General Strategies for New Players

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:06 pm

Laika_rus wrote:Idea is nice, but I'm too lazy to

Me too..... I might work on it here and there and maybe in a few months of work I can get something decent. :lol:
-SH
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:07 am

busybody101 wrote:
Deadcows wrote:
busybody101 wrote:How about one massive pre-emptive strike using your subs and missiles.

How about you try that against me?

It would work theoretically. Minuteman missileers only have one to two minutes to get their missiles out of the ground before enemy missiles arrive. Missileers are trained to get their missiles out of the ground and the missiles programmed within a 60 second time frame. If subs are used they would have a matter of minutes. I have been around too many SAC bases in my life time and quizzing some these underground warriors. I was at Malmstrom AFB for the celebration of the activation of the Minuteman Missile last July . It was great. There were Airmen to Generals there from the 60s and the 70s. Truly an awesome sight.

No, it doesn't work theoretically in this game. Suppose you have close territories, such as EU vs Russia or Russia vs Asia. If you open up silos too early, my inbound bomber strike and/or sub strike will get the silos. Supposing far territories, you don't have enough time before Defcon 1 to get your subs into position to fire on the enemy. At least not safely fire on the enemy.

Winning a game of Defcon has more to do with your skills with a scalpel, rather than a sledgehammer. It's about paying attention to details, timing, precision and patience.
busybody101
level1
level1

Postby busybody101 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:11 am

kudayta wrote:
busybody101 wrote:
Deadcows wrote:
busybody101 wrote:How about one massive pre-emptive strike using your subs and missiles.

It would work theoretically. Minuteman missileers only have one to two minutes to get their missiles out of the ground before enemy missiles arrive. Missileers are trained to get their missiles out of the ground and the missiles programmed within a 60 second time frame. If subs are used they would have a matter of minutes. I have been around too many SAC bases in my life time and quizzing some these underground warriors. I was at Malmstrom AFB for the celebration of the activation of the Minuteman Missile last July . It was great. There were Airmen to Generals there from the 60s and the 70s. Truly an awesome sight.

No, it doesn't work theoretically in this game. Suppose you have close territories, such as EU vs Russia or Russia vs Asia. If you open up silos too early, my inbound bomber strike and/or sub strike will get the silos. Supposing far territories, you don't have enough time before Defcon 1 to get your subs into position to fire on the enemy. At least not safely fire on the enemy.

Winning a game of Defcon has more to do with your skills with a scalpel, rather than a sledgehammer. It's about paying attention to details, timing, precision and patience.

We won't know until you try it right? Its called the scientific method.The Oxford English Dictionary defines the scientific method as: "a method or procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses."
busybody101
level1
level1

Postby busybody101 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:17 am

Sicilian Hound wrote:I know there is a lot of this stuff spread out all over the forums but has anyone made a "real" attempt to make a thread that has really good true information. Know what I mean? I mean I would be willing almost to go around the forums and gather all the information and put it on a thread or get it all and make a separate website? Like a FAQ? We have a "unofficial FAQ, but maybe something better?

I like it
Deadcows
level2
level2

Postby Deadcows » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:33 am

busybody101 wrote:
Deadcows wrote:

I guarentee to you that it will not work.
busybody101
level1
level1

Postby busybody101 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:35 am

Deadcows wrote:
busybody101 wrote:
Deadcows wrote:

Again, apply the scientific method on it. In life nothing is guaranteed."Things as certain as death and taxes, can be more firmly believed."-Daniel Defoe 1726
Deadcows
level2
level2

Postby Deadcows » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:11 am

busybody101 wrote:
Deadcows wrote:
busybody101 wrote:
Deadcows wrote:

Again, apply the scientific method on it. In life nothing is guaranteed."Things as certain as death and taxes, can be more firmly believed."-Daniel Defoe 1726

I think you didnt hear me the first time. I WILL GUARENTEE THAT IT WILL NOT WORK.
busybody101
level1
level1

Postby busybody101 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:18 am

Deadcows wrote:
busybody101 wrote:
Deadcows wrote:
busybody101 wrote:
Deadcows wrote:

I think you didnt hear me the first time. I WILL GUARENTEE THAT IT WILL NOT WORK.

Again, you do not know that. This is my opinion like everyone else here.Everyone should be entitled to their opinion. I thought that this would be a place for some independent thought not some Orwellian nightmare. I thought that this would be a place to think outside the box not inside it. Also, you spelled guaranteed incorrectly.
Dirk Diggler
level1
level1

Postby Dirk Diggler » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:38 am

Top Tip number 1:

watch replays of games involving good players from sfcon.
busybody101
level1
level1

Postby busybody101 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:40 am

Dirk Diggler wrote:Top Tip number 1:

watch replays of games involving good players from sfcon.

Great tip, movie and handle
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:44 am

busybody101 wrote:
kudayta wrote:Winning a game of Defcon has more to do with your skills with a scalpel, rather than a sledgehammer. It's about paying attention to details, timing, precision and patience.

We won't know until you try it right?

The game was released 6 years ago. In the time since any and all tactics have been tried.
busybody101
level1
level1

Postby busybody101 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:53 am

MAdMaN wrote:
busybody101 wrote:
kudayta wrote:Winning a game of Defcon has more to do with your skills with a scalpel, rather than a sledgehammer. It's about paying attention to details, timing, precision and patience.

We won't know until you try it right?

The game was released 6 years ago. In the time since any and all tactics have been tried.

I will look through the USAF nuclear archives for something. I have every nuclear test from 1945-1962 and their results on DVD.
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:34 am

Look at your real life scenarios. It absolutely has to work here right? Lol
Deadcows
level2
level2

Postby Deadcows » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:39 am

busybody101 wrote:
Deadcows wrote:
busybody101 wrote:
Deadcows wrote:
busybody101 wrote:
Deadcows wrote:

Again, you do not know that. This is my opinion like everyone else here.Everyone should be entitled to their opinion. I thought that this would be a place for some independent thought not some Orwellian nightmare. I thought that this would be a place to think outside the box not inside it. Also, you spelled guaranteed incorrectly.

I think you didnt hear me second time either. I will say again i guarantee that it will not work!!!!!!!!! As for spelling English isnt my first language so we can start speaking Estonian if you dont like my spelling.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:10 pm

busybody101 wrote:
kudayta wrote:
busybody101 wrote:
Deadcows wrote:

We won't know until you try it right? Its called the scientific method.The Oxford English Dictionary defines the scientific method as: "a method or procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses."

Yes, I'm well versed in the scientific method, thank you. I also have a lot more experience at this game than you do, and I have run this particular experiment several times. You are simply wrong. It does not work against an experienced player.

busybody101 wrote:This is my opinion like everyone else here.Everyone should be entitled to their opinion.

Opinions are valid only in so far as they are informed.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”