How to nuke enemy bombers

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:39 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:28 pm

X-Ray wrote:
X-Ray wrote:This is nonsensical and otherwise futile.

Why? wrote:However, your efforts were futile, as none of this matters at all!

LOL. Thanks for making the very point I tried to make before you spewed vulgar epithets.

Spewing vulgarities? I simply suggested something that your miserable self has contemplated many times. Get it over with already.

You were off base to begin with. You assumed the conversation was seeking something that it wasn't. We all know the game isn't a simulation, and has many flaws. You arrogant cunt. God forbid we have a 'nonsensical' & 'futile' conversation.
    X-Ray
    level2
    level2

Postby X-Ray » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:12 pm

Your posts speak for themselves, irrespective of how you try to spin your overall ignorance and general stupidity.

Tell us again about the speed of sound and the speed of light, Mr. Physics lmao.

Last edited by X-Ray on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
        rus|Mike
        level5
        level5

Postby rus|Mike » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:14 pm

Calm down, children :!:
        Blackbeard
        level4
        level4

Postby Blackbeard » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:11 am

I think I have the answer: The nukes are attached to the end of a series of stiff, hinged (the hinges not being visible to the naked eye) segments, presumibly coiled inside the Silo/bomber, which are then winched to the target, by an extremely thin, but presumibly incredibly strong, red wire.
        The 'arc' they describe, must depend on the stiffness of the hinges - but I don't have that information yet :? .
        Why?
        level5
        level5

Postby Why? » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:33 pm

X-Ray wrote:
          Your posts speak for themselves, irrespective of how you try to spin your overall ignorance and general stupidity.

Tell us again about the speed of sound and the speed of light, Mr. Physics lmao.

you edited that twice over the course of an hour?

Most valuable poster ever
            tllotpfkamvpe
            level5
            level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:46 am

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
            Blackbeard
            level4
            level4

Postby Blackbeard » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:12 pm

MOR's nukes are heatseeking, fact 8) .

Edit: ...but I'm sure they steepen their curve as they get closer to the target (not just MOR's :roll: ) - and think of the crazy things they do at the north pole, or when that Pacific-seam-bug strikes, zig zags, and straight lines.
            Cnl_Death
            level2
            level2

Postby Cnl_Death » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:54 am

he he..... cats
            War Is Hell But Peace Is Boring
            Highestechelon
            level0

Postby Highestechelon » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:41 am

I know this thread has been dead for quite some time now, but its near the top, so I don't see any harm in posting in it.

As for the trajectory of Nukes, I computed the following trajectory for a nuke fired from a silo in Europe at a target in Russia (The Target and Nuke Location being that from the first section of the tutorial, making this easily replicable. Using a screenshot, I got the following as points the warhead occupied during its flight.
            255, 339
            330, 395
            418, 425
            460, 431
            551, 417
            634m 372
            718, 202

Yielding the following Stat Plot

A quadratic regression of these points reveals the expression -0.00299x^2+2.6448x-147.1385
            Or, seen visaully as

Though it deviates slightly, as seen, an R^2 value of ~0.988 indicates that for all intents and purposes, the trajectories can be said to be quadratic.

The target and silo, for the record, are ~511.68 pixels apart, and the missile flight lasted a total of 246 ingame seconds, yielding a speed of 2.08 p/s. Curious to note, a similar calculation on a different trajectory yeilded a speed of 1.954 p/s.... Though the difference may be attribituble to human error, it may also indicate distance as a factor of missile speed.
            Last edited by Highestechelon on Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
            bert_the_turtle
            level5
            level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:35 am

This may be useful if we knew how much a pixel is in degrees latitude/longitude :)
            (But still, it's probably not enough data. Anyone up for using the Bot interface to gather more automatically?)
            Highestechelon
            level0

Postby Highestechelon » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:46 pm

Assuming the approximate launch site to be 51 N, 17 E and the impact site to be ~ 44N, 41 east, the degrees separation as the crow flies is 25. Being 511 pixels in this section, you can find a value of ~20.5 pixels per degree, or in terms of speed of warheads, a value of 0.102 Degrees/In game second....

Testing this, I fired a missile from the above launch site at Gorky, coordinates 56.1 N, 44 E. Doing the math and finding a separation of 27.47 Degrees, I calculate that the missile flight should last about 270 ingame seconds. The actual flight was not far off, at 281 ingame seconds, not exact, but a good approximation. I'll do it a few more times to see if I can pinpoint a more exact value...
            Johnis
            level2
            level2

Postby Johnis » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:27 pm

nuke close .
            nuke ground
            Caiden
            level0

Postby Caiden » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:17 pm

What a nice informative article from yours about How to nuke enemy bombers ! I think your post is so important to people but I need a well post about calculate distances between cities. Are you help me on this subject ? Thanks for your valuable sharing.
            Experiment632
            level2
            level2

Postby Experiment632 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:25 pm

"Bomber" nuking? Now that is a new one and I am surprised I never thought of that before. That could be useful for United States Versus China. After the naval battle is won, it would be a good idea to patrol the various areas of the Pacific with bombers in nuke mode. This would be even easier if the Pacific is totally yours. In that case, using one or two pairs of bombers (1 bomber in each group is in nuke mode while other in each group is in naval attack mode) Spot enemy bombers, nuke them. The results depend obviously on your opponent. Also this is quite useful if both countries navies totally wiped each other out in the primary naval battle. With two human opponents, this could become the potential to have a nuclear "dog fight" between bombers. Too bad I can't practice THAT last one with the extremely dumb AI.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”