7%
Would like to, but don't have time, not even 20 minutes a day. :(
20%

Total votes: 15
White--Rabbit
level4
level4

Postby White--Rabbit » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:26 am

Xocrates wrote:Sooo... how many of you have office 2007? This would be ludicrously easy to do do using some new functions from that one, but a true pain otherwise. :P

I have a version of office 2007 Ent if that would help u guys.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:40 am

Okay. This is what I'll do:

Excel 2007 has some neat functions that will make the job easier, so I'll make an file using that and. Of course, this means that not everybody will have access to the final file, but since I intend to post the results anyway I don't think that to be too serious. Either way, it will probably only be temporary until someone sets up a half decent database :P

Now, here's a list of what it will probably contain:

The ability to retrieve the data on any game as long as an some sort of serial number is introduced (more on that tomorrow)

General stats on games like bloodiest game and player. Higher score etc... It is however unlikely that it will contain how has a higher victory ratio

Complete continent vs continent rundown

General player and player vs player stats, but not specifics. It will probably have data on how many games each player(s) played, wins, losses, continent rundown, total kills, etc... But at this point it is unlikely that it will recover data relative to specific games, or even top kills for a single player. It will however contain the player win ratio.

Thoughts?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:24 am

rus|Mike wrote:What do you mean by "install"? You run the same Defcon.exe 20 times, that's it. After first time it'll ask if you want DEMO status because a key is already used, You say yes and here you go. You'll heve to re-input your key after you finished watching however.

Ah, sorry. I get what you're saying now. Silly me. :roll:

Xocrates, sounds good so far...
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:00 am

No! Microsoft is evil!

What I'm thinking is to put all the info into the database, and then to have a web interface with a bunch of search functionality, and maybe even a (filtered) SQL query capability to let you select based on any criteria you wish. I'll set it up tomorrow as I have the day off school, see how it goes. I don't think a spreadsheet is the best idea as people would have to download new copies or insert the new data themselves... this way we could have some people with some kind of permissions submitting new data to the web interface and the results being updated on the fly.

/EDIT: I've set up the table, can't do the web interface tonight though... anything I've forgotten here?

Code: Select all

+---------------+---------------------------------------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field         | Type                                              | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
+---------------+---------------------------------------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| id            | int(11)                                           | NO   | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
| game_date     | date                                              | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p1_name       | varchar(255)                                      | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p1_kills      | float                                             | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p1_deaths     | float                                             | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p1_collateral | float                                             | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p1_score      | int(11)                                           | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p1_territory  | enum('NA','SA','Europe','Russia','Africa','Asia') | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p2_name       | varchar(255)                                      | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p2_kills      | float                                             | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p2_deaths     | float                                             | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p2_coll       | float                                             | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p2_score      | int(11)                                           | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p2_territory  | enum('NA','SA','Europe','Russia','Africa','Asia') | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:43 am

Pox wrote:/EDIT: I've set up the table, can't do the web interface tonight though... anything I've forgotten here?

You're missing a score mode, unless you're assuming them to be default? If you're assuming it to be default, then you can forgo keeping the overall score as it can be calculated.

NeoThermic
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:03 am

NeoThermic wrote:
Pox wrote:/EDIT: I've set up the table, can't do the web interface tonight though... anything I've forgotten here?

You're missing a score mode, unless you're assuming them to be default? If you're assuming it to be default, then you can forgo keeping the overall score as it can be calculated.

NeoThermic

Hmmm... the Duel servers are on default scoremode by default, and I think we could assume that it would always be default - so yes, the field is redundant.
NZ ARMY
level2
level2

Postby NZ ARMY » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:55 am

Ace - I have a mac.

OS X 10.4.11
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:24 am

Tripper would be in - Dedcon recordings make nice wallpaper. Though I'm not sure about the ability of my Mac to run multiple DEFCON instances, I might only be able to do it slowly!

SQL Suggestions for Pox

- a unique player name table based on KeyID or IP (the same way Bert does it) - otherwise a) spelling/capitalisation mistakes and b) people playing under multiple names might mess things up. This could be linked to the main table by drop-down menu

- autolog fields for recording who entered / edited the record, and when

- a cross-link reference to Bert's dedcon recording

- game duration might also be good

- fields for recording whether P1 or P2 dropped before the end of the game (yes, I mean that game Pox ;) )

- fields for recording whether scores were signed or now (this could be interesting ...)

- a general comments field ...? (yes I use ... erm, don't really write, but use ... SQL at work and we _always_ seem to need a comments field!)

