Strategic deterrents to prevent first to be stabbed in Diplo

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Barbarossa
level2
level2

Strategic deterrents to prevent first to be stabbed in Diplo

Postby Barbarossa » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:30 pm

As a beginning player I've noticed most advanced players tend to team up and get rid of the "weaklings" first. Many times I'm the first to get kicked out of the green alliance and subsequently have to be a "spectator" for the rest of the show, and if no one is kind enough to be sharing radar, I'm a blind spectator at that..

What are some asymmetrical strategies or tactics for beginner players to deploy in order to deter others from kicking said player out of the alliance (especially in around or towards the beginning stages of the game)

I have tried the following combination with limited to no success, and often times it even gets me kicked out sooner! than had I done simply nothing at all!:

1. I have tried the doctrine of mutual nuclear deterrence by readying (switching to launching mode from air defense mode) two or three of my six silos promptly after Defcon 1. My reasoning is if my neighbors know that if they betray or allow the vote to kick me out right away, I will have nothing to lose, subsequently in my desperation I'll try to score some low hanging easy points of vengeance by targeting the closest and largest enemies cities first.. With 2 or three of my silos having the immediate capability to launch I increase my odds of success of striking and decimating a few of the largest cities closest to me.

2. Same with subs. I have some very placed, well protected submarines (usually two to four) already in the nuclear launch mode. Usually I try to place them within strategical strike range of a potential stabbers larger cities of opportunity.

3. I do the thing where I transport fighters from domestic inner air bases to bases closer to the shore and thus to potential enemy action.

4. At any point in time I try to have a handful of bombers flying holding patterns both from the airbases and carriers, hoping this would be yet another layer of deterrence..

Basically as a new player I understand that without doing some things to project power (or at least make it less attractive for others to preemptively invade)
and without maintaining and sustaining a "power balance" early on in the game, I'm all but assured to be stabbed first..

But it seems by trying these things others feel like I'm being "offensive" and plot to take me out first, when in fact I was attempting to compensate for my skill deficiencies by employing an enhanced state of readiness .. Is this an unavoidable catch-22 or what do you think I should do?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:41 pm

In regular diplo here's the rule of thumb: Be as passive looking as possible without looking weak (place like an experienced player but not aggressively) and then private chat with as many people as possible.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Barbarossa
level2
level2

Postby Barbarossa » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:16 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:In regular diplo here's the rule of thumb: Be as passive looking as possible without looking weak (place like an experienced player but not aggressively) and then private chat with as many people as possible.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. One thing is when I chat too much (private and/or public) some people question if I'm trying to form secret alliances too. I guess that intuitive balance comes only with experience.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:04 am

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barbarossa
level2
level2

Postby Barbarossa » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:06 pm

tllotpfkamvpe wrote:Kick them before they kick you. :)

Edit: as a side note there is a new sfcon server, Premium Pro Diplomacy. You need the usual tournament server passwords to access it. We had a test game on there with 5 players the other day, it was an interesting match. :P

Recording: http://demoszenen.de/defcon/dcrec/2010- ... _18.32.zip

So what's the password?
iRadiated
level2
level2

Postby iRadiated » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:11 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:In regular diplo here's the rule of thumb: Be as passive looking as possible without looking weak (place like an experienced player but not aggressively) and then private chat with as many people as possible.

In all the diplo games I've been involved with Ace he's never followed that strategy.
Normally he starts to attack his immediate neighbor at defcon 3.

I know because I've been his immediate neighbor a few times :)
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:32 pm

That's because I quit playing diplomacy to win a long time ago. It's much more entertaining to do what I do.

Edit: Here is my normal Premium Diplomacy routine, or ARD (R):

1. Before placement, inform one of my immediate neighbors to 'not' place any ships at <insert ocean here>, else there'll be war.
1a. Decide whom to attack with silos at 32:01
2. Wait for neighbor to ignore said warning, let them place fully, then place very aggressively against them.
3. When questioned by said neighbor, re-inform them of the previous warning and (if it's before Defcon 3), give them another opportunity to evacuate 'my' waters.
4. Defcon 3: Laugh as I crush whatever naval forces they have in the area.
5. Defcon 1: Launch my silos at person named in 1a (or alternate if needed), all while still allied.
6. Watch the chaos ensue the remainder of the game (and/or drops that may occur).

[New Player]: "WTH?! Why did you kill my navy?!
Me: Er, didn't I offer an ultimatum earlier?
[New Player]: "I'm going to crush you!!!!!"
Me: Er, how? Haha!
[New Player]: 'New Player has disconnected'

or sometimes

[Known player]: "Oh noes, I have to put up with Rimmer"
Me: Teehee

At this point they either place all ships on the opposite side of the world, attempt to play my game, or ally with me (secretly), all while I make sure my subs (out of radar) will be able to strike them later (if needed).
Admiral Yoshi
level3
level3

Postby Admiral Yoshi » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:14 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:That's because I quit playing diplomacy to win a long time ago. It's much more entertaining to do what I do.

Edit: Here is my normal Premium Diplomacy routine, or ARD (R):

1. Before placement, inform one of my immediate neighbors to 'not' place any ships at <insert ocean here>, else there'll be war.
1a. Decide whom to attack with silos at 32:01
2. Wait for neighbor to ignore said warning, let them place fully, then place very aggressively against them.
3. When questioned by said neighbor, re-inform them of the previous warning and (if it's before Defcon 3), give them another opportunity to evacuate 'my' waters.
4. Defcon 3: Laugh as I crush whatever naval forces they have in the area.
5. Defcon 1: Launch my silos at person named in 1a (or alternate if needed), all while still allied.
6. Watch the chaos ensue the remainder of the game (and/or drops that may occur).

[New Player]: "WTH?! Why did you kill my navy?!
Me: Er, didn't I offer an ultimatum earlier?
[New Player]: "I'm going to crush you!!!!!"
Me: Er, how? Haha!
[New Player]: 'New Player has disconnected'

or sometimes

[Known player]: "Oh noes, I have to put up with Rimmer"
Me: Teehee

At this point they either place all ships on the opposite side of the world, attempt to play my game, or ally with me (secretly), all while I make sure my subs (out of radar) will be able to strike them later (if needed).

So you're a backstabber! I'll keep an eye out for you!

Return to “Strategic Air Command”