Anti-Naval nuking

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Lumberjack
level0

Anti-Naval nuking

Postby Lumberjack » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:12 pm

I've been getting more and more frustrated with naval nuking. I don't use it as a strategy, and don't think people should use it, but that's for a whole different thread (if at all, since I don't see any way of policing games to prevent naval nuking).

I'm not entirely against ALL naval nuking - I often use naval nukes 2-5 times in a game. What I'm frustrated with is that I can't figure out a way to counter players "replacing" their navies with bombers (i.e. 20 or more nukes).

But my anger with naval nuking aside, what (if any) good counters are there to it?[/i]
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:21 pm

There are lots of counters:

a) Kill the bombers before they get into launching range, so that they don't do any damage;
b) Kill the bombers after they get into launching range, so that they never come back;
c) Dodge (maneuvre) with you fleet to minimise damage;
d) MOAR naval nuking than your enemy does :twisted:

General guideline is to have lots of radar coverage and send fighters before enemy bombers can pose any real threat.

Also, your attitude to naval nuking (hate) is a result of you not knowing how to do it yourself or not knbowing how to counter it (or both). Better get into this thing, learn to naval nuke properly and you will like it sooner or later.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:26 pm

Aside from superior firepower (i.e., fighters successfully going after enemy bombers in SRBM mode), the best counter (to any strategy, really) is using the same technique, only better.

• If you are unfamiliar with the player:
    1. Be familiar enough with the tactic (by using it a few time) to know:
      1. when it's coming
      2. where it can come from
      3. how to maneuver ships out of the way (object trails really helps)
  • If you are familiar with the player:
    1. Get the jump on his naval nuke run (learn to anticipate him) by using a fighter screen
      • Don't just send up fighters on auto-pilot, that's just a rookie mistake

Or, what Mike said. :P
Lumberjack
level0

Postby Lumberjack » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:29 pm

rus|Mike wrote:There are lots of counters:

a) Kill the bombers before they get into launching range, so that they don't do any damage;
b) Kill the bombers after they get into launching range, so that they never come back;
c) Dodge (maneuvre) with you fleet to minimise damage;
d) MOAR naval nuking than your enemy does :twisted:

General guideline is to have lots of radar coverage and send fighters before enemy bombers can pose any real threat.

Also, your attidtude to naval nuking (hate) is a result of you not knowing how to do it yourself or not knbowing how to counter it (or both). Better get into this thing, learn to naval nuke properly and you will like it sooner or later.

The first bit is pretty helpful, but 1. I HAVE used naval nuking, I just think it's a cheap strategy, and 2. I have been able to counter naval nukes once or twice, but not when done behind bb/carrier screens.

I may or may not decide to begin using naval nuking more, but I would like to avoid that.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:34 pm

I can tell you from experience that many players have come to rely on naval nuking so much they can be a bit vulnerable to regular old fashioned bomber runs against their own navy. You can use that to your advantage if you don't want to go full on naval nuking, once you learn how to prevent/endure mass naval nuking.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:38 pm

Naval nuking is a big part of the game, so get used to it. Many people overuse it, to their own detriment, tho. Every nuke you waste in the sea could have been points scored. When you're playing good/great players you often need to zero every city, so every nuke counts. It also leaves you open to a counter attack, because your enemy knows where your bombers are, and that they're returning.

-Anticipate when and where bombers will be, and send out fighters to take them. Everyone starts with 44 bombers. When they're gone, your opponent is crippled. Bombers are the most important piece on the whole board. 9 times out of 10, whoever loses more bombers, loses the game.

-RUN! Move like a butterfly, sting like a bee. If you watch great players, in fierce naval battles, they charge and retreat, charge and retreat.

-Keep arc-trails on, so you can gauge where the nukes are going to land. This way, you can dodge them. It works better if you don't group your ships. Singles.

-FIGHTERS! FIGHTERS! FIGHTERS! Send them out, and run.
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:39 pm

Wow I type slow. lol
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:43 pm

Why? wrote: Bombers are the most important piece on the whole board. 9 times out of 10, whoever loses more bombers, loses the game.

This is the only part I really disagree with, I believe carriers are the most important piece on the whole board, even without a single plane, carriers can be very useful.
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:51 pm

Carriers are definitely more valuable. They're moving airbases, that have huge radar and sub hunt. However, what's a carrier without any bombers? Without any planes? It's a sitting duck... with a nice view.

One of the biggest mistakes I see among newer players, is wasting bombers. They send them out to their deaths, in troves. It only keeps me at bay temporarily. When they run out, it's over.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:59 pm

But you made my point for me, mobile bases with extended radar and sub hunting abilities. Bombers are a much more limited unit.

Now, put an empty carrier up against a single bomber and you know who wins. However, that's the only situation where bomber > carrier.
Lumberjack
level0

Postby Lumberjack » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:00 pm

Why? wrote:Carriers are definitely more valuable. They're moving airbases, that have huge radar and sub hunt. However, what's a carrier without any bombers? Without any planes? It's a sitting duck... with a nice view.

That depends - if they're in the middle of the ocean, the view can be really blue and really boring.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:01 pm

I agree about the importance of bombers, there are not very many and they die like flies. A big naval nuking run of your opponent is THE opportunity to half his bomber force. And the 1st naval nuking run is pretty easy predictable: it will happen short after Defcon 1 and the bombers will be their nuke attack range away from your last fleet encounter. So start retreating your fleet short before Defcon 1 and send many fighters at Defcon 1. And take your time to micro them. Once your opponent lost his bombers you can tear him apart with a conventional fleet attack.
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:02 pm

Well what i do is i put out a fighter screen, then behind the fighters i have the battleships following and behind them my bombers, my fighters find the enemy fleet my bombers nuke that fleet, its a handy tactic, and sometimes u catch the enemy fleet off guard and u can take all of their fleet out. It works in your favour most of the time :)
-Vic
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:55 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:14 am

Play FFA (instead of 1v1, 2v2, 3v3), where sea nuking is mostly a waste of time. However, since most ffa games these days degenerate into a 3v3 :roll: you're gonna have to use backstabbing as an alternative :P .

Return to “Strategic Air Command”