I'll probably think of some more - it'll get more complicated now but it's always better to set it up at the beginning rather than back-update it later ...

Cheers, Tripper
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:29 am

Tripper wrote:Tripper would be in - Dedcon recordings make nice wallpaper. Though I'm not sure about the ability of my Mac to run multiple DEFCON instances, I might only be able to do it slowly!

SQL Suggestions for Pox

- a unique player name table based on KeyID or IP (the same way Bert does it) - otherwise a) spelling/capitalisation mistakes and b) people playing under multiple names might mess things up. This could be linked to the main table by drop-down menu

- autolog fields for recording who entered / edited the record, and when

- a cross-link reference to Bert's dedcon recording

- game duration might also be good

- fields for recording whether P1 or P2 dropped before the end of the game (yes, I mean that game Pox ;) )

- fields for recording whether scores were signed or now (this could be interesting ...)

- a general comments field ...? (yes I use ... erm, don't really write, but use ... SQL at work and we _always_ seem to need a comments field!)

I'll probably think of some more - it'll get more complicated now but it's always better to set it up at the beginning rather than back-update it later ...

Cheers, Tripper

Great, I'll put in the fields for all of these now. I've started on the web interface and got it churning out a few stats from all 1 game I've entered, you can see it at http://pox.is-a-geek.com:8000/defcon_stats/index.php while my computer's on. Once I've got it to a usable stage I'll put it on my 24/7 webspace or maybe host it somewhere else.

Also, I've already got a table of player names and keyIDs going (yes, I'm that sad :P) though a drop-down list mightn't be the best idea... the list could get quite long, so I suggest you just type the name in properly ;) I dunno, might work, we'll see what happens.

EDIT: Okay, new table:

Code: Select all

+------------------+---------------------------------------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field            | Type                                              | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
+------------------+---------------------------------------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| id               | int(11)                                           | NO   | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
| contributor      | int(11)                                           | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| dedcon_recording | varchar(255)                                      | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| game_date        | date                                              | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p1_name          | varchar(255)                                      | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p1_kills         | float                                             | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p1_deaths        | float                                             | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p1_collateral    | float                                             | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p1_score         | int(11)                                           | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p1_territory     | enum('NA','SA','Europe','Russia','Africa','Asia') | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p1_dropped       | enum('N','Y')                                     | NO   |     | N       |                |
| p2_name          | varchar(255)                                      | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p2_kills         | float                                             | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p2_deaths        | float                                             | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p2_coll          | float                                             | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p2_score         | int(11)                                           | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p2_territory     | enum('NA','SA','Europe','Russia','Africa','Asia') | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
| p2_dropped       | enum('N','Y')                                     | NO   |     | N       |                |
| duration         | float                                             | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| scores_signed    | enum('N','Y')                                     | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
| comments         | text                                              | YES  |     | NULL    |                |
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:55 am

Well, if pox says he can get it going, I am more than happy to oblige (although I must admit I was kind of looking foward for the challenge).

I'll stick to get the results then.

Speaking of which, how do you guys want to divide the recordings? By month?
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:02 pm

I like what Pox was talking about :)
A web interface with login system for Admins who will enter the stuff and later on will keep it up to date seems perfect to me :D

And no, not all games on Duels were played with default scores. A couple or two are in some wierd mode but those matches will not spoil our statistics if we're not going to count them, eh? :P

Xocrates wrote:by month?

By hundreds! :lol: :lol: :P
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:12 pm

I think by month is the best way to split it up so as not to get confused... I'd like to announce I've completed July 07 which had a grand total of 1 game. :D
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:23 pm

Tripper wrote:- a unique player name table based on KeyID or IP (the same way Bert does it) - otherwise a) spelling/capitalisation mistakes and b) people playing under multiple names might mess things up. This could be linked to the main table by drop-down menu

And then consider me, who since uses Steam the key changes constantly and which played from two different locations so the IP also changes.
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:34 pm

Xocrates wrote:
Tripper wrote:- a unique player name table based on KeyID or IP (the same way Bert does it) - otherwise a) spelling/capitalisation mistakes and b) people playing under multiple names might mess things up. This could be linked to the main table by drop-down menu

And then consider me, who since uses Steam the key changes constantly and which played from two different locations so the IP also changes.

Consider which one of you, you or your evil twin ;)
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:47 pm

Are you trying to imply there is a "good" twin :wink:

Return to “Strategic Air Command”