouping in this case is a positive... Other places like EU V USA grouping would only serve to take out a couple of bb/cv's before a storm of little white circles.

And I'm pretty sure you're not talking about diplo

Code: Select all

It much worse than ungrouped fleet(only in diplo)

And if that's the case then no, never group your fleet in diplomacy, it's one of the worst things you can do IMO.
Deadcows
level2
level2

Postby Deadcows » Sat May 11, 2013 4:27 pm

AIRburst95 wrote:
Deadcows wrote:
AIRburst95 wrote:
Deadcows wrote:Panzer fleet - Ultra tightly packed fleet for maximum firepower and radar coverage around itself. I think thats the correct explanation.

ahem... naval nukes.

And thats why you should ungroup your fleet at start of Defcon 1 or even little bit before. I thought this was common knowledge to expirienced players.

It really depends on the country, grouping is fine when facing a far off opponent but not a close one. For instance SA V USSR grouping is almost required to be able to fight without being lagged behind while parts of your fleet get attacked and others don't with ungrouping, however, there are certain aspects that can be tweaked to get the perfect combination between defense and offence for every scenario grouping in this case is a positive... Other places like EU V USA grouping would only serve to take out a couple of bb/cv's before a storm of little white circles.

And if that's the case then no, never group your fleet in diplomacy, it's one of the worst things you can do IMO.

I said that u shouldnt group fleets in diplo. Might be my bad english that u didnt understand. Grouping fleet is always good(especially in close setup). When u play SA vs Russia usually by the time u reach naval combat range it very close or alrdy defcon 1 which means u need to ungroup your fleet. By grouping fleet i dont mean that u have to use 3 or 4 ship formations. U can very well make a panzer fleet with single units.
AIRburst95
level3
level3

Postby AIRburst95 » Sat May 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Deadcows wrote:
AIRburst95 wrote:
Deadcows wrote:
AIRburst95 wrote:

ahem... naval nukes.

Grouping fleet is always good(especially in close setup).

OK, maybe there is a language problem here so let me point it out to you. BTW i'm color coding everything important.

Nukes can hit water, grouped naval units move slowly when packed together, naval units can only attack after defcon 3 giving you about 10 minutes real time (on slow) to do anything productive, after which you would need to remove your fleet from battle (if your opponent isn't destroyed), because if you don't the actual time it takes you to move your fleet and get them out of radar, or even out of range for that matter, would leave you in a situation where your going to be naval nuked either way. ESPECIALLY in close setup.

I'm not saying grouping is bad, i'm just saying that there are alternatives that can be better for certain scenarios where grouping would be asinine.

Get it? Got it? Good.
Deadcows
level2
level2

Postby Deadcows » Sat May 11, 2013 5:28 pm

Now we are going into discussion of what may happen if do this or if i do that. Ill bring an example. Few months back i played 1v1 with mrmot. I was Africa he was Asia.
I did better pre defcon 1 naval as i usually do against him. He always counters with massive naval nuking. So i just retreat and ungroup at the right time survive those bombers and nukes that got through. Next i cleaned the Indic and won. Btw i used a perfect example of panzer fleet in pre defcon 1 naval.
Acesaspades
level0

Re: Navy Setups

Postby Acesaspades » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Navies should be sparse for the most part. Carriers should be single units to be the most flexible. Battleships can be grouped so as to provide fire =power but should be in no more than groups of 3 otherwise they will be annihilated by SRBMs if you are playing a competent opponent. Subs should be single to provide flexible positioning for nuclear strikes. Although I have seen many players attempt to use them as offense weapons this usually results in their destruction. The subs are you're third nuclear arm and should not be sacrificed for temporary tactical gain. Ultimately once you reach DEFCON 1 all of your bombers should be airborne and target the opposing navy with SRBMs. This should include blind nuking. Coordination between your Air and Navy units will usually result in the other Navy's destruction unless they are using a similar strategy and are better at executing it than you.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”