New Players and Mentors

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Dävid
level2
level2

Learning

Postby Dävid » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:58 am

...and JON I learned a lot from you over the years.

I specifically remember one game asking if its ok to quit because you had demoralised me already shortly after the first bomber wave (you nuked my grouped bombers coming in in a predictable fashion, killing 40 or so!!!). :-)
jon
level4
level4

Postby jon » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:20 pm

HA!
http://15percentfaster.com is my new website.
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:43 am

wasn't there and old player called DrunkMum? anyways he taught me a lot and that experience made me want to help the newplayers who are willing to learn
AIRburst95
level3
level3

Postby AIRburst95 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:19 am

BMN wrote:wasn't there and old player called DrunkMum? anyways he taught me a lot and that experience made me want to help the newplayers who are willing to learn

"DrunkMum? anyways he taught..."

Drunk MUM - he ????

is there something no one told me or is this just as confusing to the rest of you?
Dävid
level2
level2

DRUNKMUM

Postby Dävid » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:21 am

? I always got on well with him ...that was when I was more into DIPLO though :-/
crispypiglet
level0

Postby crispypiglet » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:52 pm

Hello all, I have just seen this thread and I am extremely interested in becoming a student.

I know the basics and have won a few diplo games (don't laugh) I certainly have a weakness in Fleet control and would like to be shown how to use my fleets to full effect.

Anyone interested in becoming my mentor?

(P.S im from the UK)

Thanks for reading :)
cza
level4
level4

Postby cza » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:15 pm

It takes a village! And eventually, newbies usually identify people/styles they seek to follow on their own.

I still can remember making Brosef sand my floors for hours. Feels so good under my bare feet now.

Also, I am willing to sign up to give Mrmot some fleet nuking instruction.
quive
level0

Postby quive » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:09 pm

Hey, I'm one of those new guys that picked Defcon up on sale, and I thought I would share my (embarrassingly) 10hr glued-to-the-computer experience. I think I played a total of around 5 games, and by the end of my day I felt Defcon maybe wasn't my thing. The first game I played was just a bunch of us New Player's. It was an enjoyable, "nice", intriquing strategy game without too much actual strategy - that's how I felt at the time. I felt the 6-shipped fleets were difficult to manoeuvre (I now know that this isn't the case hah), and the pace was slow in a game composed of clueless, fire le missles! - nevertheless, enjoyable - beginners.

I am a fool for mass consumerism, and so when Steam Sale comes on, myself and the rest of the possy come in to check the game out, get a feel for it, make some jokes, and ultimately, get our desired injection of sensory pleasure. I understand the inclination to dislike new players, and I imagine its just a natural process of elimination. Nature is fair enough, and but so now im off topic.

My last game, I thought, was a 2v2 with what seemed to be two Defcon pros and two Defcon beginners (myself being one). I was surprisingly nervous about how I appeared to these two dudes, and i figured if I talked enough, we'd eventually all have something to "chat" about. That didn't work. I'm no saint though, don't get me wrong, my conversation skills were becoming more unthoughtful and tongue-in-cheek as my enjoyment of the game was decreasing. Anyways, about five minutes into the 2v2 match, Drunk Mum's newer-than-me ally disconnected and the match was for the most part set in stone for my partner, Tarkus, and I. The conversation, meanwhile, was still deadly silent. Soon enough it was just myself, Tarkus, and the CPU, and I was pretty in awe with the way he was able to time his flight attacks with hardly any wasted space...it was really cool to see the game's objects be used in a strategic way. I said, "damn tarkus, those bombers are lookin pretty pretty good" (or something like that) and things loosened up a bit; he said, "yes" =D. Tarkus was a man of few words. Coming up on around 4 or 5am I ask whether tarkus thinks I could stand a chance against him 1v1. His response, "ok, lets play 1v1". I was ready to sleep, but I figured what the hell and got into the 1v1 server. We started. Right from the beginning, his 3 American battleships placed just in my sights urging my European navy into open sea. It was there I was to be raided from above by a perfect, 10-star fighter jet formation streaking across the open blue to some lovely and almost euphoric background music. I watched my fleet disappear under my entire fighter jet force aimlessly circling, running out of fuel, and shot down one by one. After I retreated to the safety of the Spanish and English shores, he consistently lured me out about three or four times until I had nothing but nukes and a few bombers. But I didn't mind at all. He didnt talk much, but Tarkus showed me how to really play...how it was meant to be done. After we called the game it was time to head off, but not before we found out we live in neighbouring provinces and both work nights! Not so bad, huh. Thanks tarkus for the 1v1.

