agressive playing

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Protect and survive
level1
level1

agressive playing

Postby Protect and survive » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:40 pm

i know some of you might dissagree but is agressive playing really that bad? Im talking about not waiting for defcon 1 and all this carefull beating around the bush. Im talking about luanching a big clump of bombers against a few citys in defcon 2 and then just commpletely going for it in the early stages of defcon 1. All warheads flying. Lets not be too prescice. Its nuclear war not chess. I do agree with the good points of biding your time and waiting. But lets not get too fussy.
Agressive playing is defcon at its best! [/quote][/code][/url]
PROTECT+SURVIVE
zach
level5
level5

Re: agressive playing

Postby zach » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:46 pm

Protect and survive wrote:Lets not be too prescice. Its nuclear war not chess.

I'm glad you're not tasked with the responsibility of national/international defense.

What you're talking about can be fun at times, but I must admit that I personally enjoy careful planning - there's nothing more satisfying than pulling off a synchronous launch towards unprotected major cities.

Also, you might want to read through your own post before hitting Submit. You have three end-tags ([/quote][/code][/url]), but no corresponding begin-tags.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:06 pm

zanzer7 wrote:Also, you might want to read through your own post before hitting Submit. You have three end-tags (/quote][/code][/url]), but no corresponding begin-tags.
If you 'open' one of those tags (i.e. click the button while no text is highlighted), then once you've hit Submit, it'll put the closing tags on the end even if you've deleted the opening tags, which is rather unhelpful.

Ahh, the wonders of phpBB2. ;)

EDIT: extra fail on my part. ;)
Last edited by shinygerbil on Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:09 pm

Protect and survive wrote: Im talking about luanching a big clump of bombers against a few citys in defcon 2 and then just commpletely going for it in the early stages of defcon 1. All warheads flying.

This is actually a really bad idea. If you send the bombers during Defcon 2 that means that you will have at least 12 minutes (if Defcon 1 is 15 minutes then it would be 17 and even worse) of time during which you are closing the distance but are unable to fire. Sending all those bombers in such a manner is a sure fire way to get most, if not all, of them shot down by SAMs and fighters, perhaps without ever getting a chance to fire your nukes.

Now, a blitz attack timed to hit right at Defcon 1 certainly can work, and in the hands of a skilled player is an excellent tool to have available to use.. There are numerous topics on how to pull these off successfully, such as the Beam Attack (not a Defcon 1 move per se, but is indispensable in such an attack), or Suisilos.

Protect and survive wrote:Lets not be too prescice. Its nuclear war not chess. I do agree with the good points of biding your time and waiting. But lets not get too fussy.

What it is is a game, and for many a game is most fun when they win. Not thinking about what you are doing, and firing blind at an enemy is one of the best and quickest ways to lose in this game, and so many experienced players find it to be counter productive o their fun. I can't tell you how many game's I've spectated (and played) where a player could easily have won if they made even a token effort to recon or otherwise plan an orderly attack, but instead jumped the gun and lost significantly for it.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:14 pm

but what about the Magnum launch?? ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:17 pm

shinygerbil wrote:but what about the Magnum launch?? ;)

It counts as one of those exceptions. :D
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:12 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:13 pm

tllotpfkamvpe wrote:Wrong again Feud.

Well, seeing as about 90% of what I say on the IV forums is disagreed with by somebody (with the other 10% consisting mostly of Picture Wars and Debriefs), at least I'm keeping consistent.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:18 pm

I have shit for 6p expirience but I'd say MVPE's right in this one.
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:05 pm

rus|Mike wrote:I have shit for 6p expirience but I'd say MVPE's right in this one.

The issue is launching them into safe airspace out of the range of enemy AA and fleets, where they can hold fail-safe until DEFCON 1 hits (plus their warheads won't arm until 4 minutes into DEFCON 1)

This is not too difficult for Africa and the Americas, but tricky for Asia and Russia and more or less impossible for Europe
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:40 pm

Protect and survive wrote:i know some of you might dissagree but is agressive playing really that bad?
Far from it. It is the only way to win when you play against good players.
Watch some of the old All Star Games. It´s always over after ten minutes in defcon1...
IMO its absolutely necessary to be ready for attack at defcon1. Don´t play around, all that matters are points, points and points.
Attack one country with your landbased bombers, one with your fleet and nuke some big cities elsewhere and you´ll win almost everytime.
It´s not that hard if you´re faster than everyone else.
Things may be different in 1vs1 but with six players everything else is rather stupid.
White--Rabbit
level4
level4

Postby White--Rabbit » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:52 pm

Nightwatch wrote:
Protect and survive wrote:i know some of you might dissagree but is agressive playing really that bad?
Far from it. It is the only way to win when you play against good players.
Watch some of the old All Star Games. It´s always over after ten minutes in defcon1...
IMO its absolutely necessary to be ready for attack at defcon1. Don´t play around, all that matters are points, points and points.
Attack one country with your landbased bombers, one with your fleet and nuke some big cities elsewhere and you´ll win almost everytime.
It´s not that hard if you´re faster than everyone else.
Things may be different in 1vs1 but with six players everything else is rather stupid.

Thats the way i play 6 player. It works unless im playing nighwatch in a 6 player game :lol:
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:16 pm

I love playing Six Player Deafult, with alot of good players. Its like watching a Nuke race.

But I would still save some subs and or some silos with nukes still in them.

Just incase you need those last few points, or silos' taken out to keep you points during the count down.
Abu Jazar
level2
level2

Postby Abu Jazar » Sun May 11, 2008 3:53 am

Those not playing aggressively in default scoring mode lose. It's that simple.
LordVader2.0
level1
level1

Postby LordVader2.0 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:07 am

Protect and survive wrote:i know some of you might dissagree but is agressive playing really that bad? Im talking about not waiting for defcon 1 and all this carefull beating around the bush. Im talking about luanching a big clump of bombers against a few citys in defcon 2 and then just commpletely going for it in the early stages of defcon 1. All warheads flying. Lets not be too prescice. Its nuclear war not chess. I do agree with the good points of biding your time and waiting. But lets not get too fussy.
Agressive playing is defcon at its best!
[/code][/url][/quote]

Of course! I mean Strategy IS Defcon, but sometimes you gotta just "let go"...literally! When DEFCON 1 hits, basically Nuclear Warheads ARE authorized and its bye bye Humanity!

Return to “Strategic Air Command”