Losing, Last Second of the Game: Last-Ditch Stategies

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

THEFALCON
level0

Losing, Last Second of the Game: Last-Ditch Stategies

Postby THEFALCON » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:32 am

It's an unfortunate scenario: Your opponent(s) defeated your navy with his at least somewhat intact. He schooled you on naval combat. The oceans are his for the taking, and your coastline could be surrounded for all you know. What can you do to pull off a win without a navy? What kind of mind games can you play?

Here's some things I've tried:

1. A "Ghost" Launch: Pretend to launch everything you've got, but switch everything back to air defense after only one nuke. If it works, the enemy will freak out and retaliate, exposing his subs to patrolling bombers. Their nukes will be fought off by the unexpected air defense. Problems: This immediately exposes your silo positions, thus inviting another attack. Also, in crowded areas like Europe vs. Africa or SA vs. NA, the time to switch back to air defense is often far too long.

2. Nuking the navy: Absolutely desperate and always funny to watch. Innacurate and also exposes your silos.

These are all I can think of when I am out-played in the ocean. Any ideas at what you can do with only a land-based force? Is there any way to level the playing field again?
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:35 am

3: Go and get a drink and something to eat, watch a little tv. Then return in half an hour, and say, 'gg u really pwned me good'... :P
THEFALCON
level0

Postby THEFALCON » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:27 am

Hey, I guess you're right. You win some, you lose some....
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:43 am

THEFALCON wrote:What can you do to pull off a win without a navy? What kind of mind games can you play?

Launch your silos as soon as possible. Nuke his navy to death. Spread your subs along his coast (if you have any) and wait for his silo launch.
And don't lose all your fleet any more.

THEFALCON wrote:Pretend to launch everything you've got, but switch everything back to air defense after only one nuke.

...and have your silos destroyed. Giving away your silos position is the worst thing you can do.

THEFALCON wrote:Nuking the navy: Absolutely desperate and always funny to watch. Innacurate and also exposes your silos.

Not if you nuke it with bombers.
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:51 pm

This (occasionally) works for me, as long as his navy / subs aren't too near your silos...

Try and start the timer by launching everything you have, but extend your launch somewhat. As in; when you launch, don't stack all the silo launches on each other, but leave a 1min gap between each nuke coming available to actually launching it (similar what the CPU does). This should, if you can set off the timer, leave your opponent with a reduced window to fire in, as he'll be waiting out the nukes so that he has max defence, and hopefully he'll end up firing at you too late to make a real difference.

Either that or he panics when the timer starts and launches at entirely the wrong targets.
Consumerist
level1
level1

Postby Consumerist » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:55 am

if you are already losing I doubt revealing your silo positions will hurt much.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:32 am

Consumerist wrote:if you are already losing I doubt revealing your silo positions will hurt much.

You do realize that this topic is several months old, and that no one cares anymore, right?

xander
Cnl_Death
level2
level2

Postby Cnl_Death » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:12 am

Does this mean you get the 'warm welcome' badge xander? :wink:
War Is Hell But Peace Is Boring

Return to “Strategic Air Command”