Does Anyone Know

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

All American Mobster
level4
level4

Does Anyone Know

Postby All American Mobster » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:46 pm

What the best fleet is? Say, three subs and three carriers? Does anyone have a fleet combination that they use most or all the time and it proves successful to them? Because I am having problems with my fleets.

-$tanley
Angel of Death
level3
level3

Postby Angel of Death » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:01 pm

Trial and error untill you find what best suits you. What have you been using? Watch the recording from Berts servers and see how some (usually the better players) and see how they play.
walrus47
level4
level4

Postby walrus47 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:02 pm

I would say you probably have to find your own way of handling your fleets that you are comfortable with. If you look at the best players they generally all have different ways of handling their fleets.

I think its probably not what way your fleets are made up but rather how you are using them, you should watch a few of the recordings of games to see what way people use their fleets to their advantage and try a few things out for yourself :D
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Re: Does Anyone Know

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:57 pm

All American Mobster wrote:Say, three subs and three carriers?
If you're happy with the fact that the subs will slow the carriers down and that your enemies (and allies) only see the carriers in an odd formation and know there are subs in the missing spots (or recently destroyed ships), then sure, use that :) Every combination has advantages and disadvantages. Even mixing subs with regular ships (although it is largely considered a stupid thing to do) has advantages, the subs won't be surprised by carriers in anti-sub mode and your surface ships can get protection from the subs in active mode.
world idiot
level4
level4

Postby world idiot » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:13 pm

however it is also true that every fleet has disadvantage, not using mixed fleets generally increases flexibility at the cost of ease of management. whereas using mixed fleets makes moving the fleets easier but at the cost of flexibility.
Owner
level1
level1

Postby Owner » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:44 am

Yea for example Feud who is a very great player uses mixed fleets and owns with them and then Torig who is also quite a skilled player(who i also havnt seen on forums in ages) uses fleets of 1 ship it all depends what works best for u its not so much what u make ur fleets of but more how you use them:)
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:51 am

:o Gotcha :wink:

-$tanley
Nuke 'Em
level0

Re: Does Anyone Know

Postby Nuke 'Em » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:27 am

All American Mobster wrote:What the best fleet is? Say, three subs and three carriers? Does anyone have a fleet combination that they use most or all the time and it proves successful to them? Because I am having problems with my fleets.
-$tanley

I like to use one fleet composed of all battleships (the hammer) and one fleet composed of 4 battleships and two carriers (the anvil). Them occasionally, I will put together a hunter-killer group of two subs to sneak into enemy naval formations. But like others have said, you have to tailor your fleets according to expected situation and gameplan.
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:51 am

Owner wrote:Yea for example Feud who is a very great player uses mixed fleets and owns with them and then Torig who is also quite a skilled player(who i also havnt seen on forums in ages) uses fleets of 1 ship it all depends what works best for u its not so much what u make ur fleets of but more how you use them:)

Cheers mate :)

But you need to get your facts straight: I mostly use 2 ship fleets, except for subs ;) And occassionally I would go 1 ship fleets.
Or so I used to. Need to get back into playing :)
Peace and Love
level2
level2

Postby Peace and Love » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:27 am

I used to use all 1 ship fleets. In fact I think I was notorious for it lol.

Then everyone kept screaming "speed the fuck up" so I now use 3 ship fleets for ease in micromanagement. I still retain much of the same strategies though so it's all good.

Generally I advise not to use mixed fleets, especially one of the sub's most important benefits is that it's stealthed and can move around in secret. If it's attatched to a battleship or carrier, your opponent's attention is immediately called toward that sub's location, whether or not they know it's there or not.
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:29 am

Peace and Love wrote:I used to use all 1 ship fleets. In fact I think I was notorious for it lol.

Then everyone kept screaming "speed the fuck up" so I now use 3 ship fleets for ease in micromanagement. I still retain much of the same strategies though so it's all good.

Generally I advise not to use mixed fleets, especially one of the sub's most important benefits is that it's stealthed and can move around in secret. If it's attatched to a battleship or carrier, your opponent's attention is immediately called toward that sub's location, whether or not they know it's there or not.

Not to forget that if you attack a sub to <anything>, it will slow the group down to the speed of the slow sub. Definitely not what you want.
And your ships, should they be sunk, can take out the sub with them ...

I forgot to ask you why the change in style, when I saw you play tonight. Guess that answer's my question ;)
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:47 pm

Just use twos of everyting, works everytime.
Grandstone
level2
level2

Postby Grandstone » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:29 pm

Does speed come with practice? I tried playing smaller unmixed fleets in my last game and I nearly didn't have enough time to place my silos (which would have been pretty embarrassing). I lost anyway. I should probably practice against the AI a bit.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:06 pm

Grandstone wrote:Does speed come with practice? I tried playing smaller unmixed fleets in my last game and I nearly didn't have enough time to place my silos (which would have been pretty embarrassing). I lost anyway. I should probably practice against the AI a bit.

To a certain extent it does. I would say that with more practice one figures out what strategies work best for them, and once they have figured those out then placement takes much less time (don't forget to slow the time down during the placement phase!).

That being said, speed during the actual game doesn't necessarily come with time. I've had some 1v1 games take more then an hour due to both sides slowing things down to micromanage.
Grandstone
level2
level2

Postby Grandstone » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:09 am

Feud wrote:
Grandstone wrote:Does speed come with practice? I tried playing smaller unmixed fleets in my last game and I nearly didn't have enough time to place my silos (which would have been pretty embarrassing). I lost anyway. I should probably practice against the AI a bit.

To a certain extent it does. I would say that with more practice one figures out what strategies work best for them, and once they have figured those out then placement takes much less time (don't forget to slow the time down during the placement phase!).

That being said, speed during the actual game doesn't necessarily come with time. I've had some 1v1 games take more then an hour due to both sides slowing things down to micromanage.

One of my problems was that I was afraid to set the speed lower when playing with a more experienced player--he could have been a total noob, but I wouldn't know it.

Return to “Strategic Air Command”