Bomber approach distance

In-depth tactical discussion on how to lose the least

Moderator: Defcon moderators

torq
level3
level3

Bomber approach distance

Postby torq » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:59 am

Has anyone measured the minimal safe approach distance for a bomber. What I mean is how far a bomber can fly when counting down before the launch?
Is there any comparable landmarks on the map to assess that distance. (I.e. as far as from Moscow to London)
NMO
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:26 pm

Surely that's not too hard to measure for yourself...?

(If I wasn't off to work shortly, I'd do it. I do know the rough distance, but I've never measured it very accurately.)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Re: Bomber approach distance

Postby Hyperion » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:04 am

torq wrote:Has anyone measured the minimal safe approach distance for a bomber. What I mean is how far a bomber can fly when counting down before the launch?
Is there any comparable landmarks on the map to assess that distance. (I.e. as far as from Moscow to London)

There is no minimal safe distance for a bombers countdown timer...it depends on too many variables...how far can my opponents AA fire reach....is there a stray fighter in the air to see your bomber...are their unseen naval units ahead of your bomber about to arm itself...its mostly luck each time and practice.
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:31 am

I think I haven't phrased my question well. I asked what is the distance a bomber can cover in 4 minutes when flying on a straight line.
I.e. I launched a bomber from a carrier away from enemy fleet. I need to know the distance my bomber should fly away before it can be turned around to deliver a nuke. I want the target to enter the nuke range at the same moment the countdown is complete. I don't want the bomber fly any closer than it's absolutely necessary.
NMO
mrobertsonesq
level1
level1

Postby mrobertsonesq » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:34 am

fly on a parallel line to the target, thus just staying outside the aa range?
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:39 am

mrobertsonesq wrote:fly on a parallel line to the target, thus just staying outside the aa range?

It's sometimes impossible. Especially in tight quarters like the North Atlantic pool where enemies are everywhere. I just want the bombers to be more effective (flying half the ocean in 'armed' position is a waste of time. It could shoot some ships first and enter the nuke launch mode only when necessary).
NMO

Return to “Strategic Air Command”