In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Fighters, Touchdown! [NEW VIDEO]

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:19 pm

Edit: New video at the bottom...

One thing that tends to bug me is the way nearly all players it seems reload carriers or even airbases with fighters from another source. Call it a pet peeve of mine.

Okay class. First, let's take a look at the way most players do it... wrongly. This first image shows just how most of you do it.
  • In the topmost airbase, the players has chosen to pick a single spot and furiously click away all the fighters.
  • The next base down, the player has chosen to just click away in a single area not caring if each plane goes to the exact same spot or not.
    • In both instances the player selected a point beside or before the carriers.
  • In the third airbase, bottom one, the player has gotten so bold as to send the fighters almost past the carriers!
In nearly every game I spectate I see these three variations of the same error. Number three is the worst. Why? Well it may seem on the surface that this way is the best way, to click it and forget it allowing the fighters to choose where they shall land. The player assumes it'll be the closest empty carrier. However, there are several flaws with this.

• Fighters are notorious for burning unnecessary fuel and will circle carriers not directly in front of them.
    • Red Bull: Requesting Permission to land Delta Wing.
    • Delta Wing: Permission granted Red Bull, come on home. Use direct heading...
    • Red Bull: Negative D. Wing, I'm taking the scenic route. There's a large group of blue whales moving east out here. I'll circle around in a couple hundred miles and join up.
  • Some players take an additional step to give the fighter it's final destination attempting to correct the non-direct fighter approach, which negates the whole click it and forget it idea.
  • In some cases, I've seen the player try to reload carriers at the far edges of their airbases fighter range and watch as fighter after fighter turns to the carrier at the last second only to disappear off the map because it was just too far.
  • I've also seen somebody (well known) pick a point just shy of halfway and watch as fighter after fighter make the turn back to base leaving an empty carrier... with the enemy approaching :shock:
  • Should the enemy appear, the fighters which should by now be getting prepped for a new flight will instead turn around on it's last few gallons of fuel and attempt to engage.
    • Red Bull: D. Wing come in, this is Red Bull. Enemy spotted, turning to engage!
    • D. Wing: Negative Red Bull! Abort! Abort! You only have a few moments of flight time left, you're tanks an near empty! Redirect to heading...
    • Red Bull: Negative D. Wing! I'm going out with glory in a big fiery ball of death and I'm taking them with me!
    • Static...
See how the waypoint shows something other than the carrier? This is completely unnecessary.

Ok, let's look at the proper way to land fighters on the strip.

Instead of assuming it's faster and less time consuming to pick an arbitrary spot to launch fighters, why not give them direct orders? In this way, not only do you help prevent a waste of fuel and potentially a waste of fighters, but you also have a more clear idea of exactly how many you'll need to send out. This then gives you a better overall picture of your resources and where they're at.

See the difference in the pic below and the top one? The fighters will take the most direct route and fly the shortest amount of time/distance necessary. It's very easy to do.

Just left click near the carrier/base that you want to send the fighter/s, hold, sweep over and release on the intended carrier/base. Once you've done it, oh I don't know... two or three times? It's just a fast as selecting a random spot and much more efficient.

You get the added bonus of being able to move your carriers without worry. Why? Because the fighters will now follow the moving carrier while in flight and those not yet launched will head directly at the moving carrier/s too! See how the waypoint is now the carrier itself? A moving waypoint! WOW!

Now, please stop doing it the wrong way! Thank you. Class dismissed.

YouTube version.
Rapidshare version.
Last edited by Ace Rimmer on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:08 pm

thanks for the tip.

i assume this also works if you want to fly fighters from one airbase to another ?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:09 pm

zjoere wrote:thanks for the tip.

i assume this also works if you want to fly fighters from one airbase to another ?

Works for any fighter to landing strip exchange.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Eat_The_Path
level1
level1

Postby Eat_The_Path » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:35 pm

If a carrier is full, will the fighters automatically target the next nearest unfilled carrier? If so, then this technique is quite far and away better. However, if you don't want to spare the attention required to fill up several partially emptied carriers from airbases by direct targeting, putting a waypoint near but not on the carriers, and far enough away that they have plenty of time to turn towards the right target, seems to be the best way. If you don't have the carriers very spread out, the difference in flight time should be minimal.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:17 pm

Yes, if a carrier is full the fighter will automatically change destinations.

Here's a video. Rapidshare

I uploaded it to youtube as well under my account (gbcan) but don't have access at work (I forgot) and can't post a link here at the moment. I did it on my lunch break at home.
Angel of Death
level3
level3

Postby Angel of Death » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:46 pm

I have been wondering about that. Yes I do do it wrong, but only because I didnt know that you can sweep the order over to the carrier, base. I chose a spot , then after the plane launched from the base I give the order where to go.

Thanks again Ace :wink:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:56 pm

Ok, here's the YouTube version.

I was gonna edit it and make it pretty with the tutorial intro and all, but got lazy. Enjoy.

Note: There's at least on fighter that I missed it's intended carrier and it just flys straight out of the top base. Also, if you look closely you can see that a couple of carriers fill up and there's still fighters on their way. Thus, they immediate turn for another, which has just filled up, and then turn again.
Fidel
level1
level1

Venerating Ace

Postby Fidel » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:57 am

O great ACE , i lay in my back, put four legs up, wagg my tail and worship you. :shock: I used to redirect them as they took off
Major pain in the...This is more like it :twisted:
Shall we play a game of chess ? Y/N
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:36 am

JUST REMEMBER not to try it with bombers between distant airbases. Or change them from nuke mode once they launch. ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:12 am

shinygerbil wrote:JUST REMEMBER not to try it with bombers between distant airbases. Or change them from nuke mode once they launch. ;)

*Co...AoD...ugh!* :wink:

Who was the very well known player you speak of on the first post?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:31 am

Care to guess? It wasn't me...
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:32 am

Me? (i'm quite careless when it comes to things like that)
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:34 am

Hyperion wrote:Me? (i'm quite careless when it comes to things like that)

Nope......

anybody remember skynet77812? And, it was within the last few days... :roll:
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:34 am

Pah! He's the greatest player in the world, he has no need for logic!
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:57 am

KingAl wrote:Pah! He's the greatest player in the world, he has no need for logic!

I watched him get beat only yesterday by a player using 6 fleet formations (not Feud, the fleets weren't mixed) he lost all 4 airbases in 1 excellent attacks from 'CLOUN', lol, Angel of Death joined for a few seconds and on inspecting the game said "newb alert..."..."or maybe not"...before leaving.

*remembers Ace's fighter tip*

Return to “Strategic Air Command”