How to blindnuke silos

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

The_Doctor
level3
level3

Re: How to blindnuke silos

Postby The_Doctor » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:49 am

I was learning to trace and blind against the cpu.
Then I got a 600 $ monitor.
No more blinding for me.
-=DREADLORD=-
level1
level1

Postby -=DREADLORD=- » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:02 pm

tllotpfkamvpe wrote:Here is a theoretical ruler I made ages ago. It shows the art of tracing silos without radar coverage, ie using just the radar of the plane. This is not a trivial thing and much harder than tracing if you already have large cover using land radars, such as in close territories, EU vs USSR.

It shows three planes, one heading straight at the silo, one flying parallel to it and one in between. The radar cover of a fighter on this scale is equal to half a hexagon. This demonstrates how little clues you will have to trace back the silo position without addtional radar. The attack range of the silo is 7 hexagons. All these measurments were made using trial and error and using my hexacon grid mod. The grid mod is zoom independant, meaning silo range is always 7 hexes no matter what zoom you are at. However in practise it seems easier to use a ruler to do the tracing and its easy enough to set your zoom level to what you prefer.

Now the important bit.
The little green circles on the planes show where the 1st AA will strike and create a mini explosion. If you are flying directly at the silo, the explosion should occur on the nose of the plane. You can then easily trace to the silo position by extrapolating straight back at the direction of the AA line.

If the plane gets hit on the wing and you saw a little bit of curving of the AA fire at the same time then it becomes much harder to trace back. If the plane gets hit on the back wing it will be very hard to trace back to the silo location.

In theory, you could overlay this ruler with the explosion marks and the silo curve and still be able to trace back. Alternatively just use this knowledge to not trace back if the plane gets hit anywhere apart from directly on the nose of the plane.

And if a Danish bastard accuses you of cheating show them this thread and tell him to learn how to play.

I like this mod.

Can you make addition that has a grid reference so that a player can preplan distances and times?

I was thinking of A B C etc along one axis,
and 1, 2 , 3 , 4 etc against the other? So that each hex has a alpha/numeric location?

The large number of hexes allows for greater accuracy to create boxes from which bombers can assemble to co-ordinate timed launches.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:56 pm

For some reason, I read the topic title as "How to bukkake silos." :\

xander
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:49 pm

New ruler
http://i.imgur.com/1HIbcHC.jpg

How does it work

http://i.imgur.com/wBvrV4N.jpg

d - for scaling zoom, e - radius of silo fire range, s - first hit on fighter that flies almost directly at silo
-=DREADLORD=-
level1
level1

Postby -=DREADLORD=- » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:46 pm

Thanks, I'm going to try it.
nuclear cocaine
level4
level4

Postby nuclear cocaine » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:46 am

woooow epic i will be using this tomarrow thank you space case :)
nuclear cocaine
level4
level4

Postby nuclear cocaine » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:30 am

Success :) no need for a ruler tho I used an envelope .... Marked a guide from the islands above Europe with 3 marks using islands and a little sliver island to the east of the big european islands, then I scouted a cpu silo because I do not have server access like you guys do . Made that silo fire on a plane and drew trajectories, then I marked the max distance of the shell on the envelope and walla.... Instant silo finder lol EPIC tryed and true on cpu :) only problem is I cannot test first fighter hit because theres no way to know if the cpu has max radar without exposing their silos lol ....Thanks space case :) also it's real hard to do if your not close countrys unless you own whole coast, if your that close mine as well scout the normal way and pwn them :)
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:21 am

That's why I try to stay away from marking by first-hit spots, instead sending several fighters in stream to silos so you have a "radar corridor" in which some slugs are likely to dissapear, allowing to draw marks from end-of-fire-range which is always constant for silos.
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Postby The_Doctor » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:05 pm

nuclear cocaine wrote:then I scouted a cpu silo because I do not have server access like you guys do .)

Start the game twice and host on one instance and join on the other.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”