Russia as AI

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

jt23
level0

Russia as AI

Postby jt23 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:02 pm

I apologize if this has been discussed multiple times but I didn't find anything in the searches. So I was doing a small game against the computer the other day I was North America and he was Russia. The Computer is usually not a very good player and easy to beat. So my strategy is to place my subs in the Atlantic Ocean and then move my subs into position in the waters to the North Above Russia I will wait until he tarts launching missiles from his silos. Most of his silos are placed within reach of my subs and I can use nukes from my subs to destroy them along with their air defense so that their big cities like Moscow and Lenningrad as well as the others that a bunched up there will be open to my nuke attacks. Thus causing more damage to their side. I don't use my silos until after all his missiles have dropped so I can minimize my deaths. What is your Strategy and is there a way I can make the game against the computer more challenging?
Noryb
level2
level2

Postby Noryb » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Technically right answer: Play the whole game on 20x speed

Actually right answer: Playing against people will be far more rewarding and far more fun. In the beginning though, far more frustrating. Once you learn it'll be mostly the first two.

(Of course anything people related has the potential to be frustrating. Just take the good with the bad and you still usually wind up ahead.)
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:47 pm

For more challenging CPU games:
-turn on survivor scoring
-put all CPU players in the same alliance
-adjust difficulty by playing 2 - 5 CPUs

Here is a debate about it: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... php?t=4652

Still playing humans is way better.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:21 am

I bought this game in 2006, and for years I would play the CPU (about once a month or so) exclusively. I had this odd aversion to playing against other people, out of some irrational fear that I wouldn't be welcomed into the fold. Don't waste your time like I did, these are good folks and it really is more fun and challenging to play against humans.
Komet
level1
level1

Postby Komet » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:09 pm

Playing the computer's AI will teach you to become a bad player!

Also tutorial is not so helpful... Teach new player bad tatics.....

In 1 game online you learn more than you can in 100 played with CPU
(but only if good players are playing 8) )

Return to “Strategic Air Command”