Carrier Anti-Sub Controversy

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Nukraine
level2
level2

Carrier Anti-Sub Controversy

Postby Nukraine » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:13 am

In all my time playing, when attempting to kill subs with a carrier, I always try to bring the carrier as close to the enemy sub as possible. Ideally, I try to move the carrier directly on top of the sub in question.

Sometimes even when a carrier is directly on top of a sub, multiple depth charges won't kill it. Yet sometimes when a sub is barely within combat range of the carrier, one depth charge will kill it.

It doesn't make sense.

So here is the question. Is there any hard evidence that supports that the closer a carrier is to a sub, the higher the chance the sub will be killed?
AIRburst95
level3
level3

Re: Carrier Anti-Sub Controversy

Postby AIRburst95 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:24 am

Nukraine wrote:In all my time playing, when attempting to kill subs with a carrier, I always try to bring the carrier as close to the enemy sub as possible. Ideally, I try to move the carrier directly on top of the sub in question.

Sometimes even when a carrier is directly on top of a sub, multiple depth charges won't kill it. Yet sometimes when a sub is barely within combat range of the carrier, one depth charge will kill it.

It doesn't make sense.

So here is the question. Is there any hard evidence that supports that the closer a carrier is to a sub, the higher the chance the sub will be killed?

Not yet but i'll start testing immediatly
Nukraine
level2
level2

Postby Nukraine » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:18 pm

wow thats strange.

so i suppose a good strategy would be to get carriers as far from enemy subs as possible, while barely remaining in range? It's hard to test this because the actual combat range of the carrier is really the range of the depth charge, which remains stationary while the carrier moves.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”