In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

jon
level4
level4

eu v na advice

Postby jon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:30 am

Hello all

I have some reasonable tactics for most setups but after another massive eu v na fail against MOR I appeal to the defcon commuity for assistance against top players.

My problem is that if I put a lot of fleet in atl they get sea nuked as there is little room to back off. Alternatively if I put a lot above iceland I spent the whole match turtling.

I have had some success with going above na but if they arewise to this it doesn't work well.

Some advice or links to recordings would be great.

Ta
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:57 pm

The best way to think about strategy in any setup is to do this...

1. Recognize all the weaknesess of your own territory (e.g. EU vs NA has very little room to place and almost no room to hide ships without sacrificing defense)
2. Recognize all the weaknesses of your opponents territory (e.g. NA is very vulnerable from under Mexico, NA also has very little room in the N Atlantic)
3. Realize that both players have the exact same number of units (and therefore the same 'chance')
4. Turn weakness into strength:

A. Since EU can't really hide, then don't, be very agressive and put NA in a corner (Florida) and then be ready to follow up naval action with sea nukes as his coast right at defcon 1. This takes a bit of proper timing.

B. If you would rather hide, then go either due south (use a number of BB's to push NA back long enough to get CVs into S Atlantic) or go Artic to Beiring (both routes taken to get you into probably ship free Pacific). Alternatively, you can keep all ships over Iceland and 'hidden' until after the first wave of sea nukes your enemy would throw, and then push hard and carpet bomb his navy while he's trying to figure out where you are.

C. Get better at naval. :wink:

Here is a very good showing of being agressive as EU: http://sfcon.demoszenen.de/dcrec/2011-0 ... _20.38.zip
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
jon
level4
level4

Postby jon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:49 pm

Excellent advice thank you.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”