This probably went on for way too long, so I apologize for the length. I really need some rest. Just thought I'd share my short experience with a "mentor". :)

Summary: me, a new guy "quive", played for far too long and met a great mentor who convinced me to play again tomorrow and perfect my fighter jet formations et al. [/i]
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:16 pm

Welcome, and keep playing, it's well worth it.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:43 am

Yeah, don't expect a lot of chat quive, it takes a lot of concentration to properly handle your navy and planes and in a 2v2 you have to talk things out with your ally. There's not a lot of downtime to chew the fat with your opponent. Even if he's new.
Mrmot
level4
level4

Postby Mrmot » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:04 pm

quive wrote:Hey, I'm one of those new guys that picked Defcon up on sale, and I thought I would share my (embarrassingly) 10hr glued-to-the-computer experience. I think I played a total of around 5 games, and by the end of my day I felt Defcon maybe wasn't my thing. The first game I played was just a bunch of us New Player's. It was an enjoyable, "nice", intriquing strategy game without too much actual strategy - that's how I felt at the time. I felt the 6-shipped fleets were difficult to manoeuvre (I now know that this isn't the case hah), and the pace was slow in a game composed of clueless, fire le missles! - nevertheless, enjoyable - beginners.

I am a fool for mass consumerism, and so when Steam Sale comes on, myself and the rest of the possy come in to check the game out, get a feel for it, make some jokes, and ultimately, get our desired injection of sensory pleasure. I understand the inclination to dislike new players, and I imagine its just a natural process of elimination. Nature is fair enough, and but so now im off topic.

My last game, I thought, was a 2v2 with what seemed to be two Defcon pros and two Defcon beginners (myself being one). I was surprisingly nervous about how I appeared to these two dudes, and i figured if I talked enough, we'd eventually all have something to "chat" about. That didn't work. I'm no saint though, don't get me wrong, my conversation skills were becoming more unthoughtful and tongue-in-cheek as my enjoyment of the game was decreasing. Anyways, about five minutes into the 2v2 match, Drunk Mum's newer-than-me ally disconnected and the match was for the most part set in stone for my partner, Tarkus, and I. The conversation, meanwhile, was still deadly silent. Soon enough it was just myself, Tarkus, and the CPU, and I was pretty in awe with the way he was able to time his flight attacks with hardly any wasted space...it was really cool to see the game's objects be used in a strategic way. I said, "damn tarkus, those bombers are lookin pretty pretty good" (or something like that) and things loosened up a bit; he said, "yes" =D. Tarkus was a man of few words. Coming up on around 4 or 5am I ask whether tarkus thinks I could stand a chance against him 1v1. His response, "ok, lets play 1v1". I was ready to sleep, but I figured what the hell and got into the 1v1 server. We started. Right from the beginning, his 3 American battleships placed just in my sights urging my European navy into open sea. It was there I was to be raided from above by a perfect, 10-star fighter jet formation streaking across the open blue to some lovely and almost euphoric background music. I watched my fleet disappear under my entire fighter jet force aimlessly circling, running out of fuel, and shot down one by one. After I retreated to the safety of the Spanish and English shores, he consistently lured me out about three or four times until I had nothing but nukes and a few bombers. But I didn't mind at all. He didnt talk much, but Tarkus showed me how to really play...how it was meant to be done. After we called the game it was time to head off, but not before we found out we live in neighbouring provinces and both work nights! Not so bad, huh. Thanks tarkus for the 1v1.

This probably went on for way too long, so I apologize for the length. I really need some rest. Just thought I'd share my short experience with a "mentor". :)

Summary: me, a new guy "quive", played for far too long and met a great mentor who convinced me to play again tomorrow and perfect my fighter jet formations et al. [/i]

Watch videos by youtube user gbcan about defcon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQjgen5ZuJo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLe6ejUGezk&feature=plcp
[color=lime]4. Mrmot, the blind nuking king, beast and dishmaster! ++ >
quive
level0

Postby quive » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:30 pm

Those are helpful tips Mrmot. I laughed when the "naval units" video basically confirmed the suspicion that I was one of the worst naval commanders of all time.
Ghost Division
level2
level2

Postby Ghost Division » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi, i know this topic is a little bit old :oops: but any experienced player would like to mentor the little noob here(me) :?:
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:09 pm

Ghost Division wrote:Hi, i know this topic is a little bit old :oops: but any experienced player would like to mentor the little noob here(me) :?:

Are you on steam ?
Ghost Division
level2
level2

Postby Ghost Division » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:32 pm

Yes i am :D same my name is Ghost Division too :D

Return to “Strategic Air Command”