fleet exposure

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

BMN
level2
level2

fleet exposure

Postby BMN » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:56 pm

I noticed that less experienced players often commit their fleets to battle, charge them forward, etc. But experienced players hide their fleets until later in the game, using the minimal amount required to turtle and/or hold off the opposing fleets. It's not even about maneuver, the fleets do usually come in the expected direction in predictable strength + attack patters -only later when the opposition has already wasted much of their resources. This makes for longer games but is very effective. Any thoughts to add?
skyray
level1
level1

Postby skyray » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:06 am

I'm a newer player and my experience was almost the opposite. When playing the US in particular. I'm usually the one that's trying to spread out and hide major fleet elements and then I get caught in a battle against a massive, concentrated AI force that spanks me pretty good. I've tried using "spotter" forces of a BB here and there spread in an arc to localize OP4's concentrated force so that I can use a carrier group waiting in the background to launch a major airstrike. I try to send in a wave of fighters with bombers following close behind aimed at the OP4 carriers. I am somewhat more successful if I position defensive fleet elements within support range of an airbase. I often have 1 or 2 groups of subs (2-3 per group) do an end run around the OP4 fleet to close in to SLBM range for a TOT attack coordinated with the inbound ICBM's. That part works more often than not but the rest of the fleet gets hammered. I also have a hard time locating and attacking their subs. I ALWAYS feel like I just don't have enough to do what I want but....I'm still learning.
Mrmot
level4
level4

Postby Mrmot » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:34 pm

skyray wrote:I'm a newer player and my experience was almost the opposite. When playing the US in particular. I'm usually the one that's trying to spread out and hide major fleet elements and then I get caught in a battle against a massive, concentrated AI force that spanks me pretty good. I've tried using "spotter" forces of a BB here and there spread in an arc to localize OP4's concentrated force so that I can use a carrier group waiting in the background to launch a major airstrike. I try to send in a wave of fighters with bombers following close behind aimed at the OP4 carriers. I am somewhat more successful if I position defensive fleet elements within support range of an airbase. I often have 1 or 2 groups of subs (2-3 per group) do an end run around the OP4 fleet to close in to SLBM range for a TOT attack coordinated with the inbound ICBM's. That part works more often than not but the rest of the fleet gets hammered. I also have a hard time locating and attacking their subs. I ALWAYS feel like I just don't have enough to do what I want but....I'm still learning.

Learn with this and spectate some game between experienced players stealing tips and tricks.

[color=lime]4. Mrmot, the blind nuking king, beast and dishmaster! ++ >

Return to “Strategic Air Command”