Would like to, but don't have time, not even 20 minutes a day. :(
20%

Total votes: 15
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Pseudo Complete 1v1 Stats: Stat Site Evolving. 98% Complete

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:31 pm

Edit: Huzzah! We have a new beginning! Three cheers to Pox: See the stats today!

Please scroll down to see original post/idea

Note: The following is a brief summary of ideas/thoughts/problems listed in this thread which will be updated until a more formal system has been devised to keep track (if ever :P).

Pseudo Trouble Tickets

Correction for "Warning: Division by zero in /home2/g0ldman/public_html/pox/defcon_stats/browse.php on line 474" message.

Unable to edit table. Message displayed: "Insufficient Privileges or Bad URL" Fixed! (works for me too now) -

Suggested Display Features
  1. !! Suggested Stats:
    1. Global
      1. Average kills/deaths/collateral/etc...
      2. !! Player with the mosts kills/kill ratio(% kills per game) Probably should have a minimum number of games played limit, of different classes based on number of games played.
      3. Complete continent vs continent rundown (leaving out games that include "dropped early" by either party?)
      4. Complete player vs player rundown (leaving out games that include "dropped early" by either party?)
      5. Bloodiest game
      6. Total number of games logged
    2. Player Specific
      1. Most reckless player (high collateral)
      2. Most efficient player (based on nukes left)
      3. Total kills/deaths/collateral/etc...
      4. kills/deaths/collateral/etc... ratios
      5. Average kills/deaths/collateral/etc...
      6. Average score
      7. Game Duration
      8. Highest win ratio
      9. Longest Game
      10. Shortest Game
  2. A link out to a screenshot would be most useful for verification purposes
  3. List of all players entered

Suggested Data Entry Features
  1. BIG FAT "export button" (or method of some sort)
  2. Duplicate game entry check
  3. ? Idea/Suggestion/Trouble Ticket area
  4. ? Rating system - from 1 to 5 nukes, in the viewers opinion how interesting / instructive a game was it
  5. ? Multiple screenshots per game with comments could be a power feature - particularly if the DB embeds the full version of each shot. It would be an excellent way to show off tactics / strategies / commentary - the ultimate debriefing / strategy guide
  6. ? Unique player name table based on KeyID or IP (the same way Bert does it) - otherwise a) spelling/capitalization mistakes and b) people playing under multiple names might mess things up. This could be linked to the main table by drop-down menu. In discussion
  7. !! Autolog fields for recording who entered / edited the record and when (?)
  8. !! General comments field Only available when entering/editing game data
  9. Search function by two players
  10. Cross-link reference to Bert's dedcon recording
  11. P1 or P2 dropped before the end of the game
  12. Scores signed field (this could be interesting ...)
= Pseudo Trouble Ticket.
= No action taken.
= Complete, suggestion implemented.
!! = Partially complete, please review.
? = In-thread discussion.
Ø = Can not be implemented.

Please let me know if I've left out a/your suggestion. Just pm it to me and I'll add it. Please submit ideas for stats!

Volunteers
  1. Ace Rimmer August, Jan 1-7th, Feb 8-14 COMPLETE Thanks rus|Mike!
  2. rus|Mike September, Jan 8-15th COMPLETE
  3. Tripper October 14-31, Jan 19-22nd Logging In Progress
  4. Xocrates November, Jan 23-31st COMPLETE
  5. walrus47 December, Feb 1-7th, Oct. 1-8 COMPLETE Oct. 9-14 COMPLETE
  6. Pox - July COMPLETE

There are some games after Feb 14th but dates skip. So, for current (Feb 15th and later), these are OPEN to anybody that has time, just check the stats page to see if the game is already there or not.

Bert says there is a way to skip to the end, but I couldn't get it to work, stay tuned! :cry: Turns out to be false hope, sort of. It works, "JoinAs 0" but at least for me is not as smooth as just speeding up the playback.

The more people that get involved, the fewer recordings each would have to pull data from, so sign up people!

[Original Post] Ok, so all the talk about stats had me thinking that I'd go through bert_the_turtles Dedcon Duel server listings and record every (finished) game's stats logged there. Then I got to thinking some more and realized that there are roughly 150+ games listed since July 31, last year. :shock: That would take quite a while to go through. I'm not talking just scores, but Players, Kills, Deaths, Collateral, Survivors, Nukes, Score, Territories, and Game Date.

This would open up all kinds of numbers for us to drool over. Things like "who has player x defeated the most and with what territory", "the most destructive player", "who actually loses the least", "highest overall win ratio", "most reckless player (high collateral)", "most efficient player (based on nukes left), a better idea of which territories win and which lose; either overall, per player, per set of players... The list goes on and on.

The only problem of course is what I've already mentioned, getting the data. Therefore, what I propose is to divide the recordings up and assign them to all willing and able participants in order to more quickly compile all this data. After all of it has been recorded, then it could be stored online somewhere for all to see (like Google documents, remember the Unofficial Tournament sheets?). We just need two things...

Volunteers and somebody with very good excel/db skills to work up all the possible stats we can think of and of course a template for all the volunteers to use to record the data. We'd want each person to be recording the data in the same format.

Now, I realize that the Dedcon Duel servers aren't a complete picture, but there isn't any other source we can get such information. The Dedcon Demo servers are way too large and have a lot of "unknowns", [DEMO] NewPlayers, scenario testing, and other such undesirables. The Duel servers on the other hand may have a few dropped games, but in general are serious matches that both players intend on completing and have at least some measurable skill. Read that, not as much "Ace using the Star of India against New Player "I just got this game today and it's great! Now, let me put my silos in your radar and my radar on the other side of my territory where it's useless, oh yeah, let me launch my bombers at Defcon 2 at your cities and send them in a direct line!"

So, please sign up by posting your Name in Bold and in Yellow if you are seriously interested in helping. Also, please post your thoughts on stats you'd really like to see posted and then updated regularly after the project is complete. Logging a few games a week shouldn't be too hard once this is complete. :wink:

Lastly, I've asked bert if there's any way to pull this information from the dedcon recordings and/or forcing dedcon to go straight to the end. No response yet, maybe somebody already knows? [/Original Post]
Last edited by Ace Rimmer on Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 38 times in total.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:11 pm

Bert was going to do some sort of database with search and all, no?

Anyway, rus|Mike
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:29 pm

So this was why you wanted my defcon log :P

Anyway, sounds like an interesting challenge, so count with Xocrates

If I manage to find my Defcon log on the weekend, it should allow to easily track the stats for each player. Cross-referencing them however will probably be a pain.

I'll also look into making one from scratch that allows for easier cross-referencing.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:45 pm

I'd be happy to set up a mySQL database for this stuff with some kind of search functionality... once you've got some data collated give me a shout :)
NZ ARMY
level2
level2

Postby NZ ARMY » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:07 pm

Anything that contains the word 'psuedo' piques my interest.

I'm in on the condition that someones babysits me through setting up dedcon so I can watch recordings.

I'm afraid I got lost at 'tarball' last time.

*Provisional* i heart sheep
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:56 pm

Heh, it's pretty easy to setup. Windows, Mac, Linux, other?

Edit: Probably making one from scratch would be best. I toyed with my own just to get an idea of what would be involved and I'm thinking that going into it with the intention of being able to extract as much data as possible would definitely mean starting over would be *cough easier cough*.

I mean, if we undertake this task, we'd want to be able to pull as much interesting data from it as possible right? Like, how many times exactly has rus|Mike lost and by what margin. :P

Also, we could implement some sort of pseudo audit (very minimal and painless and after the fact I'm sure) to go back and spot error check entries. Not that anyone would input, err, mistakes, but we are all human. :wink:

Just remember, we need support, so please recruit others! This will take some time as well. I figure we can get started in the next couple of days once enough people have been given a chance to join up and then divide out the recordings (probably by date) evenly amongst us.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:02 pm

What's the problem, 5 people is more than enough. I'm pretty sure my comp can pun about 10-20 (Defcon + Dedcon) so you can launch a dozen or 2 recordings and go do smth for like 1 hour, come back and input everything :)

EDIT:
Ace Rimmer wrote:Like, how many times exactly has rus|Mike lost and by what margin.

Hehe is it 7:5 or 8:5 with us? :roll:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:04 pm

Maybe, but then you'd have to install about 10-20 different Defcon Demos and who wants to do that? :shock:

Edit: Also, that might be a problem since I'd really love to get the game date. That in and of itself could be very useful. Like, on which day of the week am I most successful against rus|Mike...
Last edited by Ace Rimmer on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:06 pm

you'd have to install about 10-20 different Defcon Demos

What?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:07 pm

rus|Mike wrote:
you'd have to install about 10-20 different Defcon Demos

What?

I've never tried to run multiple dedcon recordings at once and then connect with a single defcon client, have you? Not sure it can be done that way (if that's what you're referring to...)
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:10 pm

Just tried it, works OK. You open 1 recording, then another, you open 1 Defcon, than another, you join 1 payback with one Defcon, you join other playback with another Defcon :D
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:13 pm

rus|Mike wrote:Just tried it, works OK. You open 1 recording, then another, you open 1 Defcon, than another, you join 1 payback with one Defcon, you join other playback with another Defcon :D

Then what I said was true. You said 10-20 (defcon + dedcon), that means one valid Defcon key and up to 19 demo version of Defcon running. Not many others would want to (or might not even be able to) install and run that many Defcon.exe's at the same time. Cause, then you have to clean it all up after is over.

However, if you can and do, more power to you!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:22 pm

You only need one install. You can run it several times.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:23 pm

What do you mean by "install"? You run the same Defcon.exe 20 times, that's it. After first time it'll ask if you want DEMO status because a key is already used, You say yes and here you go. You'll heve to re-input your key after you finished watching however.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:30 am

Sooo... how many of you have office 2007? This would be ludicrously easy to do do using some new functions from that one, but a true pain otherwise. :P

Return to “Strategic Air Command”